LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens 524 Engine Replacement

Hello. Received an Ariens 524 with a blown motor. Took the motor apart to find a broken camshaft and a bent intake valve. The crank case is also broken where the camshaft sits in the seat.

The engine model is HSSK50 67244R. This engine has the camshaft PTO.

As everyone knows - Tecumseh's are pretty hard to come by these days. Looking for one of a couple options to get this thing running...

1 - Source for replacement HSSK50
2 - Alternative engine - two shaft
3 - Source for replacement crankcase, camshaft, valves

Would appreciate any expertise that the group has developed over time since Tecumseh closed their doors. I'm hoping that by now there are people who have experimented and found working alternatives for those of us with these engines.

TIA..

-Mike-
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Hopefully others can contribute more but as far as I know there are 3 things people do in this situation:

1) Buy a Chinese clone motor like the "Predator" sold at harbor freight and mod it to have an extended camshaft. Requires a *lot* of machining, welding, and fabrication and might require a Tecumseh camshaft as a donor?

2) Buy another Tecumseh motor and swap your crankcase cover and cam onto it. That's obviously not an option in your case.

3) Find another compatible Tecumseh motor.

I'm a bit surprised you said these motors are hard to come by... there are generally a bunch of them available on Craigslist. For example this one: https://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/5313159832.html

There is one "trick" to finding Tec 2-shaft motors on Craigslist: sometimes they come attached to snowblowers! With some research (or just by going to look at the thing) you can determine what makes & models of snowblowers came with that type of engine. Then just look around C'list for a snowblower that's cheap because it's rusted or has mechanical problems, buy it, and use the motor.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the reply. Geeze - I was so focused on a new engine that I hadn't thought about looking for a used engine.

This might be the question from ****, but any ideas at all on Tecumseh models that are compatible with the HSSK50 in order to make this as close to a bolt on replacement as possible?

It looks to me that the HS50 might work, and maybe some others, but I don't understand Tecumseh's model number system at all.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 264
Well the first question you have to ask yourself is do you want to stick with 5 HP or take the Tim Taylor "more power" approach?

Again there are others here more expert than I, but I think in general the Tecumseh engines you'd be looking at fall into two categories: "small frame" as indicated by the second letter in the model being an "s" (the first "h" means horizontal shaft) and "medium frame" as indicated by the second letter in the model being an "m". I think the small-frame engines are 7 HP and below, the mediums are 8 and up. So you should easily be able to upgrade to a 6 or 7 HP engine if you want to.

"SK" in the model means "snow king". Generally I think that means an "sk" engine will have the metal box covering the carb and linkages, and no air cleaner. An engine without "sk" probably would not have the box and would have an air cleaner. The latter "problem" could of course be easily fixed by removing the air cleaner, but I'm not sure what models your heater box would bolt onto.

I do know there are differences in the mufflers used between different horsepower levels, and maybe variations over time too.

I *think* that in terms of mounting, you could replace your small-frame engine with another small-frame engine, even one of higher horsepower. To go to a medium-frame engine you'd need to redo the engine's mounting... which takes a little work, but really is not too difficult.

In general I'd say you can base a lot on appearance. If the replacement motor looks pretty much like yours (the double output shafts being the most important factor), it should work. You might have to swap over a few parts to account for minor differences like the throttle control being on the engine vs. the handlebars (for example).

Oh one other thing you DO have to watch out for: crankshafts come in different diameters (3/4", 7/8", and 1" being most common on snowblowers), and I think some have tapped holes in the end so the pulley can be held on by a bolt, whereas others do not.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 36
check the bolt pattern and the shaft height. then check small engine warehouse. you can find good deals on new engines there, if that's how you decide to go. they may have a tec.. that will bolt right on. I picked up (locally)a new briggs 15000 series 11.5 lbs torque snow max, that had the same bolt pattern and shaft height, just had to use longer bolts to mount as the original studs were to short. was very easy, probably the easiest part of my restore.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Welcome to the forum Mike

to "Re-Powering"

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page