Changing from Predator 212 to LCT Storm King Series 208cc - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Changing from Predator 212 to LCT Storm King Series 208cc

Hi All,

I've had a Predator 212cc repower on my 1968 Ariens 10M6D for a few years. It's got the common stalling issue after a few minutes. I've tried the discussed solutions, including rejet and drilling out the breather system. I'm going to throw in the towel and get another engine.

Rather than get another Predator 212cc, I am looking at this LCT Storm King 208 cc

Before I pull the trigger, is there anything I need to consider? Hole pattern, pulley fit, relocation of the chute rod. I vaguely recall I had to do that when I put the predator on initially.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 261
If you can find a 254cc LCT it uses the exact same footprint to the 208cc so a little extra power if you can find one at a good price

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Received): 190
@ash,

Strange, I also put a 99.00 Predator on my 10M6 years ago ... still working great, and fires right up ... no problems at all. I never had to re-jet or do any drilling on it. I never heard of the Predator having a stalling issue. That sure sounds like bad gas, clogged system, or maybe left untreated gas to long in it. Shame.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #4 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
If you can find a 254cc LCT it uses the exact same footprint to the 208cc so a little extra power if you can find one at a good price
They have the LCT 254cc for $10 more:
post #5 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 02:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 11
I agree with oneacer, my predator on my pressure washer runs great. I picked up the adjustable main jet from a fella on ebay (he isn't selling any right now) and adjusted it and it works great.

As far as engine goes.. 15C107-0040 11.5 Briggs And Stratton Snow Engine 3/4" x 2-5/16" Formerly 8HP from the auction site ebay for about $184 shipped. Has the same crank height as the predator and same mounting pattern and it's a bit more oomph!

Some engines DO NOT HAVE A THROTTLE so be aware of that. I prefer a throttle because I do not like to start a cold engine and have it immediately go wide open.

Not sure what LCT models would work but you need to make sure the crankshaft is 3/4" with a keyway and that it's about 4" from the bottom of the engine base to the center of the crank. Much over the B&S 1150 sized engine and the crank sits another inch higher and you'd need new longer belts and possibly have to modify the belt guard. You don't want to just remove the guard because you'll get snow on the belts and they'll sit and spin.

So yes I fully agree if you're going to spend the money then get a bigger engine! And the predator line won't work because the cranks are 1" on the engines above the 6.5.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
@ash,

Strange, I also put a 99.00 Predator on my 10M6 years ago ... still working great, and fires right up ... no problems at all. I never had to re-jet or do any drilling on it. I never heard of the Predator having a stalling issue. That sure sounds like bad gas, clogged system, or maybe left untreated gas to long in it. Shame.
I am experiencing issues similar to this thread: Stalling thread for the 212

It certainly would not surprise me if there is bad gas, clogs, going on too. It does start relatively easy but just dies out after 15 minutes. It might not be a bad idea to empty the gas and start with some fresh gas. Early on in its life, it ran ok. It is 4 years old now.

I am interested in the LCT because it is seems purpose built for snow throwers and winter use.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
Not sure what LCT models would work but you need to make sure the crankshaft is 3/4" with a keyway and that it's about 4" from the bottom of the engine base to the center of the crank.
Just FYI for anyone interested. The vendor, small engine suppliers, has a link to drawings of the LCT engines. The LCT 254cc looks to have the crank at 106mm (4.17") from the base to the center.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 11
Yup that's the LCT equivalent to the B&S model, at least in regards to displacement. You can also go directly to the manufacturer as that's what the engine supplier did, https://lctusa.com/types/winter-engines/

The 254cc one is good but the 291cc engine is too tall.

The much better deal is the B&S on ebay for about $185 shipped with an electric start. The price is so low because it's a prior model design, you can compare the air cover to the ones on small engine suppliers and see the top edge is more rounded and the key is angled up vs straight out. And the cheaper one doesn't have a fuel shut off but Briggs & Stratton 698180 Fuel Shut-Off Valve For Quantum Engines and 625-675 Series Engines on amazon is $12 so..
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 261
LCT makes I think just 2 size engine blocks, Small is the 136cc to the 254cc the larger is the 291cc to the 414 or 420 (not sure why there are two so close) But the smaller are drop on replacements for each other, I have a Sno-Tek that I got with a locked up engine and found a Husqvana labeled LCT 254cc and it dropped right on and pulley's bolted right up with no mods, I think the engine swap too 45 minutes taking my time.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by notabiker View Post
The much better deal is the B&S on ebay for about $185 shipped with an electric start.
Price already going up
$217.92 shipped + tax

** just bought it anyway.** My predator is off the unit and I got the pulley off no problem, so just waiting now for this bad boy. I hope the chute locator rod fits ok. I already moved it down for the Predator, so hopefully that will clear this.

Last edited by ashwinearl; 11-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page