LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Predator Engine for Toro 724

I was given a 724 about 10 years ago. Model 38050 / Serial 0005827 (1980) / Tecumseh H70-130176E. Wasn't running right when I got it, so I installed a new carburetor. It has run very well since, starts first or second pull every time. But it has lost power over the past few years, and the motor siezed up on Sunday after we had another big snow here in NW Indiana. Yes, it was a bit low on oil.

I soaked the cylinder with Deep Creep and kerosene, got it to free up, but haven't tried to start it. So from reading the other posts on this forum, I have decided to repower with a new Predator 212 Model 69730 from Harbor Freight. With the 25% discount coupon, $103.77 delivered.

I have also ordered the 3/4" to 1" adapter bushing from this seller on ebay, 3 4X 1" Gas Engine Shaft Sleeve Adapter Bore Reducer Pulley Sheave | eBay

During the disassembly, I also found that I needed a new spherical bushing for the auger, and have ordered that as well.

I'll post additional information when I receive the motor and get the old Toro running again.

I've posted the motor or parts of it for sale, see https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tml#post189441
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF Predator 212.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	13425  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
The Predator is a great swap for old 7hp, you will find it has a bit more power than the old H70. Most shops don't want work on them, but contrary to what some others might say, parts are available for it so it's not just a throw away motor. Nice easy motor to work on, I suggest switching the plug right away and either opening the main jet a touch, or ordering the next size up jet, .32 seems to be the jet of choice although others are using larger jets.

Henry
post #3 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Henry. What plug would you suggest?

From what I can find on the internet, the stock jet is a 0.028"

OMB has this jet kit, includes a 140 emulsion tube and two jets: 0.036 (#9) and 0.037: Jet kit for Honda Clone engines

Would you suggest this kit if I experience cold weather running issues?

On another site, it was posted that one should use a #65 (0.035") bit to ream out the stock jet. It was also suggested that the idle jet could be reamed out with a #77 (0.018") bit for better starting.

Also, would you suggest that I block off some of the recoil starter vents to reduce air flow to the motor in cold weather operation?

Last edited by pcfithian; 03-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #4 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
I switched to the NGK BP-6ES plug and it gives a smoother response when throttling up or down.

The engine is almost sure to surge out of the box, so some rejetting should be done to allow it to run without choke. It really just needs to be opened a little bit to cure the surging but I think you will be ok up to .037 without having to change anything else. I went a bit too far with mine, I used a 1mm bit on mine which translates to .039 and it runs rich. I have ordered the Mega jet kit from OMB and plan to play with the different sizes to see if I can notice any differences.

Some icing may occur on the outer components of the engine depending on conditions in your area. I have found the most vulnerable to be the spring that runs under the gas tank to the throttle linkages. When it freezes you can't throttle up or down.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks toroblower thanked for this post
Likes toroblower liked this post
post #5 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Only block off recoil if you find you are making oil, not evaporating out condensation.

I would not mod anything to help it start. These motors start very easily.

What's a spherical bushing? I guess I have just never come across one before.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #6 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
What's a spherical bushing? I guess I have just never come across one before.
Also called a ball bearing or impeller shaft bearing bushing, part numbers 63-3450, 26-6100, or 12-8789.

Number 27 in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Auger Assembly.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	13489  
post #7 of 102 Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJames View Post
I switched to the NGK BP-6ES plug and it gives a smoother response when throttling up or down.

The engine is almost sure to surge out of the box, so some rejetting should be done to allow it to run without choke. It really just needs to be opened a little bit to cure the surging but I think you will be ok up to .037 without having to change anything else. I went a bit too far with mine, I used a 1mm bit on mine which translates to .039 and it runs rich. I have ordered the Mega jet kit from OMB and plan to play with the different sizes to see if I can notice any differences.

Some icing may occur on the outer components of the engine depending on conditions in your area. I have found the most vulnerable to be the spring that runs under the gas tank to the throttle linkages. When it freezes you can't throttle up or down.
I did this to prevent icing of the govenor linkages. It is made from a sheet of aluminum and I made a sheild with it to keep ice out of the govenor linkages

post #8 of 102 Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I ordered the OMB jet kit referenced below. I'll install the emulsion tube, 0.036 jet, and NGK plug referenced by Henry below prior to start up. Better to do this before gassing it up.

Many thanks for your advice based experience with this Predator engine.

Sort of like a heart transplant on this old Toro. Or maybe I'll have to call it a Torochinda (TORO CHIna hoNDA) from now on?
post #9 of 102 Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I have yet to see a predator swap where the owner wasn't quite pleased with the performance upgrade. I must have gotten very lucky with mine. It stops hunting when it warms up so I haven't had to do anything with my jet.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #10 of 102 Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
I have yet to see a predator swap where the owner wasn't quite pleased with the performance upgrade. I must have gotten very lucky with mine. It stops hunting when it warms up so I haven't had to do anything with my jet.
Harbor Freight Predator engines are jetted correctly for summer running. They are emissions engines and they are already jetted lean and cold weather denser air makes them run even leaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page