post #1 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 4
Ariens 10/32 repower to Powerfist 15 hp

Hi all,

Before I buy this motor (it's on sale for $249 cdn!!) I'd like to draw from your collective experience on what complications I'd run into swapping from the original TEC 10 hp to the 15 hp Powerfist GX390 clone.

Need advise regarding mount differences, control rod, pulley and belt changes as well as performance.

I'm thinking of using this frankenblower at the cottage to blow a 1/4 mile driveway, usually has 1-2 feet of established snowfall when I arrive so this thing may get some beats.

will the 15 make a huge difference blowing through that deep and settled snowfall? Or should I ask someone to plow it?

Will the internals of this '79 vintage tank of a blower be ok with a 15 h.p. engine twisting it?

Thanks in advance
Rock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150207_163352_resized.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	42105  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
The shear pins are supposed to be the weak link in the auger system. the rest should take the added torque of the new engine. Are you gonna run an oversized engine pulley?
post #3 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 10
If the blower is over driven by the ratio of the engine HP, there will be no extra torque available to break the pins or the gearbox. The tons of snow moved per hour should increase by the ratio of HP as well.
post #4 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGhost View Post
The shear pins are supposed to be the weak link in the auger system. the rest should take the added torque of the new engine. Are you gonna run an oversized engine pulley?
Yes I have a few sets of OEM shear pins just in case, so far with the 10 hp I've almost stopped the engine a few times moving plow mounds and haven't busted a one.

re: pulley - was thinking of just swapping from the 10 hp - what is the reasoning behind a larger pulley with the 15? and what dia. would you suggest?

thanks

Rock
post #5 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 View Post
If the blower is over driven by the ratio of the engine HP, there will be no extra torque available to break the pins or the gearbox. The tons of snow moved per hour should increase by the ratio of HP as well.
So 15:1 ratio?

And if I'm reading you correctly this is to chew up a bit of engine torque to save the drivetrain for the augur etc. from the added power?

Assuming this is what you meant wouldn't I end up with a "load bog" similar to the 10 hp?

thanks,
Rock
post #6 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockadode View Post
Hi all,

Before I buy this motor (it's on sale for $249 cdn!!) I'd like to draw from your collective experience on what complications I'd run into swapping from the original TEC 10 hp to the 15 hp Powerfist GX390 clone.

Need advise regarding mount differences, control rod, pulley and belt changes as well as performance.

I'm thinking of using this frankenblower at the cottage to blow a 1/4 mile driveway, usually has 1-2 feet of established snowfall when I arrive so this thing may get some beats.

will the 15 make a huge difference blowing through that deep and settled snowfall? Or should I ask someone to plow it?
Welcome to the forum, first is your Tec engine out of commission? the 15 hp would be more than enough power needed but for that distance and type of snow I would be much more worried about the traction to push through as even less deep packed snow is sometime hard to deal with. I did some surface investigation with the same Powerfist engine and so far the shaft diameter is the same but the powerfist is approx. 1" higher and the foot print is approx. 1" wider and or longer, you can use the same pulleys but after some homework for sizing the unit would throw the snow much farther. I think it is a feasible project but a bit late in the season to tackle this. Good Luck and should you proceed we would be very keen to know your experience.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Rockadode thanked for this post
post #7 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Received): 250
Larger pulley will turn the augers and impeller faster. The faster impeller should give you more distance as well as faster throughput.

For size, try to keep it at 1300 RPM max. Those stock are around 1000 RPM I believe.

There is a guy on youtube that did that with a John Deere 1032 which is almost the same frame as your Ariens.
https://www.youtube.com/user/31pockets

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Rockadode thanked for this post
post #8 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Welcome to the forum, first is your Tec engine out of commission? the 15 hp would be more than enough power needed but for that distance and type of snow I would be much more worried about the traction to push through as even less deep packed snow is sometime hard to deal with. I did some surface investigation with the same Powerfist engine and so far the shaft diameter is the same but the powerfist is approx. 1" higher and the foot print is approx. 1" wider and or longer, you can use the same pulleys but after some homework for sizing the unit would throw the snow much farther. I think it is a feasible project but a bit late in the season to tackle this. Good Luck and should you proceed we would be very keen to know your experience.
Tec engine in good shape as far as running is concerned, haven't done a compression test though... Traction seems to be adequate, I don't expect it to be smooth going blowing a 1/4 mile driveway but so far I've seen a foot of snow with it and bogged the engine with snow load but never lost traction. I do have chains on the tires.

I'll dig into the math on the pulley diameter and check back with you guys here on that.

My season likely won't end till early April since the cottage is "in the bush" and sunlight doesn't get to the snow as much, but I still need to get in every few weeks in the meantime.
post #9 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Received): 250
Your Tecumseh might just need a valve job.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 61 Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Your Tecumseh might just need a valve job.
Quite possible as well, I've repaired a y2k vintage noma 10/29 for a friend and his was "better" than the Ariens 10 under load, but still got load bog. If his (which probably had a whole heap less hours on it than the Ariens) is my benchmark of what a 10 can do then I'll bypass the valve job on the 10 and roll with the new 15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page