post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 6
Re-power Compact 24 LE?

During this last blizzard my Compact 24 did pretty well considering but I was often stopping when the engine would load up due to too much snow. EOD in first gear is still often too fast.

I was thinking that for perhaps $400 I could buy one of those 10-11hp briggs engines and bolt it on there.

I really need the 24" bucket to fit down the paths around my house and a Platinum 24" would run $1500. I already have heated grips so other than chute control, wheel size and turning(none of which I have issues with)...it's mostly just power.

I was looking at something like this: 20P414-0015 which has the electric start. It actually looks like the same engine on mine now.

I have not ripped my current machine apart and since I don't have a garage, I'm stuck doing it outside.

I can't seem to figure out the engine shaft size for my current engine so that I can re-use the same sheave.

I also can't seem to determine if the alternator on the new engine has some sort of wiring take-off that I can attach to my light and hand warmers.

I've re-powered my log splitter here:
and roto-tiller with Harbor Freight 212 motors so I'm treading somewhat familiar territory.

I was just hoping for some input?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-25-2016, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Anything is possible. You could try only taking half a width when you get to the EOD. The easiest way to see what your shaft size is is to just pull the belt cover off and measure it. If you are in the $400 range already you could try the larger Predators as well.

If you are generally happy except for this recent storm you could just get by with it until summer and look for a great deal on something used.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
During this last blizzard my Compact 24 did pretty well, EOD in first gear is still often too fast.
You might want to consider to verify if your friction is close to center when in first gear, if not then you could adjust it to go slower and it would be slightly faster in reverse. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
I probably won't see any more significant snow (i.e. 15+) the rest of this year, but right now my mind is on it and come June I'll be on to the next thing.

I would just like to be able to push into plow leavings without bogging down within reason. It just feels a little underpowered to me right now. I use my plow to get most of the apron cleaned up but I generally like to tidy up what the town leaves me that I can't do with the plow.

I'll have to rip it apart this weekend assume it's not 10 below.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
Curious: Does your compact 24 have the 208cc AX engine?

If so, its mounting foot uses the 6.375" x 3.125" dimensions. The Briggs is a frame-size larger and its footprint is 7.688" x 3.375".

Maybe their 1150 (250cc) would, with the right crankshaft option, be a better fit. Should physically drop in place of the AX motor.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
Curious: Does your compact 24 have the 208cc AX engine?

If so, its mounting foot uses the 6.375" x 3.125" dimensions. The Briggs is a frame-size larger and its footprint is 7.688" x 3.375".

Maybe their 1150 (250cc) would, with the right crankshaft option, be a better fit. Should physically drop in place of the AX motor.
Mine is a 2010. The engine is 205CC. I've been trying to find a manual or diagram for this motor but I'm apparently not looking in the right places. I suppose I could just get a caliper and measure it, but it's cold and dark outside . I will have to do some measuring on the weekend when it's at least light out while I'm home.

The service manual calls it "Briggs and Stratton Polar Force 900 Series 120V"

Last edited by Mal; 01-26-2016 at 08:36 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-26-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Mal

Post Thanks / Like
Hmm, well after digging through the briggs site and mounting plate PDF, my motor (12D134) has a 3.12x6.37 base and the 20P414 is larger.

The 15C114 which is 2FT/LB more (11.50 vs 9.5)is the same footprint so would be a direct drop in. I'm not sure 2ft/lb is enough to bother with for $300+. I suppose I could fabricate an adapter plate or just drill some holes for the bigger engine. Ah well, bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page