post #1 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens st824 re-power

Hello,

So this is sort of a re-post. I have a 35 year tecumseh that runs fine.
I am tinkering with the idea of going to a newer engine, for fun. Feel free to tell me to stay with the tecumseh until it craps out, it just got a new (cheap) carb.

But if I do change it, I have been told not to bother with the 8hp predator and just get the 6.5hp. I am interested to know if anyone has seen the difference between these two engines on a 24 inch bucket.

Would anyone care to list the new items I need to buy and/or the process of the engine swap as I have never done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 67
If the 35 year old tec runs fine i would leave it alone. If it begins to give you any "Big Problems" I would go with the 6.5hp predator as long as your tec is a single shaft engine.

the 6.5hp engine will do just fine on a 24" bucket. With re-jetting these have been known to make considerably more than 6.5hp
post #3 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Lots of people here have done the swap. I did one for my parents neighbor on an old ariens with a Tec to the HF 6.5hp. Bolt "pattern" was the same, but I needed to remove the ariens studs and place longer bolts. Was easy as 3 of the 4 studs knocked out with a MFH (medium f%^&$#@ hammer). 4th stud was welded in by Thor apparently and required drilling. I found it easier to remove the friction wheel and use the gear shift to move the assembly when installing the new bolts. I hot glued the new bolts in the holes to allow engine placement. There is a specific type fastener you can use to keep the bolts up or spot weld them really quick. I didn't have a welder at my parents and my mom crafts quite a bit, so the glue gun worked, but not ideal. Welded, you can do by yourself, holding them in, or hot gluing requires a second set of hands in my experience. The HF motor causes the chute rotation rod to be modded because the cylinder lays at an angle on the left side as you address the operator position. I used generic universal joints and kept the "rotator" handle up at the handlebars. The throttle control can be modified (if you have one) to work on the HF (check youtube), but I went with removing it and the end user has to reach down to machine to vary throttle. I also removed the dead man switch mechanism (righthand handlebar lever and all the wiring and switch inside the tractor body). Output shaft on the HF is 3/4" so if your oldie is 1", you'll need another couple pulleys (Tractor Supply near you) as the Ariens/Tec is typically a one piece dual pulley assembly. 3/8' wide for drive closest to motor, 1/2" wide for the auger on the ones I've done. Not having my tools at my parents I went with individual pulleys as the old Tec double sheave was NOT coming off the crank. I have since got that pulley assembly off
HF lined up, belt cover fit and it's still running today. As a summer time swap, I would call it super easy. In the bitter cold, with a storm coming, it could be a bit hectic but still easy IMO. I left the air filter in, some people remove it or mod up linkage covers. This one didn't get any of that, but it's only used to clear walk paths around the house to the deck for dogs. I would personally want the covers for my use (driveway and sidewalks).
After posting and reading Carl's thoughts, I agree. Only thing I'll add is if you are like me and are going to do it anyway, do it now when it's warm. The cool thing about the oldie Ariens is the pure heavy duty build of the rest of the machine and parts availability compared to other brands (most notably John Deere in my experience). It has no idea what engine is turning the belts!

Last edited by jtclays; 05-28-2015 at 12:27 PM.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
If the 35 year old tec runs fine i would leave it alone. If it begins to give you any "Big Problems" I would go with the 6.5hp predator as long as your tec is a single shaft engine.

the 6.5hp engine will do just fine on a 24" bucket. With re-jetting these have been known to make considerably more than 6.5hp
Thank you. Dumb question, what does re-jetting mean? I will probably understand once I hear what it is.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinsm2 View Post
Thank you. Dumb question, what does re-jetting mean? I will probably understand once I hear what it is.

Due to EPA regulations these engines must be jetted lean to meet emission standards and that is in warm weather. In cold weather the engine wants considerably more fuel since the air is denser and more fuel is needed to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

If you search the forums you will find many instances where members have enlarged the size of the hole in the carburetors main jet to richen up the mixture. Some people and purchased new jets in a slightly large size. Changing out or enlarging the size of the hole in the jet is a simple job on these harbor freight engines.

Carl
post #6 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Tecumseh gets my vote!! A little TLC it will blow snow for another decade or two. Pop the head and the valves lap'm change the oil, dump the gas in the off season.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Due to EPA regulations these engines must be jetted lean to meet emission standards and that is in warm weather. In cold weather the engine wants considerably more fuel since the air is denser and more fuel is needed to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio.

If you search the forums you will find many instances where members have enlarged the size of the hole in the carburetors main jet to richen up the mixture. Some people and purchased new jets in a slightly large size. Changing out or enlarging the size of the hole in the jet is a simple job on these harbor freight engines.

Carl
That is very simple from the sounds of it. I just watched a clip on an old 8hp tec like mine in 2 feet of snow with a 24 inch bucket and it kicked ass. I haven't used mine in snow yet, had to fix the gearcase which took a while as a every other weekend project.

So I think I will give it a season and see how it handles.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
Tecumseh gets my vote!! A little TLC it will blow snow for another decade or two. Pop the head and the valves lap'm change the oil, dump the gas in the off season.
Are there any good videos or guides on removing the head, cleaning and valve lapping? Is this a tough project? I have a ton of time this summer.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just to be clear it runs ok now, a little hiccup every now and then which might be valve related. I do get the feeling that it has never had the valves services.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2015, 01:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinsm2 View Post
Are there any good videos or guides on removing the head, cleaning and valve lapping? Is this a tough project? I have a ton of time this summer.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MultiKh...mseh+refurbish

Another good link for various videos. I don't think he has any specific for valves though.
https://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page