post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
Need Electrical Guidance

My new main machine is an Ariens 1024 Professional - 924120 - 00112. The unit has a light and heated hand grips. It also had a Tecumseh engine that went bad. The PO gave it to me as a parts machine. I decided to re-power it with a Briggs 14.5GT Snow engine. It runs great.

However, I have to connected the wiring for the hand grips and the light. Using my multimeter, I was able to determine that the power coming out of the engine was 12.6V AC. One red wire and one black wire.

I also used leads to connect a good 12V DC battery to the hand grip/light wiring and the hand grips warmed up. The light did not come on but it might be burned out.

So I have determined that the engine is putting out AC while the Hand grips are DC. I believe that I need a voltage regulator. The trouble is finding one with the correct connections. I could just cut all the wires and re-connect with my own connectors....

Can someone point me in the right direction to find the wire connectors needed? Am I on the right track with the voltage regulator?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_183912.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	160129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_183934.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	160131  

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
Simplicity 860 (1691900-17825) - (Backup machine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 12:05 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
The hand grips should be a resistive load that does not care if it gets AC or DC - same as a 'traditional' light. Only LEDs and other electronics want DC . . .
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 51
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
The hand grips should be a resistive load that does not care if it gets AC or DC - same as a 'traditional' light. Only LEDs and other electronics want DC . . .
The hand grip wire is yellow. Would you say that I could connect the yellow wire to the red wire and the black wire to ground?

The reason I had a voltage regulator in mind is because my neighbor has a similar setup. His Ariens has a Briggs engine with one black wire coming out of the alternator. That black wire connects to a yellow wire on a voltage regulator. Then the red wire of the VR connects to the yellow wire of the hand grips and light.

Bolens 824 (re-powered with Briggs and Stratton 14.5GT snow engine)
Simplicity 860 (1691900-17825) - (Backup machine)

Last edited by Sblg43; 12-02-2019 at 12:23 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
The other end of the connector would be found on the tractor or whatever machine the engine is used on wiring harness.
The alternator in the engine was designed to be used "Non Regulated" so you don't need a voltage regulator to use it for battery charging-D.C.-red wire or lighting/handgrips-A.C.-black wire.
If you need the other end for your engine wire/alternator harness, you should be able to get that harness end at an authorized Briggs&Stratton dealer parts department.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 04:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 192
Garage
Please wire hand warmers correctly.......

They are wired in SERIES, meaning you will connect the red wire to one side of heater switch...
Other side of switch goes to one handgrip wire, then the other handgrip wire continues over to 2nd handgrip...
Then it connects to one of the handgrip wires, then the other wire is connected to the chasis ground .

Each handgrip is 6 volts, wired in series they will be 12 volts.

Here's the schematic, but has different engine wire coloring. From engine red is 12volt AC, black is chassis ground. The rest of schematic is wired like I posted above.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 28" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #6 of 6 Old 12-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 27
This has been answered by the above members, but I'll summarize:
The yellow ariens wire is the hand warmers.
They're wired in series, meaning their resistance adds.
The factory wiring used the alternator ac output for both the heated grips and the light, but because both of these are purely resistive they can both run on DC as well. (note: The alternator output voltage *may be different for ac and DC).
Each hand warmer is about 6 ohms; total of 12 (in series). The factory 1156 light draws around 2 amps (can't accurately remember but that's ballpark).

If you know the applied (ac or DC) voltage use Ohms Law to find your total load, and, thus, the alternator power you will need.

Have fun, good luck.

Ariens 1124DLE
(*sold:Ariens ST27LE)
(*sold: John Deere TRS21)
Toro 821

Last edited by melson; 12-04-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page