Direct replacement for Tecumseh LH195SP engine? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Direct replacement for Tecumseh LH195SP engine?

Hello All. It's that time of year again, and my friends are leaning in me ( the small engine guy ) to fix thier snow blowers for them. Just a short time ago, my friend inherited a Troy Built blower with 24" cut, and Snow King Lh195SP 5HP Tecumseh Engine. Previous to him, his late father in law used it last winter and it seemd to over rev and never ran right.

I took the carb apart tonite and the throttle plate was stuck wide open do to fowling etc, so of course the governor could not regulate engine speed. My friend said his father in law ran the snowblower all last winter like that. There is more than likely some engine damage but who really knows.

I priced a new carb, and its $17+ on amazon with Prime. I told him, lets get a new carb, and try it. If the engine is shot, it cost us $17 to find out.

Which got me to thinking about this forum and all the repowers guys where doing to their snowblowers. Now, in my specific case of my circa 1991 8hp tecumseh with output pulleys on the crank and cam shaft, i can't repower my snowblower with ease without doing massive re-engineering which to me isnt worth it.
My friends blower has the LH engine which has both the auger and drive pulleys on the same shaft. When i saw that i became giddy but, i noticed a tension pulley to the 7 o'clock position when looking at the pulleys.
My question is, has anyone here repowered one of these blowers with a replacement predator or similar Harbor Freight engine, and engineered or found a way to install a belt tensioner to make it work?

Thanks all .. Hope you are all getting ready for the season!

1991 8/24 MTD Snow King.

Last edited by chrispyny; 10-26-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
I did a Storm 2410 with a 212CC Predator engine. Just bolted the engine down with new bolts and used the original belts and pulleys. The only way to make that work was to buy a 3/4 to 7/8 shaft sleeve. I have pictures in the Troy Bilt forum. If you need any other assistance gusto guy on this forum can help also. Any other pictures needed I can provide
post #3 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i dont see any reason it why it shouldnt work. the predator should also be more reliable and last longer then the old tecumseh if maintained properly
post #4 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 05:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Yea, I would think the Predator would be an easy swap. There are 4 bolt holes around the crankshaft as well so in theory that idler pulley should bolt right on. The holes are most likely metric and your Tecumseh is most likely SAE so you will need to pick up a couple bolts for it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Ye. The holes are most likely metric and your Tecumseh is most likely SAE so you will need to pick up a couple bolts for it.
===================================

Believe it or not, the holes are SAE 5/16 x 24, on the Predator 212 engines. The one in the end of the crankshaft is SAE also. ---- John
post #6 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
here's my setup

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks chrispyny thanked for this post
Likes chrispyny liked this post
post #7 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
http://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/...psrttco0yi.mp4
those are the original pulleys from the 179CC troy bilt engine. Needed to get a 3/4 to 7/8 adapter sleeve to make them fit the predator. Those are also the stock troy bilt belts on there. Only adjustment I had to make was moving the auger tensioner over a slight bit to remove some of the excess slack on the belt

Last edited by storm2410; 10-27-2015 at 08:59 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
That swap worked out great. It's good to know as I have a 2410 also.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
kiss4afrog

If you do the swap and plan on using stock parts all you need to make it work is the 3/4 to 7/8 shaft sleeve. That allowed me to use all the stock pulleys and belts
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 10-28-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Just wanted to come back and give you guys a status update and thank you all for responding so quickly and with such detail.

I took apart the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner from napa for 2 days, tonite i removed it and cleaned every orafice in detail, i replaced the 2 screws which hold the choke lever onto the carb with hex head screws. I had a problem with the originals. Someone ( i assume the factory ) had applied locktite to the screws and i stripped the phillips screws out. I had to heat them and use a vice grip to turn them out.
That is the first time i have ever come across locktite on those screws.

Anyway, i put the carb back together, changed the oil, fixed the recoil assembly, added non ethenol gas, and it fired up immediately. I love the electric starters on the old tecumseh engines. Plug into an electrical extension cord, hit the red button and off it goes. I wish i had that on my old MTD when i was a kid.
The oil in my opinion did show some silvery sheen to it. I don't know if it were ever changed since the unit was purchased some time ago. I won't know what damage there is to the engine due to over revving until my friend does some snow blowing and gets it good and hot. If compression holds and it doesn't die on him, we should be set.
If it conks out, I'll tell him about the Harbor Freight engine swap idea. But the way he is, i bet he'll run out and get a new machine instead. Which will leave me to offer him $20 for it as scrap and do the swap myself!

Storm, one quesiton .. after the engine swap, can you use your factory belt guard? Did you leave it off for pics, or does it not fit anylonger after the engine swap ?

Thanks for everything everyone! Stay warm in the snow!

1991 8/24 MTD Snow King.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page