LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh HMSK80 seized engine

Hi all, newbie here and 1st post. Have reviewed the site and read a number of posts and was delighted to find so many people willing to help others.

Accidently ran my snowblower without oil and engine seized but was restarted easily after filling crankcase. After restarting, found motor had little power and wouldn't rev up well. Also noticed fair amount of pressure coming from oil fill tube. Have partially dismantled engine and noticed cylinder wall has minor markings which I figure could be honed out. Haven't yet gone into the crankcase to check con rod or bearings etc.
This engine is 19 years old and was running very well before mishap. Now wondering if it's worth repairing or if parts are still available.

Any suggestions would be very welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post
Hi all, newbie here and 1st post. Have reviewed the site and read a number of posts and was delighted to find so many people willing to help others.

Accidently ran my snowblower without oil and engine seized but was restarted easily after filling crankcase. After restarting, found motor had little power and wouldn't rev up well. Also noticed fair amount of pressure coming from oil fill tube. Have partially dismantled engine and noticed cylinder wall has minor markings which I figure could be honed out. Haven't yet gone into the crankcase to check con rod or bearings etc.
This engine is 19 years old and was running very well before mishap. Now wondering if it's worth repairing or if parts are still available.

You have a new boat anchor......put your good cash toward a replacement engine.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
There are many members here that repower their unit with a Harbour Freight engine selling for around $130.00. I'm sure a few will chime in with help in that regard. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy View Post

If you have the time, and know-how, you could bring it back to life. You may even find a donor block, and simply transfer the sheet metal to it.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The 212cc Predator would be perfect for under $100, but those are from Harbor Freight in the states. Canada has a similar store called Princess Auto, but theirs are slightly more expensive. I would say anything you do now is likely to be wasting money. You might get a couple more years out of it, but you will always be wondering if and when it will fail.

At the very least pull the rod out and check the crank journal real well. Usually a little bit of aluminum will melt onto the crank when they heat up from lack of oil. Now it will just keep attracting more aluminum until the rod eventually welds itself to the crank and snaps in half.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 01-06-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 11 Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
There are many members here that repower their unit with a Harbour Freight engine selling for around $130.00. I'm sure a few will chime in with help in that regard. Good Luck
Sorry I didn't notice you are from Ottawa and as Shryp mentioned you might be better off with Princess Auto, I have seen those winter engines and they look adequate for the job. I myself might look at a repower for my 11 HP Tecumseh with an LCT engine which is what Ariens put on their new machines. Good Luck and give us news of your decision.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-27-2015, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 42
A new guy here myself, and I have a 1995 vintage 8/26 w/ an HMSK80. The problem with replacing these engines as I see it is the fact that they have two output shafts. One from the crank and one from the cam shaft. I have not had any luck finding an OHV replacement or even a good used engine. My fear is that if mine goes south, then I'll be SOL.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-27-2015, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 108
Thanks (Received): 164
Likes (Given): 347
Likes (Received): 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
A new guy here myself, and I have a 1995 vintage 8/26 w/ an HMSK80. The problem with replacing these engines as I see it is the fact that they have two output shafts. One from the crank and one from the cam shaft. I have not had any luck finding an OHV replacement or even a good used engine. My fear is that if mine goes south, then I'll be SOL.
If your 8hp engine fails, you can use the original cam and cover and swap it into another Similar 8hp engine to create the double shaft configuration. No Biggie.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Clutch Cargo thanked for this post
Likes classiccat, 43128, Clutch Cargo liked this post
post #9 of 11 Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to he forum Jiffy

In most cases it's not worth the time, trouble and parts to rebuild the damaged Tecumseh. It's possible but almost no one does. So I moved your thread.
to "Re-Powering"

There are also show and tell posts from folks that have done dual to single conversions. It's not ideal but it can be done. Just depends on how much $$ and effort you think the machine you have is worth.

Like Jackmels suggested one really good option if you have some tinkering skills is get another Tec engine with the same size case that would accept the cover from your present engine and freshen that one up.
Kind of depends on what the one you have now looks like. You might even be able to hone and ring it or have it machined +.01 with new rings and be good to go.
It's all a matter of what you can do yourself, how much it costs you and what you think the blower is worth compared to getting something else. If it's your daily driver or just a backup is a big factor too.
Personally I know I've saved machines that I'll never get the money out of them if I tried to sell them but it was a "project".

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-28-2015, 10:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
I'd guess the rings got cooked based on the lack of power and pressure in the oil fill. You might be able to put in a set of rings and be good to go.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page