Craftsman/MTD 5/24 Preditor Repower eating Auger belts - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman/MTD 5/24 Preditor Repower eating Auger belts

I've re-powered with the Predator 212 engine....WOW, what a difference!

Problem is....I'm wearing out auger belts. I believe, at this time, that the cause is simply lots more power.

Unfortunately, my only "test run" is the 30" blizzard of the mid-atlantic, and I ran the thing very, very hard. It will not stall... But I think the belt is taking a lot more torque than MTD designed it for.

I'm using HD Dayco and Gates "PowerRated" belts...

I notice the MTD machines with bigger engines have dual belts, so I think I'm really pushing it.

Does anyone know if MTD made an auger pulley that will bolt on and uses 1/2 belts instead of 3/8 belts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to the forum DitchWizard

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I am sure they have. Or you can find a used pulley from a different machine. Just patch up the critical dimensions and you should be good. I agree you probably want a half inch belt.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 43
Sometimes you can fit a 1/2in belt on the existing pulley. You may want to also go to a cogged belt for power equipment. More surface area.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 58
Talking

Mine is a MTD 5/24 I repowered with the 212cc . I put a new 28.5x1/2 belt on it. I have not had a whole bunch of snow to blow but have had a chance to do snow 2 twice and slush once and it is working and wearing just fine.

Al
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
There's also a chance something is broken or loose and allowing some flex while operating.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
I found out that the belt alignment is really critical on my repower....
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...repowered.html

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchwizard View Post
I've re-powered with the Predator 212 engine....WOW, what a difference!

Problem is....I'm wearing out auger belts. I believe, at this time, that the cause is simply lots more power.

Unfortunately, my only "test run" is the 30" blizzard of the mid-atlantic, and I ran the thing very, very hard. It will not stall... But I think the belt is taking a lot more torque than MTD designed it for.

I'm using HD Dayco and Gates "PowerRated" belts...

I notice the MTD machines with bigger engines have dual belts, so I think I'm really pushing it.

Does anyone know if MTD made an auger pulley that will bolt on and uses 1/2 belts instead of 3/8 belts?
Thanks, folks.

I'm running an OE MTD belt right now -- this is the type that has the "cogs" on the ID (inside). Maybe thats better...

I have to assume the shaft comes out of the engine square and true...and since I've never hsd a belt go bad before, I'm gonna assume the auger pulley/shaft is square and true. And the housing has no cracks.

So...the only real change i s the engine pulley. Ive carefully measured the diameters of both the old and new, and I am satisfied.

I like the idea of using a straightedge on the pelleys to check one face against another. Not much room to do that, but if I could do that, maybe the engine pulley needs to be slid a bit one way or the other...
post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, here is the latest update, in case you all are interested....

I've switched back to the OEM MTD "cogged" auger belt -- 754(954)-0430(A)(B), etc.

In addition, I replaced the idler pulley -- it had some play, new one does not. I think it is a Stens part.

Also, I split the machine and removed the "auger idler bracket", and straightened it on an anvil and vise.

Upon reassembly, I switched out the flat washer that is used under the "shoulder screw" that the bracket pivots on. I had something "in stock" that was slightly thicker, and the bracket no longer "wiggles" when the shoulder screw is fully tightened. This was viewed from the top with the pulley cover removed as the idler pulley moving from side to side as the auger clutch lever was moved and the spring applied tension. Much more solid when the auger clutch lever is actuated. Of course, I wiped everything clean and then lubed the friction surfaces.

Most of the snow is gone here, but I found some that was frozen in some places, busted it with a shovel and ran through it with the snowblower. No issues, including flipping of the belt when the clutch is released (that was probably due to the pulley cover being off, and the "brake" tab at the bottom of the auger bracket possibly being out of alignment with a bent bracket).

Might get a few inches Monday night into Tuesday morning, so that should be a nice, easy "test" snow that I have been looking for....
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Oh, forgot to say that I moved the auger pulley out from the engine about 1/8", based upon a lot of eyeballing with the belt removed and a straight piece of metal held against the pulleys....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page