Tecumseh HMSK100 on a 10000 Series Ariens - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 7
Tecumseh HMSK100 on a 10000 Series Ariens

I found an HMSK100-159392W engine to replace my HM80-155020 that came on my 32" 1973 Ariens.

I know the HMSK100 is a 3/4" shaft and the HM80 is a 1" shaft, so I'll need sleeve adapter. Other than that, is there anything to be aware of when putting 10hp on a 10000 series? Because it's Tecumseh to Tecumseh, I'm hoping this is as bolt-in as possible. Will the belt cover also work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 94
measure the crank shaft heights, make sure the pulley doesn't have cast in key way
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks WalkThisWhey thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
fcvghfth

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 powershift View Post
measure the crank shaft heights, make sure the pulley doesn't have cast in key way
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
https://www.smallenginesuppliers.com...ine-specs.html

87powershift makes a good point about the "cast in key pulley" as they won't work with a sleeve to up size.
Almost all the upsizing sleeves will require some sanding of the key provided or more accurately the corrosion build up in the old keyway.
Thanks guys, the engine is definetly a single shaft I made sure that was the case.

What exactly is a "cast in keyway?" Are you referring to that small notch along the output shaft, meaning that if it's "cast in" - it's completely filled in vs. the notch being there? Or do you mean the pulley itself it cast on and unable to be removed?

To give more details, the owner said this engine was off a Murray snowblower if that helps.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #6 of 14 Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Some sheaves have a key integral to the sheave that slides into a cut out on the crankshaft. Most sheaves will have a cut out the same as the crank and a key slides into fill both recesses in the crank and sheave. There are different size keys and keyways. When you go form 3/4" to 1" they'll usually need a key that is stepped from 3/16" to 1/4".
Integral key in sheave
Thanks, the seller did confirm there is a keyway and it's 3/16 in size for the 3/4" shaft - it's a 2 hr drive to go pick this up so I am hoping I asked enough questions to confirm this is going to work. I even yanked my HM80 off and am bringing it with me to do some side by side comparison.

The crank is 2.75" (technically 2.826" from that prior link you attached), and most sleeves are 3" like this one I found on eBay - are there any Tecumseh specific sleeves or are most generic and long to be cut to length?

Last edited by WalkThisWhey; 01-20-2018 at 11:09 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Some sheaves have a key integral to the sheave that slides into a cut out on the crankshaft. Most sheaves will have a cut out the same as the crank and a key slides into fill both recesses in the crank and sheave. There are different size keys and keyways. When you go form 3/4" to 1" they'll usually need a key that is stepped from 3/16" to 1/4".
Integral key in sheave:
Well I looked at the engine and didn't recognize the cast in key thing and thought it was a pulley type. Turns out I was wrong, and now I have an HMSK100 with this

I pulled off the first half of it - need to get a narrow jaw pulley to get the second half off and then put the sleeve on. Are you sure I cannot use this engine because of this cast in key? It looks like all I need to do is pull it off and I'm good. HMSK100 images
post #8 of 14 Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
If I'm following correctly, the cast-in key is something on the pulley that you want to use. Not discussing the engine's crankshaft.

It looks to me like you can use the new engine. I think the potential issue is whether your existing pulley have their own "male" keys. But as your original HM80 shows a separate key still on the crankshaft, I'm guessing that your pulley has a female slot for a key, rather than a cast-in male key.

If so, and if you need a sleeve to adapt to the new smaller 3/4" crankshaft diameter, then I think jtclays was saying you may need a special key, with a step, and 2 different widths. But I don't think this would prevent you from using either the new engine, or your existing pulley.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes WalkThisWhey liked this post
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
If I'm following correctly, the cast-in key is something on the pulley that you want to use. Not discussing the engine's crankshaft.
Ah OK thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
It looks to me like you can use the new engine. I think the potential issue is whether your existing pulley have their own "male" keys. But as your original HM80 shows a separate key still on the crankshaft, I'm guessing that your pulley has a female slot for a key, rather than a cast-in male key.
Correct, my original pulley has a female slot for the key.

Quote:
If so, and if you need a sleeve to adapt to the new smaller 3/4" crankshaft diameter, then I think jtclays was saying you may need a special key, with a step, and 2 different widths. But I don't think this would prevent you from using either the new engine, or your existing pulley.
OK thank you, looks like I can use a standard 3/4" to 1" sleeve. Most of the ones I have found are 3" long so it looks like I'll just have to cut to size.

Now all I have to do is remove that rear "half pulley" looking thing, going to get some narrow arm jaws for it.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I ended up getting the new adapter sleeve in, and the pulley is just too small for it - has this happened to anyone?

I am hesitant to machine the inside bore of the pulley to make this fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page