Repowering an Ariens 10,000 with a Predator - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Repowering an Ariens 10,000 with a Predator

I have an old 10,000 Series Ariens with no motor. I have been looking in to getting a Predator mainly because they are so cheap. Also I am bored and looking for a winter project.

That being said I have looked over youtube and some other sites but have yet to see anyone address the throttle cable. I'd like to use the original throttle cable located on the handlebars if possible. Does anyone have any pictures of how they have accomplished this?

1961 Ariens 10ML-35
1963 Ariens 10M-L60D
1969 Ariens 10970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
I thought I had a picture of it, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, the Predator comes with a throttle cable bracket attached to the throttle plate. Tighten 2 screws and and loosen the 10mm bolt for the throttle plate and it's a done deal.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
I added a throttle control and cable ( Snapper part , bought on Amazon ) and it was just a matter of cutting it the correct length and mounting the control. Your control cable attachment needs a*metric* hex bolt and washer for it though, as it is not provided, and the cable holder tab I bought at my Toro/Simplicity dealer locally and it fit right on. Yours should fit right in that spot. The place the throttle control bolts on on the Predator has a threaded portion/nut already on the bottom of the hole. The metric bolt is needed. But that's easy, home depot had it in the metric drawer bin. Think it was a 5 or 6 mm just going off memory.

Just curious what is a 10000 series? Size, original hp ?

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek

Last edited by Pathfinder13; 02-18-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
what's a 10000 series?

I've done a couple of 10000 series repowers and have also bought two 10000 series blowers with replacement engines already installed where the replacement engine's throttle controls were located at the engine. I have to say that my preference is to have the throttle controls right at the engine(less likely to seize up).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I thought through adding one but for the reasons db130 stated I decided to pass. It is really not any inconvenience for me to reach down to the lever.

I have this picture showing the throttle area from the rear of the engine. Just above the governor link/spring(that **** spring that can freeze up) you will see a clip/clamp with a screw through the center which will hold the remote throttle cable. Holes to accept cable exist in the throttle bracket.

There is also a 2nd clip 90 degrees from here so you have two mounting options/approaches. (not shown in this pic)

The screw for the clamps are present so other than mounting the control lever and a few zip ties I don't see any other hardware needed. (this is for the 212cc anyway)

Since you already have the throttle control/cable and if they are in good condition you might as well go for it. You can always disconnect it if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator throttle (800x600).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	42849  

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 02-18-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 12
Thanks guys. I will try it out at first because I am used to having the throttle near the handle bar. The existing machine is 1971 Ariens that had 6hp Tecumseh, I am hoping the Predator will be noticeably more powerful.

1961 Ariens 10ML-35
1963 Ariens 10M-L60D
1969 Ariens 10970
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnaude241 View Post
Thanks guys. I will try it out at first because I am used to having the throttle near the handle bar. The existing machine is 1971 Ariens that had 6hp Tecumseh, I am hoping the Predator will be noticeably more powerful.
It compares well to the 8hp engines even. Huge power upgrade over my 5hp Tecumseh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page