LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Newbie need help with HF repower?

Hi all, found you all from the garage journal. Someone suggested I ask my question here.
I have a very old 5hp tecumseh snowking MTD snowblower that I picked up a harbor freight 13hp 1" dia shaft engine to repower this old but very solid machine. Looks like there are two pulleys off old machine that no way will work, due to newer shaft size being bigger.

Anyway I am looking for two pulleys for the 1" diameter shaft one with a 3/8" groove and a second with a 1/2" groove hopefully with set screws?
Any help would be greatly appreciated with a source, if anyone even makes this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 07:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4 View Post
Hi all, found you all from the garage journal. Someone suggested I ask my question here.
I have a very old 5hp tecumseh snowking MTD snowblower that I picked up a harbor freight 13hp 1" dia shaft engine to repower this old but very solid machine. Looks like there are two pulleys off old machine that no way will work, due to newer shaft size being bigger.

Anyway I am looking for two pulleys for the 1" diameter shaft one with a 3/8" groove and a second with a 1/2" groove hopefully with set screws?
Any help would be greatly appreciated with a source, if anyone even makes this?
Going from a dual shaft to a single shaft engine, you'll find that you'll need way more than just the 2 pulleys.

Check this thread
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tor-212cc.html
post #3 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Going from a dual shaft to a single shaft engine, you'll find that you'll need way more than just the 2 pulleys.

Check this thread
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...tor-212cc.html
Please excuse my next question (just trying to learn). My older 5hp only has a single shaft same with the newer one. Just two different size pulleys on one shaft. The newer shaft is bigger no way to go back with a similar set up or will I fry the friction disc? Thanks...
post #4 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yours was just a single shaft but with 2 pulleys if I understand correctly. If so, then all you really need is the pulleys and what ever belts the length you need. The old ones will most likely not work unless you get lucky enough. I would start here: McMaster-Carr try to use your current pulleys as your guide and see what you come up with

post #5 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 367
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
your first post does make it sound like you have a dual shaft engine, but if your blowers old engine is only a single shaft with dual pulleys, i would return the hf 1" shaft engine, and go with the 212cc . it will out perform the 5hp and be a simple swap. ( going from 5hp to 13hp is overkill....but i like it! ) jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rob711 liked this post
post #6 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4 View Post
Please excuse my next question (just trying to learn). My older 5hp only has a single shaft same with the newer one. Just two different size pulleys on one shaft. The newer shaft is bigger no way to go back with a similar set up or will I fry the friction disc? Thanks...
Welcome to SBF
Apologies, I missunderstood you
So you have a single shaft as well on the older machine, but the shaft on the older engine is 3/4" while on new one is 1".
Can you post the model and serial number of your machine, this may help us to help you.
What I'll do if I was you is to look at a diagram for a larger blower (same brand as yours) with a 8 or larger HP engine, they usually have 1" shafts, get the pulleys for one of them.
Someone else will chime in soon to help you with sources for generic pulleys.
Or maybe Sidegrinder, or Jackmells has something that you could use.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 08:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - I was thinking that's kinda overkill!! LOL I would be a bit worried about things holding up. I would opt for the 212 myself for that reason and I think you will find that things will fall into place better. Take some measurements into consideration - the shaft lenght (insert funny here -ahem), the diameter (again here), and the distance from the deck to the shaft's centerline on the old one. You may end up needing a bushing over the shaft of the new one since they tend to be smaller (metric) to utilize your existing pulleys. I just did this on a Craftsman. I used a peice of 3/4 EMT conduit and cut a 3/8" slot down the side and slipped it on. The pulley I had were keyed and it catches OK. I though about drilling through and tap it for a set screw also...... but I haven't had the big test under load yet to know if it will be necessary. Oh, and I also had to space the engine up with 3 washers to get the right height to use the original belts...... I failed to measure before pulling the original one. Good luck

post #8 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 08:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Using a predator 212cc when replacing a small Tecumseh engine a lot of times if fits perfectly (except for the use of longer engine mounting bolts/studs and the chute crank handle/I've done 2 Ariens 724) and you can even use the same belts if using the original pulleys.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks all, maybe right in returning the big engine and going with the 6.5. The pulleys are looking to be a major PITA to find at this point.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
You'll be very happy with the performance of the Predator 212 at a third of the price of the 13HP Predator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page