LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 26
LCT repower vs Predator repower

I know many have repowered with the 212cc Predator sucessfully. I'm not a big fan of the Predator just because of the lack of support after the sale by Harbor Freight. I know you can fit most Honda/Clone parts and if things go bad in a hurry most would just put another one on their machine.

Has anybody ever tried one of these LCT 208cc engines?

It is a little higher cost up front approx $150 on Epay. But LCT parts are available thru Tecumseh distribution so 5 years from now when I need that carb kit or whatever it might be easier to service. Plus this engine is setup for cold weather already.

I know they are both made in China but what isn't now that is new.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	46121  

Snowblowers in the shed. All made in the good ol USA.

Bobcat 28" 2 stage 8hp Briggs
Bobcat 24" 2 stage 7hp Briggs
Bobcat 20" 2 stage repowered with Tecumseh OHH50
Lawnboy Snowboy
Lawnboy Snowboy self propelled
Toro 6000 Rtek Powered
Toro CCR2000 Suzuki Powered
Toro CCR2500 Tecumseh Powered
Toro CCR3650 boxy one, Rtek Powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Basically both the same engines so pick the one you want. I haven't had to buy parts for the Predators or Greyhounds before them on my lawn equipment. The parts I have bought are for the engines I have modified, mostly on my Baja minbike. Added a light kit along with a header. Roger
post #3 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
Hey SJ -, there are tons of parts available... everything you would need, at the go-kart sites like OMB Warehouse and NR Racing, and others. Complete carb, jets, governor springs, choke levers, whatever you want and cheap. Engine internals as well. Flywheels, rods, whatever.

The thing about the Predator that is the most hassle is blocking the gaps (fabricating a shroud) so the thin gov' springs don't ise up from blowing snow. My thread in the repower sub-forum shows the one I made.

I agree HF has no support for parts, but there is so much available in this case you don't need it unless you are returning a dud engine and that is very unllikely to happen based on so many successful stories around.

So, the only thing I can see better with other options is (at a higher cost) they are winter-ready with shrouds already on them and acceptable winter jets, but they may still run a tad lean with EPA the way it's been so I'd venture to say they would be improved if you were to open the main jet a tad on those as well although it would be less needed.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Buttchet liked this post
post #4 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj701 View Post
Has anybody ever tried one of these LCT 208cc engines?
That is what came on my new Cub Cadet. I'll add that it's been a great little engine. Starts right up in 1, 2 pulls at the most and has tackled everything this winter has thrown at it.
I'd recommend it for a re-powered blower!

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
post #5 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
parts for the lct are over priced, such as the carburetor, since they are a heavily modified clone.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 266
Likes (Received): 108
For what it's worth, my Ariens has the 291cc LCT engine and it's been good for me. We don't have HF up here, so I have no experience with the predators, but I do know that LCT makes a line of engines specifically for winter use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Larry
Snow Removal Equipment:
2014 Ariens Platinum 24
A collection of shovels that I try to avoid using
post #7 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 10
LCT makes a line of engines called Storm Force that are for winter use if you don,t want to deal with making shrouds for a Pedator.Very similar design Check out their website.The LCT on my new Ariens runs great and is very easy to start
post #8 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
I remember going to an update seminar a few years ago where a small section mentioned LCT engines. At the time they were supposed to release an engine that had the same footprint and crank height as a Tecumseh flathead making them a true drop in replacement.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
I remember going to an update seminar a few years ago where a small section mentioned LCT engines. At the time they were supposed to release an engine that had the same footprint and crank height as a Tecumseh flathead making them a true drop in replacement.
For the most part the Predator 212cc is a drop in engine too. Basically it is built like the Honda Gx series engine. Cast iron cylinder liner dual ball bearing support and stainless steel valves. Great little engine. I own 3 of them and all three engines run great and start in 1 to 2 pulls of the recoil. I have 2 of them on a snow blower and 1 engine on a doodle beast Minibike with a sticker on the back that says hot rod minibike
post #10 of 30 Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Received): 26
I just have a hard time getting a Predator when they won't even sell the paper air filter replacement element at the store. The elements are just different enough from Honda or any of the big names that the part won't work unless your replace the whole filter assembly. I tried calling the Harbor Freight support and got tired of being on hold with 14 callers ahead of me and after waiting for 15 minutes gave up. So I may try one out due to the low upfront cost but I guess you get what you pay for, in this case no service parts.

I know the go cart crowd has a bunch of parts for the Predator, but short of buying a new carb or gasket set, I don't think I'll be buying a K&N air filter or billet rod for my application.

It would just be nice if Rotary or Stens or one of the aftermarket suppliers would support the Predator stuff with the common maintenance items, just like they support just about everything else out there.

Snowblowers in the shed. All made in the good ol USA.

Bobcat 28" 2 stage 8hp Briggs
Bobcat 24" 2 stage 7hp Briggs
Bobcat 20" 2 stage repowered with Tecumseh OHH50
Lawnboy Snowboy
Lawnboy Snowboy self propelled
Toro 6000 Rtek Powered
Toro CCR2000 Suzuki Powered
Toro CCR2500 Tecumseh Powered
Toro CCR3650 boxy one, Rtek Powered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page