old eng -what replacment to use ?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Red face old eng -what replacment to use ??

I have a old snapper snowblower which i think is about 25 years old, and the engine is getting tired.. I want to keep it, but its using oil as my brother left it out in the rain uncoverd in the off season , and i didnt know it.------Eng model # is 190416,, and the type is 2996-01 as far as i could tell thru the worn out #.- code looked like 85051010.-- I have a great deal on a NEW BRIGGS INTEK SNOW eng 9 HP. - MODEL 20A412-0007 THAT has a 1" crank like mine and shaft is about 3"x 9/16.--My shaft is about 3" long.-mmmmmmmmm sounds funny to say that , L.O.L.----- BUT i was trying to find out if this new eng has same bolt pattern to bolt up, and does it have tapped out holes for the drive belt tensioner pully on back of eng ???---Only info ive been able to get is it will have to have spacers to raise it up as it will most likely be about 1" short, so ill have to raise it up to use my existing belts ????-- any info will be great...P.S. - I can get that new intek 9hp for 199.00 dollars and is brand new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Will this eng work ??

I have a old snapper snowblower which i think is about 25 years old, and the engine is getting tired.. I want to keep it, but its using oil as my brother left it out in the rain uncoverd in the off season , and i didnt know it.------Eng model # is 190416,, and the type is 2996-01 as far as i could tell thru the worn out #.- code looked like 85051010.-- I have a great deal on a NEW BRIGGS INTEK SNOW eng 9 HP. - MODEL 20A412-0007 THAT has a 1" crank like mine and shaft is about 3"x 9/16.--My shaft is about 3" long.-mmmmmmmmm sounds funny to say that , L.O.L.----- BUT i was trying to find out if this new eng has same bolt pattern to bolt up, and does it have tapped out holes for the drive belt tensioner pully on back of eng ???---Only info ive been able to get is it will have to have spacers to raise it up as it will most likely be about 1" short, so ill have to raise it up to use my existing belts ????-- any info will be great...P.S. - I can get that new intek 9hp for 199.00 dollars and is brand new
post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Sounds good. As long as the new shaft is longer than the old one you can always cut it down or drill a hole in the belt cover. If the new engine is shorter another option is to use shorter belts. I think all engines have the bolt holes on the front so your idler should be no problem. Could just measure your bolt pattern and then you should be able to find a diagram for the new engine. As long as they are similar it should work. Worst case is you probably have to drill new holes.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
you dont say what the hp rating on the original was but if it has a 1" diameter output shaft i suspect it is an 8hp engine as these snappers were available with 8hp engines. That being said I would think the crank centerline would be the same for the briggs 9hp engine. I don't think you will need the spacers and it should bolt up fine. I say go for it.

I did an 1985 large frame snapper that was originally an 5/24 with a 3/4" crankshaft and i replace t he 5hp with a 6.5 hp ohv engine and it dropped right in no problems. If yours was na 8hp the 9 should work fine belts and all.

Carl
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Re-Engining

Carl

I don't have any particulars on this other than the little bit of sales lit on it. I did find this: Brand New Engines | Briggs & Stratton Horizontal 9 HP INTEK Snow 1" x 3-21/32" #20A412-0007

For that price, I'd grab it if I had a machine needing an engine. You can always do some redrilling etc as needed to make it work.

Good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
FINALLY GOT TO DO THE ENG IN THE old snapper.-- had to use 1" spacers under engine to kee the shaft at same height. - Was going to just use 1" shorter belts, but found out the drive belt, spring loaded tensioner was then hitting frame of machine causing me to not use the shorter belts.- So i had to use the 1" spacers which created another problem.-- studs to short.to bolt up new engine..- So i took lower end apart so as to remove old studs [only way] and added longer bolts. -- Now im just waiting on the new pully, for on the crankshaft as it was like welded on, and was beyond saving when i did get it off.---all seems ok and new 200.00 9hp engine runs good.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Re-engining

Good to hear you're giving that machine a new life. I've seen a number of older machines that had little wrong with them but weren't being used.
Now with a new engine and some maintenance, that should outlast you and me.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The snowblower is a bear, and will go thru deeper and more snow than new one's of equal size machine or a little bigger.-- Now to see how the new 9hp compares to the old 8hp, - will see.--- But i have one question if anyone can find out or know.- the model of new briggs eng is 20A412-0007, AND is a 9hp.,, but it doesnt have elec start or a charging system.-I can do with out the elec start no problem, but would like to add charging system to this engine.--I posted to a few eng sights but get no responce, Far as i know i would need to find out if flywheel has magnets ??? and then find a alternator to fit this engine.--Im sure other models must use same flywheel that has magnets and charging system .--Any info of what i need or where to get would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page