Repower Toro PowerClear 180 w/ Predator 79cc - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Repower Toro PowerClear 180 w/ Predator 79cc

Hi Everyone,

My first snowblower project. My PowerClear 180 engine took a crap, can't even replace it. After some researching and You Tubing, I've seen several have repowered their blowers with Predator Engines. I just got back from Harbor Freight and picked up the 79cc engine. I'm stuck as I don't know how to adapt the pulley to the Predator shaft. The key is slight bigger on the Predator Engine, and the shaft is shorter too. I'll attach some pictures.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here so that I can get this thing mounted and ready to go? Looks like the bolt pattern should be ok to match up, just stuck with this pulley.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	119281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	119289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loncin Engine.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	119297  

Last edited by gibbywmu; 12-19-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Mistake on Engine Size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
Do you have an electric motor shop anywhere nearby? They could probably help you with an extension (which will probably take the shaft diameter up to a one inch) and a new pulley with the same diameter as the old one.

Last edited by dhazelton; 12-19-2017 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Not that I know of unfortunately, but the shaft diameters are the same size. Your right, its almost like I need an extension, unless its ok to have that pulley half on the shaft. I measured 1 3/4" space from where the pulley went on to the old shaft. Its tapered so it stops at that distance on the old, not on the new......I was hoping I could just swap the pulleys and make them work. I need to make sure its at the same distance so that it lines up with that 2nd pulley for the belt. The key on the Predator shaft is 3/16", not sure what it is from the Loncin Engine but its definitely smaller, so I almost need a key that has 3/16" on the bottom, then smaller at the top so that I can affix the pulley to the shaft. I really have no experience with this and am pretty much stuck. If I can't get this to work I'll have to take the Predator Engine back.

Can I just drill a hole in the pulley and use some sort of set screw instead? What are my options?
post #4 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
They make stepped key and looks like your new engine has 1/4" keyway and the old was 3/16, so 1/4-3/16 stepped key will solve that problem. If the new engine shaft is long enough for 1/2 to 2/3's of the old pulley width for install it will probably work.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Use some Loctite stud and bearing mount on pulley as a little extra insurance.
post #6 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! So, I will look for a stepped key. Is the Loctite Stud and Bearing so that the pulley can't move toward the engine? As I mentioned, the Predator shaft is shorter than the Loncin shaft. I measure and it sits about 1 3/4" from the motor. So, if I put the pulley on the new shaft, it will need to be in that exact position so that the other pulleys are in line.

The Loncin shaft is tapered so it stops exactly where it needs to so the pulleys are in line. I need someway keep it at that same distance on the new shaft.

Is this correct?? Or should I get a brand new pulley with a keyway that fits the predator shaft?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator installed.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	119329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator Install 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	119337  

Last edited by gibbywmu; 12-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 12-19-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, so I've done some further investigating. The keyway on the new 79cc Predator is 3/16". The only documentation I could find on the Loncin, was the it says 5mm x 6.5mm x 16mm...........I'm not exactly which fraction or size that would closest equate to. The stepped keys seem hard to find. No one has stock around here unless I order a ton of it.

This is what I am thinking........wouldn't it be easier just to get another V-Belt Pulley that is the same, or close to, the current pulley dimensions? That way I can match the 3/16" keyway up very easily. If anyone knows where to get these types of pulleys, please let me know. I don't think Home Depot or Lowes carry's them.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
The loctite is so your set screw wouldn't back out. If you tried to use what you have you'd have to drill the pulley and tap it as well, and then there might be a little slop if the set screw isn't close to the same width of the flat of the keyway on the engine shaft.

I don't know offhand what the pulley diameter is, but if you put all those parameters into a google search you'll probably find a pulley you need, most likely from some place like Grainger. As an example I searched "3 inch pulley 3/4 inch shaft 1/4-3/16 stepped key" and got this hit.

https://www.grainger.com/product/5RHY9?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166 591017996!!!g!82166299197!&ef_id=WOuAMgAAAXL0ONGt: 20171220154019:s&kwid=productads-adid^166591017996-device^c-plaid^82166299197-sku^5RHY9-adType^PLA

But again - look in the yellow pages under 'electric motor' and I'll bet you have a shop nearby.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again Dhazelton! I measured the pulley and it is around 2" diameter, with a 5/8 bore. The new pulley I need is 2", 5/8" bore, and has the 3/16" keyway to match the new motor shaft. I found plenty to choose from on Graingers site, so I'll order today and go pick that up tomorrow.

You don't think it matters that the new pulley isn't ribbed do you? The old pulley is ribbed, but the current belt was not and it was working just fine. I'll let you know how it works out after I go pick it up tomorrow.

One things.............should I be concerned that the new shaft is slightly shorter than the old one? If I place the old pulley on the new shaft, in the position it needs to be in so that its aligned to the rest, it looks like its at least 1/2 way on. Do I need to extend the shaft?
post #10 of 26 Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I'd just try it first. Can the other pulleys be shimmed outward if necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page