LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Repowering a snowblower, myfirst time.

Hello, I am splitting off from my tecumseh repair attempts to separate it from my repowering try.

I hope I am in right place, and purposely did not post under just Ariens threads. This effort could apply to any brand.

I had no concept of snowblower repowering until blowing my engine last Sunday. Feb 2015. At my age go kart motors and HF engines were not in my frame of reference.

I am stuck at the moment:
I have A Harbor Freight Predator 301cc engine I want to mount on my ST1128LE.

Problem is bolt footprint and shaft positioning.

I built a cardboard mockup of the bolts and shaft position and find one side out in space with the bolts over the wheel axle if I position the shaft like the Tecumseh. (I had to take in account the base plate diagram was not to scale).

Is it as easy as it looks to bash out the old bolts (I read they are just tacked, otherwise out comes the Dremel) and drill and bolt the unit on?

Not sure if there are reinforcements underneath yet.

If I center the 301, can I just use longer belts or would there be tension problems?

I'll deal with the chute drive shaft once I do this part.

How do you accurately measure around the pulleys to look for standard sizes at the store without having to buy a bunch?

The WAF gauge is at its danger low point , so need to get the engine out of the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217_105725.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	42473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217_104458.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	42481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217_104155.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	42489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150216_222909.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	42497  

- Ariens st1128LE 924121 with 11.5HP Tecumseh OHSK110-221735D Approx 2004
- Predator chonda 301cc 61415
My last engine rebuild was in the 70's a '64 Corvair turbo Spyder. Back then many friends were motorheads and lent me ring compressors, glaze busters and the like. So I know the concepts.

Last edited by jh15; 02-17-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: put stuff in my sig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
I gave you a link on the previous thread, did you see it ? Lots of what you ask was answered although maybe not all, it might help you.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jh15 thanked for this post
post #3 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You gave good info, but I don't remember much related to the above.

I am going to post my (mis)adventures here for benefit of others and will document things you did mention like jets and stuff.

I'm just afraid of bolting down the engine, making non-returnable, possibly and it not fit right. I don't want to make Swiss cheese out of the chassis.

While you're here, I will order a jet set today as you showed. How do you know what size to ream them to, and how do you tell if it is too lean.

If I run this stock without heater box, jets, will I get by for the next round of storms coming tomorrow?

Thanks.

My last engine rebuild was in the 70's a '64 Corvair turbo Spyder. Back then many friends were motorheads and lent me ring compressors, glaze busters and the like. So I know the concepts.
post #4 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh15 View Post
Hello, I am splitting off from my tecumseh repair attempts to separate it from my repowering try.

I hope I am in right place, and purposely did not post under just Ariens threads. This effort could apply to any brand.

I had no concept of snowblower repowering until blowing my engine last Sunday. Feb 2015. At my age go kart motors and HF engines were not in my frame of reference.

I am stuck at the moment:
I have A Harbor Freight Predator 301cc engine I want to mount on my ST1128LE.

Problem is bolt footprint and shaft positioning.

I built a cardboard mockup of the bolts and shaft position and find one side out in space with the bolts over the wheel axle if I position the shaft like the Tecumseh. (I had to take in account the base plate diagram was not to scale).

Is it as easy as it looks to bash out the old bolts (I read they are just tacked, otherwise out comes the Dremel) and drill and bolt the unit on?

Not sure if there are reinforcements underneath yet.

If I center the 301, can I just use longer belts or would there be tension problem

Is the bolt pattern different on the Predator 301cc? If so you will need a sheet of 3/16th plate steel. Drill holes into the plate steet as to where the Predator bolt pattern is and then mount the plate to the body of the snowblower where it is needed. Also Why does the shaft have to be in exactly the same position as the Tecumseh shaft was? My 2 shaft Tecuseh PTO shaft was further over to the rigt side of the engine then the Predators centered shaft and it still worked great?

I'll deal with the chute drive shaft once I do this part.

How do you accurately measure around the pulleys to look for standard sizes at the store without having to buy a bunch?

Take a piece of rope and then with the engine on the snowblower and pulleys mounted measure around the pulleys including the drive pulleys and auger pulleys until it forms a loop. Add about 1/2 inch and you will be really close if not spot on on the belt length.

The WAF gauge is at its danger low point , so need to get the engine out of the kitchen.
My wife too would hate an engine on the kitchen counter. She would find that to be a counterirritant.

COUNTER IRRITANT
Described by "Federal Register / Vol. 44, No. 234 / Tuesday, December 4, 1979, FDA",
Counter Irritant
is "An externally applied substance that causes
irritation
or mild inflammation of the skin for the purpose of relieving pain in muscles, joints and viscera distal to the site of application. Ie Icy Hot

I am a pharmacist and a little pharmacy humor goes a long way. Or maybe not so much

post #5 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hehe, Yes, see that shed in my profile? I have no way to snow blow to it now, and it will be hard to get to when it becomes my home soon.

Thanks GustoGuy thanked for this post
post #6 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Make yourself into a hero. Do all the laundry, so you have several days supply. Then use the washing machine for a bench. Works well.
post #7 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Longer belts are all you will need. And tensioner adjustments. And redrilling holes. That's all mentioned.

Good luck, no need to panic, it's not that bad. Relatively easy if you have the tools and ability.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #8 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder13 View Post
I gave you a link on the previous thread, did you see it ? Lots of what you ask was answered although maybe not all, it might help you.
I found the link. Wow even the same 301 engine. If not in the description, hope the pictures show the heating shroud.

post #9 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Pathfinder, did you cut into the air cleaner? Did you leave the filter in?. Your muffler is a bit different, I just have a screened exhaust opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217_131404.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	42513  

post #10 of 52 Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Picture it worth a thousand words, now I see you problem. The Ariens tractor platform has those angles and that are cutting down the mounting area considerably.

You may want to look at if adding an "angle Iron" to that left edge to give yourself some place to drill those left side mounting holes if you have the clearance with the tires. I can't tell without seeing it in person but it might be something to look at as it would be an easy fix if you got the room. Just a thought, might solve that issue if you got the space.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page