LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Starting 212 predator

I did a re-power with a 212 predator a few years ago. I did open the main jet to about .033 to eliminate the surging at the colder operating temps. Works great. No big deal but it always took 10-15 pulls to get it to start, when cold.
I read that several folks have solved this issue by opening the pilot (idle) jet a bit and they reported it starts much easier. I thought i read some one had good luck buy opening to .018".

Taking this advice I opened the pilot jet from about .015 to .018. I have not noticed any improvement in starting. It still takes about the same number of pulls. I did notice it needs to go off of choke right away and then runs great for the most part. Plenty of power. When down throttling it will pop and even throw a flame indicating it is running too rich.

Before I make any other changes I wanted to check in and see what others who have done this could share their learned experience and insight.

I know some have opened up the Emulsion tube or purchased the 140 tube and installed it.
I get the sense most have not and it is not necessary.
Thanks.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
When down throttling it will pop and even throw a flame indicating it is running too rich.

This would indicate a lean condition especially with blue flames rather than rich which you can prove to yourself by removing the air filter and it would pop even more OR it does so because you already removed the air filter which would require to enrichen your mixture a bit more. Just saying and Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 01-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Toro-8-2-4 thanked for this post
post #3 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
I did a re-power with a 212 predator a few years ago. I did open the main jet to about .033 to eliminate the surging at the colder operating temps. Works great. No big deal but it always took 10-15 pulls to get it to start, when cold.
I read that several folks have solved this issue by opening the pilot (idle) jet a bit and they reported it starts much easier. I thought i read some one had good luck buy opening to .018".

Taking this advice I opened the pilot jet from about .015 to .018. I have not noticed any improvement in starting. It still takes about the same number of pulls. I did notice it needs to go off of choke right away and then runs great for the most part. Plenty of power. When down throttling it will pop and even throw a flame indicating it is running too rich.

Before I make any other changes I wanted to check in and see what others who have done this could share their learned experience and insight.

I know some have opened up the Emulsion tube or purchased the 140 tube and installed it.
I get the sense most have not and it is not necessary.
Thanks.
I only enlarged the main jet I never touched the idle jet. I would get a replacement for the Idle jet since it may be running to rich on idle. Funny even in the coldest weather my Predator 212cc engine start in usually 2 to 3 pulls even if left out side in the cold like my cabin it starts quite easily. I wonder how hard it would be to set up a primer. That would give it a shot of gasoline right away

Last edited by GustoGuy; 01-21-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #4 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Prior to making this change I was running slightly rich with a .034" main jet. I say this based on the color of the plug(black). The popping is unburned gas hitting the hot muffler. The flame is orange/red. That is why I am saying/assuming it is rich. Tomorrow I will pull the plug and see what color it is. The plug is new with this change. If it is lean, then a larger main jet would be in order.

I am running with out the air filter and always have.

I may try to go back to where I was by cleaning the carb with compressed air/ carb cleaner and install a stock pilot jet. The bowl was very clean but you never know if some tiny bug climbed in side to live this past summer.

I would like to find out why it always take 10-15 pulls on a cold start.

I know others have complained of this.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #5 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Prior to making this change I was running slightly rich with a .034" main jet. I say this based on the color of the plug(black). The popping is unburned gas hitting the hot muffler. The flame is orange/red. That is why I am saying/assuming it is rich. Tomorrow I will pull the plug and see what color it is. The plug is new with this change. If it is lean, then a larger main jet would be in order.

I am running with out the air filter and always have.

I may try to go back to where I was by cleaning the carb with compressed air/ carb cleaner and install a stock pilot jet. The bowl was very clean but you never know if some tiny bug climbed in side to live this past summer.

I would like to find out why it always take 10-15 pulls on a cold start.

I know others have complained of this.
Maybe try giving it a shot of starting fluid, and see if that does the trick. If so, then perhaps trying to McGiver a primer system might be worthwhile.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 50
What kind of spark plug are you using and what is the gap? I just re-jetted 2 machines I re-powered. I opened the jets up to .032. I had them at .030 and they where hunting a little at full throttle with the outside temp in the mid teens.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor city View Post
what kind of spark plug are you using and what is the gap? I just re-jetted 2 machines i re-powered. I opened the jets up to .032. I had them at .030 and they where hunting a little at full throttle with the outside temp in the mid teens.
ngk bp6es
gap .030

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #8 of 19 Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 4
I enlarged the main jet to .032" & the idle jet to .020" & use an NGK BP6ES spark plug gapped at .028" without the air cleaner. It starts on the second or third pull every time. I make sure to shut the gas off & let the carb run dry before putting it away after each use.

1975 Toro 724 (31677) Hemi Predator 212, X-Trac tires, Impeller kit, Drift Cutters
1979 Jacobsen Imperial 830 (52642) 8HP Tecumseh, Impeller kit, Tire Chains, Drift Cutters
post #9 of 19 Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
I put one of the adjustable main jet kits that one of our members sells on E-Bay on my Powermore MTD Pro 179cc and couldn't be happier. The kit includes a jet and an adjustable needle that replaces the bowl bolt. He uses a .055 jet and the needle to adjust the fuel micture. Maybe the best $10 I have ever spent. This is what you get. My note in pencil about the .032 jet is that is the one I took out of the engine. Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0804.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	74001  

Last edited by rhenning; 01-22-2016 at 09:38 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-22-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler 340 View Post
I enlarged the main jet to .032" & the idle jet to .020" & use an NGK BP6ES spark plug gapped at .028" without the air cleaner. It starts on the second or third pull every time. I make sure to shut the gas off & let the carb run dry before putting it away after each use.
Chrysler, thanks for this info and feedback.

I assume prior to this you were pulling the chord alot more on a cold start. What condition is your spark plug in after running for some time?

I also run the carb dry before shutting down for any extended time. Thanks.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page