LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Repowering and safety features

Any of you who have re-powered, what are you doing with any built in safety features? (i.e. interlock).
I just finished repowering my Ariens, and as of right now, there is no need to have the interlock level down for the engine to continue running when the auger is engaged.

Just interested if people are bothering to hook this stuff back up? I used a B&S snow engine that has a key system, but there's nothing in any documents that I have that illustrate how to deal with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
If I'm understanding what an interlock is... (some kind of additional protection.. if this lever and that lever are this way then do this otherwise do that)
Some people wish it would just go away and consider it just another way to make the engine refuse to start.
Trouble is ... they can fail
Some probably just disconnect the whole wiring and rely on throttle kill switches instead if they can - not sure on that one - thinking aloud

Last edited by unknown1; 10-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
The "Interlock" is basically a dead man switch. If you have the auger lever engaged and you take your hand off the switch, it kills the engine.
Otherwise, you can turn on the auger with the engine running and literally walk away, I feel like that's incredibly dangerous.
It's fine for the engine to run without the auger without someone at the controls.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpleblanc View Post
The "Interlock" is basically a dead man switch. If you have the auger lever engaged and you take your hand off the switch, it kills the engine.
Otherwise, you can turn on the auger with the engine running and literally walk away, I feel like that's incredibly dangerous.
It's fine for the engine to run without the auger without someone at the controls.
Yes that's what I guessed.
Then it's up to you... you seem to think it's important so... get it working :-)

Sometimes I like to scratch my nose.... hate it if the engine shuts down... I'd need to use my other hand ;-)

By the way .. the logic of those systems is "reversed"... some switches are OFF until pushed and others are ON until pushed.
I had a post somewhere explaining how that works for some Toro model somewhere.
Just be on your guard as you try to figure it all out... Normally-open and Normally-closed push switches reverse all the logic.
Some systems like the one on a Toro borrow a little bit of power supply to operate that "Interlock Module" (I'm guessing that's what it's called)
So yes... kinda like a kill switch... or a dead-man switch ...serves the same purpose... but subtle differences... hence the need for the logic in the "Module"

Last edited by unknown1; 10-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
look at the throttle assembly and see if when it is moved to past idle it shorts/grounds out the coil. if so i would think the dead mans switch on the handle could be wired to that contact wire and kill your motor as on the oem engine.
al my toros' don't have a dead mans only a auger stop when the handle is released, to stop the engine on my new one i have to pull out the key or slide the throttle past idle to stop
post #6 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
My snowthrower is old enough it never had a safety interlock. If it did I'm not sure I would re attach it to the new engine. Having a kill switch on the engine that I can reach is good enough for me. YMMV.

Bung hole deep to a tall whiskey barrel.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
look at the throttle assembly and see if when it is moved to past idle it shorts/grounds out the coil. if so i would think the dead mans switch on the handle could be wired to that contact wire and kill your motor as on the oem engine.
al my toros' don't have a dead mans only a auger stop when the handle is released, to stop the engine on my new one i have to pull out the key or slide the throttle past idle to stop
That won't work if the the logic is reversed as I was saying earlier.
If the switches are Normally-open or Normally-closed matters. That was my warning. You may end up going to ground when you squeeze the handle... oops!
In that case.. squeezing the handle would kill the engine.

Last edited by unknown1; 10-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2017, 06:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
I ripped all that stuff off of mine. The OUTLAW DEADMAN rides hard fast and free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 191
Garage
I've only done 2 re-powers on 1980's Toro machines. I kept the shut off systems the same in that they both had an ignition key up on the control panel. I figure you want to keep the safety features (and warning labels) intact so that the safety compliance of the machine is equal to or better than the original.

I had to figure out the wiring of the new engine and splice the ignition switch in accordingly.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #10 of 12 Old 12-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 580
I made sure all the safety interlocks were working on the old Toro's I've rehabbed......not an easy task! I just put a newer 10 hp Techumseh on my older 70's 924 Ariens, and I made sure the auger interlock was connected.......but I have a zip tie on the handlebar to hold down the grip while I use it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page