Predator 212cc or Tecumseh Snow King 7hp ??? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage
Predator 212cc or Tecumseh Snow King 7hp ???

Thinking of re-powering my 1990's vintage Toro 521 Snow blower that has the original Tecumseh HS50 engine.

Considering the Predator 212cc based on price but have some concerns about quality. I found some reviews where the engine block cracked after a limited amount of use. It seems like the Predator is a hit or miss, as some folks have good luck with them, others not so much.

I am also considering a Tecumseh Snow King OH195SA (7 HP) as an alternative.

The Predator would be about $130 all said & done
The Tecumseh would be about $235 all said & done

Based on other threads where a Toro 421/521/3521 was upgraded with a predator, it looks like the chute crank bracket needs to be extended in order provide clearance of the chute crank rod versus the engine.

I am thinking, based on the look of the Tecumseh engine being similar to the original engine, I may not have to make the chute crank bracket modification.

So, I am wondering, based on quality and the chute crank issue, if I am better off getting the Tecumseh? To me not having to modify the chute crank braket is worth $50, and better quality certainly would be worth the balance of the difference in price between the 2 engines.

Thoughts?

Any other engines to consider? $250 complete (or less) would be below my threshold of pain.

TIA for thoughts, comments, advice

Last edited by tpenfield; 03-03-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks guilateen02 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Welocome to the repower sub-forum ;-)

Lots of people here are impressed with the Predator 212cc, and they seem to be quite powerful, and we are having good luck with them thus far.

A few have repowered machines just like yours and are real impressed, I'm sure they will chime in with praise, and video :-)

P.S. I spent 200 (including two new belts) used a coupon and went with the 301 , it's a beast now. The 212cc would be great for a 21"

A COUPON would put you at about $105 dollars.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek

Last edited by Pathfinder13; 03-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.
post #3 of 70 Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Considering the Predator 212cc based on price but have some concerns about quality. I found some reviews where the engine block cracked after a limited amount of use. It seems like the Predator is a hit or miss, as some folks have good luck with them, others not so much.
The only review I read that said anything like this was one on HF reviews for the engine were it was installed on a wood splitter and after a while it started to leak oil and the oil leak was as a result of a crack in the block. Thousands of others have used the engine for the same purpose on a wood splitter and not had any problems. I have 3 of the 212cc engines and none leak oil and they all start in 1 or 2 pulls of the recoil and work very well. Is that the review you are talking about? The engine is rated 4.5 out of 5 on HF own website and Go-cart people have beat the snot out of these engines with out them failing and they have been torture tested to 5,500 rpms with the stock connecting rods with out failures how ever the flywheels are not safe at that rpm. the 7hp Tecumseh engines when they get old get play in the connecting rods and if run with low oil or over reved even the slightest have been known to blow rods.
post #4 of 70 Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
I'd go with the Predator and enjoy the extra power it will give you over the 5 horse tec.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 05:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1626
Likes (Received): 570
the only mod to the crank for the chute is to put a longer bolt through the handlebar to space the bracket out for clearance. for me it comes down to having an electric starter so I don't strain my neck cold starting the motor

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
There are reviews on Amazon as well as HF; HF has many more reviews.

Cracked block/head were noted on a log splitter, a roto-tiller app and a snow blower. Other issues were ignition problems and fuel leakage (into the crankcase somehow ?) and rust. Other reviews were just erratic performance, which I suppose you will get from some reviewers.

I'm just worried about the hit or miss aspect of these engines. I would not want to do this twice. Maybe I can find some Tecumseh reviews to compare.

Also wondering about the chute crank and the winter operation, making the snow king a better choice?
post #7 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Of course I see posts from about 4-5 years back about Tecumseh folding up the tent. Looks like they consolidated operations and moved a lot of stuff off shore.

Is the LCT/Tecumseh engine brand what became of it? The company Stock (TECU) is still listed, but losing $$$$.

I am wondering if Tecumseh Snow King engines would be left over inventory or current production?
post #8 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
get the predator and buy the 1 year warranty for 10 bucks extra if your that concerned. it is very unlikely that you will have any issues, none of us had any and most of the ones that did have issues were early production units. they have fixed those issues since then
post #9 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
OK, I'll do the Predator from HF. . . . but I'm counting on 'youze guys' to come through per your advise. I suppose I can buy 2 Predators for the price of 1 Snow King. . .

I would be looking at about $80 in parts to keep the old Tecumseh HS50 running, and that was rivaling the price of a new Predator.

I have some ideas on how I can deal with the chute shaft interference without extending the crank bracket further out. My garage, is smaller than most, and I don't have a lot of clearance getting the machine out between the cars. I was thinking of going lower on the bracket to make the shaft go just beneath the OHV cover on the engine. It seems that the Predator engine is a little wider on that side of the engine than the old tecumseh. I'll have to look at my Toro 521 just to be sure of the existing clearance, etc.

In terms of re-jetting for winter use, Is that just a matter of reaming out the carb jet a couple 0.000's ???
post #10 of 70 Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
Tecumseh Snow King was once known as the best snow engine. I'm assuming you're looking at a new old stock engine, since they stopped production in 2008/9 I believe. I see the one on ebay for $235 with free shipping. LCT ended up with all the patents but they are not the same. I'm pretty sure ALL the TEC's were built in the US.
I had an Ariens ST724 with a TEC 7hp snow king engine for 15 years before selling it for a bigger machine. It was a solid engine that never gave me any problems through 15 New England winters.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page