Briggs Intek 206cc install on Ariens 924032 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Briggs Intek 206cc install on Ariens 924032

I recently had to buy a pair of snowblowers (the seller had 4 non-runers to get rid of and was running out of storage space. He would not sell me just the one I really wanted). I managed to fit both snowblowers in my wagon.

Believe it or not, the one I really wanted was the single stage Ariens 722EC shown on the right (7hp from an 139cc engine), but I guess there's nothing wrong with picking up a cheap 7hp 924 series snowblower.

The old Tecumseh had compression but I just could not get it to start up even after cleaning the carb. I decided to swap it out with a Briggs Intek. The donor was a Craftsman pressure washer with a dead pump that I picked up for peanuts. It is 206cc in size, 6.5 hp and burns clean (OHV design).

This is a nearly drop-in replacement. It uses the same engine mount holes as the Tecumseh (once you knock out the original studs), same belts, same pulley (I needed to buy a 3/4" to 1" crankshaft sleeve). The original chute crank even clears the valve cover if you use a longer eye bolt and bend the eye bolt slightly.

The snowblower chassis needed 2 axle bushings and a friction wheel which was easy enough to take care of. If we ever get snow again in Massachusetts this season, I'd love to try it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 03-06-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-24-2018, 11:44 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302

Last edited by jtclays; 03-13-2018 at 05:36 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I fished out a tall chute from my parts bin, it came out of a 924050 that I bought for parts back in 2015.

Also added the missing Ariens logo with a used one on eBay, "just because."

I plan on replacing the tires with used Snow Hog tires (just acquired a Craftsman snowblower with a 9hp engine and 6" Snow Hogs) down the line.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-02-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, here's a long overdue update... I could not stand the mismatching handlebars any longer, and I found a parts snowblower that had a much nicer Ariens nameplate and white handlebars in good condition last night and picked it up this morning (the parts snowblower also yielded a teardrop bucket+cast iron gearbox which will go to a different snowblower project).

Here's the parts machine I picked up - the nameplate and handlebars are in decent shape:

This is not a great picture of the new handlebars installed on the snowblower, but you can see that the mismatching handlebars are now gone. I might put the orange short chute back on when it's time to sell, or maybe i'd leave that choice to the next owner.

Last edited by db130; 12-04-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 34
looking good.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 AM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 898
Likes (Received): 209
Garage
How do you like the single stage Ariens 722EC?

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 40
WOW!!! I could not help think of myself nursing my old Bolens 32'' with a 12 HP Tecumseh engine purchased new in 1986. Finally chuck the towel in an purchased a new Ariens 28 Pro.

You have done an OUTSTANDING job restoring your old machine https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...ies/bowing.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 12-04-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs296 View Post
How do you like the single stage Ariens 722EC?
Thanks for asking!

I buttoned it up using parts from the 522 from this thread -> I pulled the electric starter from the 522 and put it on the 722EC and got one good working machine out of it.

I don't think I got to test it out much after I fixed it up due to lack of snow, and I also picked up a nice Toro CCR3650 to compare against.

A "shootout" will follow as soon as I have snow on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 112
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 898
Likes (Received): 209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
Thanks for asking!

I buttoned it up using parts from the 522 from this thread -> I pulled the electric starter from the 522 and put it on the 722EC and got one good working machine out of it.

I don't think I got to test it out much after I fixed it up due to lack of snow, and I also picked up a nice Toro CCR3650 to compare against.

A "shootout" will follow as soon as I have snow on the ground.
I'm looking forward to your shootout, both nice machines!!

Wake me up when the snow's done...
post #10 of 13 Old 12-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Nice job. We did a nut and bolt level restoration of a 1970 Ariens about 15 years ago. Still in use.

Had to drill new mounting holes but the shaft height and diameter is the same.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks gibbs296 thanked for this post
Likes Seaweed liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in