post #1 of 46 Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
Cool [Build] Repower MDT with 6.5HP Clone

SEND IN THE CLONES
This is the build thread for my MDT repower.. Gonna be updating this with pictures and such.

This is the old tired 5HP Techumseh with the dual output shafts ...boourns

This is the new 6.5HP Honda clone... its a 196cc Champion Engine

I know other people on the internet have done this repower and have always had problems dealing with moving both the auger and friction plate belts to a single shaft ... the auger works properly but the friction plate controls are backwards

To fix the backward-ness I am gonna flip the gearbox, axles and gear selector linkage
This is the stock configuration before the flip

Here is everything flipped

The friction plate engagement cable clears the drive gear(i may move it a little more to the right just for extra safety) and the only issue I can see right now is with the guide pin

The arm that slides the friction wheel along that shaft is bent in such a away that if i left it stock it would hit the wheel. My work around for this is to extend the pin which will allow the arm to clear the wheel. I figure i could use something like a longer strengthened bolt of steel pin so the arm clears.

Once I get the linkage figured out I will post pics of the engine mounting and the pulley reconfig

anyone see any issues with my idea ?
I think I have everything iron out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AfterFlip.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	762   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeforeEngine.jpg
Views:	1234
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	763   Click image for larger version

Name:	BeforeFlip.jpg
Views:	1214
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	764   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineBack.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	765   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineFront.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	766  

Name:	ModifyPin.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	767  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Got my engine mounted and pulleys have also been mounted
I took the belt tensioner out off the old engine but I wasn't able to keep it spring mounted ... so its more of an idleer pulley now

I had to longate the engine mounting holes to allow me to slide the engine as far forward as possible

One thing left todo is figureout how i am going to extend the output shaft ... see the gap inside the pulley, pulley is only sitting on about 1/3 of the shaft.

• Stack of washers is to lift the gear selector arm up about 3/4 of an inch
  • Drilled new holes for the mounting bracket ... raise the mounting bracket up an inch
  • Drilled out the old pin and inserted a longer bolt

Notice the black lever arm at the very top, its done a 180 flip and now shifts on the other side, this allows me to KEEP all 5 forward speeds and 2 reverse
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	768   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	769   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine3.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	770   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive1.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	771   Click image for larger version

Name:	drive2.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	772  

Name:	drive3.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	773  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks captret thanked for this post
Likes captret liked this post
post #3 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Is there any possibility of finding another pulley with a deeper collar on it, as opposed to figuring out how to extend the power take off shaft?
post #4 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Is there any possibility of finding another pulley with a deeper collar on it, as opposed to figuring out how to extend the power take off shaft?

Well kind of I was thinking of this ... I could get a double groove pulley
Example partnumber 2BK30X3/4
2BK30 x 3/4" bore Two groove vbelt sheave pulley 3.15" outside diameter | eBay

and according to this
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pulley/cat28.pdf a 2BK30X3/4 gives me almost 2 inchs of collar
post #5 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Hi Bain

Since I have the same machine you do just flip the lower auger drive pulley around and you are done. It moves the drive groove forward almost 3/4th of an inch and you do not need to extend the drive shaft. I found this allows me to get by without extending the shaft on my engine or getting a double drive pulley and there is still plenty of room for the lower pulley drive plate and its mechanism. How fast is your machine? I noticed you have a much larger drive pulley for the drive than I do. I noticed that my machine only has one usable speed for blowing now and 4 real fast ones. I have an 8 !/2 inch friction plate on its way so I will let everyone know how it works when I put it in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG060.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG059.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	788  

Last edited by GustoGuy; 11-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks captret thanked for this post
Likes captret liked this post
post #6 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustoGuy View Post
Hi Bain

Since I have the same machine you do just flip the lower auger drive pulley around and you are done. It moves the drive groove forward almost 3/4th of an inch and you do not need to extend the drive shaft. I found this allows me to get by without extending the shaft on my engine or getting a double drive pulley and there is still plenty of room for the lower pulley drive plate and its mechanism. How fast is your machine? I noticed you have a much larger drive pulley for the drive than I do. I noticed that my machine only has one usable speed for blowing now and 4 real fast ones. I have an 8 !/2 inch friction plate on its way so I will let everyone know how it works when I put it in.

I dont know how "fast" my machine is but according to other gocarting websites that use the same clone the govenor tops out at 3500-3600 rpm. I am deffinetly gonna check out that lower auger plate pulley. Btw my drive pulley is 3" if you increase your drive pulley size it would deffinetly slow down your machine.

Ill measure my friction plate ...let you know how wide it is. I like how we did the same swap but have gone about it in different ways
post #7 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have a 2 inch top drive pulley and mine was a bit too fast. The small shaft on the Tecumseh only rotates at half the rate of the larger shaft or about 1800rpm max so a smaller top pulley or a larger friction plate pulley is needed to slow down the drive speed of the machine.
post #8 of 46 Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Hi Bain

Flipping that lower pulley made all the difference ... I slid the upper auger pulley as far back as possible on the output shaft and now there is maybe just 1/4" of pulley not on the output shaft... which is AOK in my books.

Thanks for the tip

Now I just need to replace a couple cotter pins and the belly pans ready to go back on , that and I need to get a piece of tin to create a new belt/pulley cover.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Bain, Glad I could be some assistance with the lower auger pulley suggestion. I took mine all apart to paint it and when putting it together I noticed that I could simply flip the pulley the other way and then I could easily line up the engine pulley without having to extend the drive shaft on the engine I had mine all together and it's faster than I would like it to be and now I am just waiting for the larger lower friction plate and I will then see if it will slow it down to the point were I have a super slow 1st gear for deep snow and a a 2nd and 3rd gear with speeds that can be used for blowing my driveway, I never used 4th or 5th gear for blowing and they are only useful when walking it back to the shed in the back yard for summer storage.
post #10 of 46 Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
Speed

Quote:
I had mine all together and it's faster than I would like it to be and now I am just waiting for the larger lower friction plate and I will then see if it will slow it down to the point were I have a super slow 1st gear for deep snow and a a 2nd and 3rd gear with speeds that can be used for blowing my driveway, I never used 4th or 5th gear for blowing and they are only useful when walking it back to the shed in the back yard for summer storage.
I think you either need to use a smaller pulley on the engine or a larger pulley on the friction disc if you want to slow it down. I think if you just use a bigger friction disc it will speed up the drive rather than slow it down if my memory is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page