post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Predator 79cc - Engine Adjustment

Hello,

I recently repowered my Toro power clear 180 with a predator 79cc. After some modifications it seems to be running great. It was way under powered out of the box and could barely throw snow at all. I did have to remove the throttle lever and I'm not sure if it matters of the orientation. Seems like it's functioning just like it did before. Does anyone have a picture up close with the spring attached so I can make sure they are going in the correct holes?

Also please take a look at these pictures. I did adjust the screw on the throttle lever. Seems to give it some more power. I also had to adjust this barely visible screw on the carburetor so that it could not keep hunting/surging. Once I let it run for 5 minutes or so it doesn't seem to want to search anyway. Cleared around 3" off our large driveway today and it seem to run great. Anyone seeing a problem doing what I did with the adjustment screws?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle Lever Screw.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	124290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb Screw.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	124298  

Last edited by gibbywmu; 01-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anyone at all?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I don't have a predator so take that into consideration. The long silver screw appears to be the upper limit screw for setting full governed RPM. The smaller screw appears to be for idle.

Do you have the manual and have you looked to see if these are detailed in there someplace ?? I would warn you against exceeding the RPM limit of the engine. It might throw snow like crazy but only do it for a few outings at an excessive RPM.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Unfortunately the manual does not go into any detail..........especially in regards to adjusting that throttle lever screw and the carb screw. I'm sure I can look up the Max engine RPM, but there is no way to tell what RPM the engine is currently at. If I don't adjust to it to this level, its almost useless using the snowblower since it can't throw the snow far enough.................so I guess you could say I'm risking it, but again the engine doesn't sound like its over revving or working that hard.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
only way to tell what the engine rpm is would be to hook up a tachometer. I have in the past with different engines done the same as you did. most of the time 3600rpm was not exceeded but a couple of times it was. for once in a blue moon use these are cheap enough.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-E...&wl13=&veh=sem

post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks storm. I'll try backing off that carb screw again, but I'm sure I that throttle limit screw needed to be adjusted to give the engine some more umph. The reason I adjusted the carb screw was because when I would increase the throttle, it kept wanting to surge and come back down to the lower speed. Maybe I just needed to let the engine warm up further, so I'll do that again and try backing that carb screw off.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 44
Glad you got it working for you. I'd let it warm up a few minutes before putting a load on it. I'm sure that engine is jetted for warmer temperatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page