Engines you don't see re-powering snow blowers, but perhaps should. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
Engines you don't see re-powering snow blowers, but perhaps should.

With $99 Predators we'll probably never find one of these mounted to a snow blower, but it would be fun to see one and learn how well they work.
Yamaha
Subaru
The Subaru appears to be from the Wisconsin/Robin/Fuji Heavy Ind linage.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TheSuMofGoD thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
With $99 Predators we'll probably never find one of these mounted to a snow blower, but it would be fun to see one and learn how well they work.
Yamaha
Subaru

I can't see any need for anything but a flathead Briggs or Tecumseh on a snowblower or lawnmower, they are just so simple and easy to work on. OHV make more power, but there's nothing like removing the cylinder head and there's no valvetrain to worry about. VERY easy.
Einstein had a saying, it takes an idiot to complicate something, and a genius to simplify it.
those new OHV small engines sure are nice and run smooth..until something goes wrong with them. then they are a nightmare to work on.

having said that, Yamaha is a class act in small engines for a long time. No doubt their small engines run well. their bike rep is indisputable.
and Subaru has a pretty good rep too, albeit not as good as Yamaha.

Back in the 1980's my Dad tried one(and only one) foreign car, he bought a new 1981 Subaru wagon, for gas mileage. lBefore that he was a Buick Pontiac Chevy Oldsmobile guy. The "Sooby" as they were nicknamed, rotted pretty badly in a short time, and when I was driving back/forth to college, it was my commuter. then my brother bought another '81 4x4 Sooby, with a bad engine. I pulled motor from Dad's car, junked the body, and put the motor in the 4x4, ran that 'til it rotted away. it used to drive through snow like a Jeep.
those Soobys had terrible brake problems. they'd eat brake pads like candy. they'd shoot the backing plate for the pad out onto the road a few times, or jam it in the wheel, and lock it up. I used to carry brakes and tools and a floor jack, right in the car- and change them on the road. they also ate front axles. changed at least 4 of them too.
then my brother in law, had a 1983 or 84 ? with a bad engine, he sold it to me, and I moved the good engine one more time to the 1984 car. ran that until it was a dead duck. then junked it.
I also had an automatic 4x4 but never titled or tagged it. when I got out of college, and started working full time, gave that last one away to my Uncle to use at his hunting cabin. they used it to retrieve deer around his property. then he junked that one too.

The Subaru pancake 4's had a tendency to get one bad cylinder, the engine would twist and lose head gasket seal. you'd have to keep filling the radiator up with water from time to time. but they'd run on 3 cylinders. I've seen a lot of them running that way. every time I see one today, just shake my head and think, can't believe that we drove those around back in the 1980's. they were reliable, but just so chintzy and tinny, with thin bodies on them. the floors would rot out, and one time I went through a big puddle, and a wave of water came right up through the floor, and soaked both me and my nephew in the front seats as we drove down the road.

the only foreign jobby I'd ever want, would be a vintage Maserati Ghibli, when I hit the lottery...
with the small engines, I'll go down fighting with the old flathead stuff.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 03-10-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, micah68kj liked this post
post #3 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Suburu has a line of snow engines also. I have an Ariens compact 22 with a SX-17 Suburu on it..Ariens discontinued the Suburu engines because of the expense. The SX-17 is 169cc and rated at 5.7 Hp. it is a chain driven ohc engine. I have had this engine since 2010 and it is a powerful little engine. It is very fuel efficient, and very quiet. My neighbor has the same machine with the 208cc on it and mine throws snow much better than his without breathing hard. Never have had the first problem with it. would love to have the SX 30 on my Deluxe 28.

2014 Robin Subaru Industrial Engines available at Blands Lawn and Garden

Quote:
Yamaha
Subaru
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #4 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Never hear anything about Kohlers either.

Kohler Engines: Home

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #5 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Yamaha
Subaru
snowblower, snowblower engine
post #6 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 266
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Never hear anything about Kohlers either.

Kohler Engines: Home
Kohler engines have always been my engine of choice. I have two Kohler engines just sitting around. Both were given to me. One is an older K 181 and the other is a pretty nice M 16. The M16 was on an oil well that my sister inherited. It sat outside under cover but hadn't been run in probably 10 years. Just a guess, but any rate it sat for a long time. Two of my sisters had a friendly wager going that I couldn't get it started. I had it running in about half hour. The k 181 doesn't have fire. Not really looked at it to see what's wrong but I have a new set of Kohler points and a condenser laying around somewhere. I'll have her going when I get the time. Need to get the new flooring in the kitchen and get an addition built before I can go out and play.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TheSuMofGoD thanked for this post
post #7 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I'm still thinking the diesel is the way to go.

I think it would go well with the old Craftsman 3 stage.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
During a power-outage I bought a generator with an OHC Subaru Robin. Starts easy & runs smooth.

I can’t really speak for longevity and I haven’t had the need to crack-it-open to see the guts…

At first I was nervous about the OHC after rebuilding one of my Honda GC’s (to replace a bent crank) which has a rubber timing belt & plastic cam gear. (Sidenote: that GC still runs like the day I bought it...10+ years ago).

Looking at the Robin’s parts breakdown I was pleasantly surprised to see a timing chain…which would mean a metal cam sprocket. I'll confirm when I check the valve clearance this spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #9 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I'm still thinking the diesel is the way to go.

New 10HP Air Cooled Single Cylinder Diesel Engine 10 HP | eBay
Yikes!

Neat concept, but almost $800 for a no-name engine on ebay is a little scary.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, Loco-diablo liked this post
post #10 of 47 Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Yup, it's the thought of needing a small part for that no-name diesel that makes it not get past the "thinking about it" stage.
There is too much stuff all ready listed as NLA for my TroyBilts offshore gas engine

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-10-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in