Craftsman 247.887001 HF Predator Repower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 247.887001 HF Predator Repower

Good Evening all,

Wanted to put something together for those who may have this or similar Craftsman / MTD models, 247887001 247.887001, whom have had enough of there tecumseh.

This isnt meant to be a walk through, but an idea of what you will come across.

Removing the old motor - 2 bolts are obstructed, 2 arent.

Standing the blower on the bucket will be best, as you will need to work on the "axle", a cog on the axle, the "Driveshaft or Differential" and another gear on that.

First is first, i took off the wheel on the left side of the blower. Took out the shear pin that held the cog in place on the axle, and then slid it all to the left so the axle falls into the chassis.

Second - i basically did the same with the drive shaft. However, you need to knock a roll pin out to free the gear on this bar. Once that is done, there is a cotter pin and washer that holds it in place on the right side of the chassis. Undo these and put them in a safe place. Slide it to the left so that half of it falls in.

Your obstructed bolts are not able to be reached.

Mounted the predator using new hardware. Used this to get an idea of what i would need to do to line up the pulleys to the drive and auger pulleys.

Pick up 3" OD, 3/4" ID pulleys, for the predator, since the 7/8" ones on my shaft were 2 piece and had a key built into the pulleys themselves.... They wouldnt be easily reused.
OEM OD is 2 ad 7/8" btw... so this is a bit over driven.

Figure out what orientation the pulley would wind up in. To be honest, i need to loose a couple mm to bring the pulley at the furthest end of the shaft in more to better align with auger drive pulley. I may attempt to flip the outside pulley to see if it aligns better.

I made a spacer to extend the shaft a tiny bit

With a slightly larger pulley then stock, i had to redrill the auger clutch#21, for where the idler pulley#18 needed to sit.

this is the hardest part i think. To get the clutch arm out, you need to completely dissasemble the guts of the auger.

First you have to undo the 13mm holding the splined auger drive pulley. Pull everything apart.

Then, undo the two 13mm that hold the auger baring captive to the bucket.

Undo the two 13mm machine bolts on both side of the auger bucket (4 total)

you can not take it out.

To take the clutch arm out, you undo the 24 that is in the bucket that holds 19. Note the orientation of the washer.

(that doubled hole is OEM. This is the idler pulley re drilled.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Received): 50
Are the pulleys you bought made of pot metal? (Zinc Die cast). If so they aren't going to last for this type of application. You need to buy ones made of steel. Take a look at my thread of one I re-powered.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ator-swap.html

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720

Last edited by Motor City; 01-25-2016 at 04:02 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City View Post
Are the pulleys you bought made of pot metal? (Zinc Die cast). If so they aren't going to last for this type of application. You need to buy ones made of steel. Take a look at my thread of one I re-powered.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ator-swap.html
I ended up swapping those out. those were type A, and of course the auger and drive needed type o

i would up with these - CA0300X075KW.

Probably less than favorable material. could you point me in the direction of a steel type O pulley they had the same or similar 3l pitch diameter? (2.55")

Trying to continue using stock belts.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 365
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
....and also, that screw head bolt that you have in the end of the crankshaft.....swap it for a good grade hex bolt. jmo

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by unearth078 View Post
I ended up swapping those out. those were type A, and of course the auger and drive needed type o

i would up with these - CA0300X075KW.

Probably less than favorable material. could you point me in the direction of a steel type O pulley they had the same or similar 3l pitch diameter? (2.55")
My blower looks to be similar to yours. For my 5.5HP Tec to Pred/Rato swap I'm planning on using a Browning AK28x3/4 cast-iron sheave for the auger and and an AK25x3/4 sheave for the traction drive.

The AK28 gives about the same OD as the OE multi-part pulley setup and a nominal 3L PD of 2.26". This may mean slightly slower auger speed but increased torque so I see that as an okay trade-off. With a pending impeller modification it should still throw snow pretty well. I wanted the same OD because I worried about belt-cover and idler interference and didn't want to drill and relocate that.

The AK25 gives a PD of 1.96", about the same as the stock setup so walking speed should be about the same.

These seem to be fairly common, tough iron pulleys that should last forever. Check TB Woods. They even show up in a google search from amazon.com.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is that the setscrew on the traction pulley, when mounted in the correct spot on the crank, appears to align with the part of the radiused part of the keyway in the crank, where the machining ends and the key does not reach. I can't rearrange the pulleys to make this work so I may have to drill and tap that pulley for a new setscrew, perhaps down in the 'V'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page