Un-seized Tecumuseh 10hp Ariens 1027LE: still usable? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Un-seized Tecumuseh 10hp Ariens 1027LE: still usable?

I purchased a new Ariens 1027LE in November, 2007. Ran great, no problems, only ever snapped one shear bolt. Last fall I had a motorhead friend rebuild the carb (new bowl, float, and spring, plus full clean) since it was coughing for a long time after starting up. No problems all last year but it would usually require a quick five minute run then a few pumps on the primer before it would start for real and stay going. No problem. Parked it in the barn over the 2017 summer with gas drained.

Opened up the gas valve, fired it up on first pull, and drove it 100 yards from barn to driveway a few weeks ago. Right about the time I got to the driveway, it did the five minute stall but this time, it didn't just "fade away," but ended with a clunk and seized up. Stupid me, I'd forgotten to check oil and it was empty.

A week in the sun with some Blaster in the cylinder and a quick hit on the electric start this morning and it basically fired right up with no weird noises or perceived power loss. Oh, and I filled the oil. :-)

My question is this: Since it wasn't running full tilt when it seized (it had mostly stalled at that point) is it possible that I didn't fully destroy the rings or the piston head? I have no way of opening it up and I have very limited tools or space to work in. Motorhead friend has since moved to North Carolina. To my ears, eyes, and hands (tactile memory) it's currently working exactly as it used to, but we don't have any snow (not for a few days) for me to test it with and I'm concerned that I did some damage that won't show up until it's critical.

Any thoughts on how badly this unit might be messed up, or is it possible that it's okay, given the low RPMs when it finally seized?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 645
If it Runs Good Without any Noises, it Should be OK. Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff, and Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff.....
post #3 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 30
I doubt it was a piston seize. Tecumsehs w/ aluminum connecting rods don't run long without oil. Place really angry emoticon here.

I predict it will self destruct in short order if you choose to run it. You will know it's done the second time you seize the rod as it will come through the side of the block, making diagnosis much easier. I would pull it apart and remove the transferred aluminum and replace the damaged parts before I ran it again. The parts inside aren't terribly expensive but non ventilated engine blocks are.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

88 Craftsman II Trac-Plus 10/32 [wheeled conversion]
71 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 [Predator 6.5 repower]
72 Ariens SnoThro 6/24 with original Tecumseh H60
7? Ariens Tractor with rotary mower attachment [Tecumseh HSK100 repower]
post #4 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 56
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 148
run it till it blows if at all, if it does blow replace w/a predator motor unless u know how to rebuild it b4 she blows, not worth it to pay someone to rebuild it, imho

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #5 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I may not have been very clear - I'm an IT guy, not a motor guy. Replacing a piston ring in a chainsaw that never worked (and didn't work after I replaced it) is the best I can do with engines. Talking about replacing engines (or even engine parts) is like me going on about having to clear memory buffer allocations and ensuring that you use non-executable stacks and address space layout randomization to prevent malicious code injections.

At this point, I've bought a new snowblower and will sell the old one with a full disclosure to whomever wants to buy it. I'll let the buyer negotiate downwards on price if they're so inclined. Thanks, all.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 13
I had a friend that did that, ran for 30 seconds when he remembered and said oh SH&^. We soaked the cylinder in mystery oil, freed it, he didn't want to open her up so he took it and she's been running strong for 2 years.

Other guy (customer) said he did the same thing. Since he was a paying customer, I inspected the rod, which had some transfer to the crank, so I changed it out. $75 bucks later she's still purring after a few years.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Ok fair enough. How about I put it in more familiar terms.

Running a Tecumseh without oil is like searching for a Russian bride on the internet. Sure you may luck out, BUT more than likely, you have downloaded BadRabbit and would have had to part with some Bitcoins to get your files back.

As you've said, buying a new computer was the solution for you.

There's just one thing I'll guarantee , the best things in life, they sure AIN'T FREE !!

post #8 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yah, some Mystery Oil and Blaster went in there for the better part of two weeks and it seems fine. But new is always better than "might blow a rod through my shin" so I'll just sell it. Besides, the wife said "why don't you just buy a new one" so I had to rush out before the Elves took her back to Santa's workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyW in CT View Post
I had a friend that did that, ran for 30 seconds when he remembered and said oh SH&^. We soaked the cylinder in mystery oil, freed it, he didn't want to open her up so he took it and she's been running strong for 2 years.

Other guy (customer) said he did the same thing. Since he was a paying customer, I inspected the rod, which had some transfer to the crank, so I changed it out. $75 bucks later she's still purring after a few years.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #9 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 03:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Besides, the wife said "why don't you just buy a new one" so I had to rush out before the Elves took her back to Santa's workshop.
Opportunities like that don't come along very often.....

Can I ask where the machine might show up for sale?

post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2017, 05:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
[QUOTE=deezlfan;1351217:

Running a Tecumseh without oil is like searching for a Russian bride on the internet. Sure you may luck out, BUT more than likely, you have downloaded BadRabbit and would have had to part with some Bitcoins to get your files back.

.[/QUOTE]

yep you won't find much about them seizing up.. issue is the con rod is oiled via splash feed. the dipper drops down into the oil splashing up small amounts of oil that lube the crankshaft rod journal .when they lock up the alum. rod has heated up too where it melts into the crankshaft,

parts wise while i have never looked big time.for undersized for tecumseh's i have not seen a undersized con rod like can be had for a kohler that lists a .010 under 'first and only" that allow a auto machine shop to machine the crank undersized. and it is a costly job, local shop i use for my race motors wanted 75 bucks as it takes as long to set up and cut 1 journal as it is for a v6 or v8 and cut them all.
little side note
when you do change a con rod out, make sure the oiler hole faces the right way, in a kohler it faces the camshaft, if installed wrong it doesn't get oil as that hole is the direction of rotation,backwards then 5 mins or less you have a seized motor all over again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in