LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 724 Tecumseh -> Predator 212

My '87 Toro blew its original engine over a month ago. I bought it last summer for $150. It would only ever run with the engine choked but it was usable. Would bog down in anything over 4" of powder but I got used to it.

I picked up a Predator 212 at Harbor Freight and got it in place on the frame. I had to drill some new mounting holes to align it properly. Also had to buy a crankshaft bushing. I scrapped all the wiring off the handlebars and installed a tether/kill switch but there's a short somewhere. Neither the kill switch nor the on/off switch will stop the engine now. I'll tackle that later.

When I first started it up it didn't want to run above idle so I figured the main carb jet was too big. I live at 6000' elevation so I figured it was drowning in fuel when I couldn't rev the engine without stalling it. The power chart for Honda says for every 1000' above sea level you lose 3.5% power if I remember right. So I did some math and figured I need a .023-.024 jet.

I ordered a high performance jet kit by mistake and tried messing with the two jets that came with it. I soldered them closed and tried drilling one out but buggered that job. I didn't have the correct size drill bits at the time. I tried using wire from a wire brush, tried a paper clip. Nothing worked. I ended up getting a set of #61-80 drill bits from Rockler to make the jet drilling easier.

I found some .026 (stock is .0307 or #78) Honda jets at gokartsusa.com. It seemed the most reasonable deal I could find. Not happy with the delivery time but they finally arrived. I was disappointed at first because they appeared to be stainless and not brass. I didn't believe I would be able to solder or drill them out if I needed.

This morning I took some time to monkey with the engine. I installed a soldered jet drilled with a #73 bit and started up the engine. It idled beautifully but was hunting pretty bad at high rpms. So I took started stepping up sizes with the other jets. To resize a carb jet it was very easy to place a jet in my cordless drill chuck and hold the small drill bit with a pair of pliers, using the cordless drill as a lathe and the pliers as the tool holder. The gray metal Honda jets drilled like butter.

I stepped through each size of bit all the way to #65 (larger than stock) before I finally got the engine to quit hunting and run just a little rich at high speed. Its not super smooth at high rpms, stumbles a little, a little dark exhaust, and doesn't truly smooth out unless I back the throttle off to 70-80%. Then it runs great. I don't understand how I ended up with such a large jet orifice when the stock jet wasn't working well. Sometimes it goes lean at full throttle and starts hunting again. Is there something else I can do to improve the air/fuel ration? I tried pulling the airbox cover but didn't notice a change. I did not pull the air filter and the vents from the valve cover and gas tank are still in place.

I haven't put it too work yet. It looks like we're getting some light snow tonight so I might try it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190308_221848.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	154729  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-11-2019, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 14
Id try pulling the air filter off all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in