Looking for new engine for Ariens 30" Platinum Snow Blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Looking for new engine for Ariens 30" Platinum Snow Blower

I am looking for a new engine for my Ariens 30" Platinum Snow Blower. I was blowing some very wet icy slush and it suddenly made a loud noise like something cracked and now when I pull the recoil to start it, there is little to no resistance. Checked the crankcase and there appears to be gasoline in the crankcase where the oil should be and it is black in color. It was not that way when in the Fall and was only used twice all winter. The rest of the snow blower is like new so I think it would be cost effective to replace the engine but I cannot seem to find anyone who sell a complete replacement engine. Thanks.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Iceracer liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 04:05 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 588
Garage
throw a big predator on it, you then might have 12v electric start.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about the failure, that sucks. It sounds like gas drained through the carburetor, most likely, and got into the cylinder, the leaked past into the crankcase, contaminating the oil. Oil with gas in it doesn't lubricate as well; from the symptoms, it seems like maybe the connecting rod broke.

Can you post any info from the engine? That might help people who don't know exactly what's on your machine.

Also, posting where you're located might help. It's possible that someone here might have an engine for sale, if they're near you.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
The engine on my snow blower is an Ariens 342 cc 16.50 ft-lbs gross torque Polar Force Briggs and Stratton engine. Ok, here's the kicker, I live 20 miles from the Ariens Headquarters and Manufacturing Plant in Brillion, WI. If I can't find a replacement engine, is there any way to repair mine. I have had this snow blower for 5 to 6 years and used it maybe 15 times at the most. Everything else associated with the snow blower is in excellent condition. I know either solution is not going to be inexpensive but still less than spending $1700-1800 for a new one.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Dauntae thanked for this post
Likes Iceracer liked this post
post #5 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF Blizzardbob

Harbor Freight sells 6.5, 8 and 13 horse https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-engines.html

You can also find engines at Home Depot, Menards, Farm Supply Stores like Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply ... https://www.homedepot.com/s/briggs%2...izontal?NCNI-5

Someone just got a good deal on a dusty 8hp Briggs a Hardware store had on clearance. Pays to look around and don't forget to search your local area on Craigslist for an engine or a broken machine with a good engine. Get the whole thing and pull the engine and then just post the rest of it for free parts and whatever is left post a free scrap metal ad and it's gone.

There are also some interesting articles on fixing the block with JB Weld if you might be interested in that.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to Re-Powering

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #7 of 14 Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
How handy are you, and how much of a project are you open to?

If nothing cracked the engine block, or put a hole in it, then maybe you got lucky, and the connecting rod broke without destroying the block. If you had the interest, time, and patience, you might be able to open up & rebuild your engine internals, for less than the price of a new engine.

Or you could go with a different, replacement engine. Like the Harbor Freight Predator engines that were mentioned, which are fairly inexpensive, and have a good reputation. But that will take a little more research than just getting an exact replacement for your engine.

The (probably) most-expensive, but most-straightforward option is to get the exact model number of your engine, and see if you can buy a replacement. Calling Ariens would be worthwhile on that front, it's possible they could help guide you to a replacement.

On my Tecumsehs, there is an overall model number, like HMSK80, then there is a more specific number that captures the detail of how the engine is configured. If you find a more-specific number like that for yours, maybe you can find a drop-in replacement.

Googling "342cc Briggs Polar Force" came up with this, as a point of reference. Note that it shows two different configurations of that engine, with two different crankshaft sizes. If you want to find something that can just be swapped easily, you'll need to check the specific engine model # of yours. You might be able to use something with a smaller-diameter crankshaft, but you might need to add a sleeve to use your existing pulleys on the smaller-diameter crankshaft, for instance.
342cc/16.5 GT Snow Briggs & Stratton Horizontal Engines

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #8 of 14 Old 04-16-2018, 05:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
to SBF

Keep in mind that Ariens does not make engines, they buy them. . . obviously from Briggs on this machine. How old is the machine? Warranty?

OPEengines.com is another place where folks, including myself, have bought engines. SmallengineSuppliers.com is also where folks have bought engines. Harbor Freight is another quick/easy source.

See if you can get the dimensions of the output shaft so you can get a replacement with the best fit.

I would look/Google a Briggs & Stratton 16.50 GT Intek engine for the best match to your existing engine, and search for the best deals. Also, if you get the numbers off of the engine, (not the blower) that may help. Current Briggs 16.5 engines have a model number that starts with "21M314"

powerequipmentdirect.com has one listed

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #9 of 14 Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
https://www.kohler-engine-parts.opee...-342cc-p-52261

Seems like one of the better deals, but not exactly inexpensive.

Regards, Ted
Current & Past Fleet:
2017 Husqvarna ST224 (SOLD)
2014 Troy-Bilt 2410 w/ Briggs & Stratton 305cc Engine
2003 Ariens ST824LE (SOLD)
1999 Toro PowerShift 824 w/ 318cc OHV Tecumseh Engine
1988 Toro 521 w/ 212cc Predator Engine
1985 Toro 3521 w/ 179cc Powermore Engine (SOLD)
post #10 of 14 Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 62
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzardbob View Post
I am looking for a new engine for my Ariens 30" Platinum Snow Blower. I was blowing some very wet icy slush and it suddenly made a loud noise like something cracked and now when I pull the recoil to start it, there is little to no resistance. Checked the crankcase and there appears to be gasoline in the crankcase where the oil should be and it is black in color. It was not that way when in the Fall and was only used twice all winter. The rest of the snow blower is like new so I think it would be cost effective to replace the engine but I cannot seem to find anyone who sell a complete replacement engine. Thanks.
Why don't you dig into that one and see what actually broke? A lot of times, complete replacement in not only not needed, but not cost effective . . . . If the block is OK, might be a fairly simple repair.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page