1970s Ariens 10000 series with thrown rod - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
1970s Ariens 10000 series with thrown rod

I've got a 1970s era big orange Ariens 10000 model snow thrower that sadly I believe has a thrown rod (white smoke coming out before stop, clunk sound, can't pull start the engine, auger moves fine).

I've read that the Predator 212 engine is a good replacement but if it is reasonable to repair the existing engine, I'd be happy with that too.

If anyone has things I could look for to tell me the engine is not worth repairing (e.g. block cracked, likely crankshaft damage, etc) I'd appreciate it.

Also, if replacing the thrown rod requires more than basic disassembly/reassembly skills and basic tools I'd appreciate knowing that.

And finally - if doable, a pointer to a good "howto" web page or book would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
to the forum Jim

Sorry for your loss.

I'm going to move this to Re-Powering. There are two schools of thought. One is to go with another Tec engine (new or used) to keep it original and the other is to use whatever you have or can get and have a working snowblower.

The predator is the common replacement because it's new technology, easy starting, likely better on gas and CHEAP to buy.

The Tec you have can be repaired. You want to look behind the electric starter and see if the block is cracked. The photo below is my "ventilated" 832. There are blocks available new and used if you'd want to change it over but that's IMHO a lot of work.
Compared to installing a 6.5hp Predator, I'd go predator but that's me.

There are also 11 horse new Tecumseh engines for $115 and a little less if you shop but the crankshaft is tapered for a generator. It's a great engine for very little cash if you like to tinker. There are threads about making those fit too.

Small Engine Surplus.com OH318EA-222712 Tecumseh 11 HP

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arens 924 832 Tec with broken rod a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	75545  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
Predator and impeller kit. You will be so impressed vs how it worked with old engine
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, 43128 liked this post
post #4 of 7 Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 5
screw the Predator idea// that warehouse has another 11hp Tec brand new for $89.

I am not a fan of Predator or any other clone let alone a "real" Honduh engine. Tecumseh, Kohler, Briggs or nothing.

Last edited by dodgetrucker; 01-28-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetrucker View Post
screw the Predator idea// that warehouse has another 11hp Tec brand new for $89.

I am not a fan of Predator or any other clone let alone a "real" Honduh engine. Tecumseh, Kohler, Briggs or nothing.
with all do respect, what is the quality difference between a honda clone engine or an offfshore built engine labeled as briggs or tech ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
with all do respect, what is the quality difference between a honda clone engine or an offfshore built engine labeled as briggs or tech ?
The Honda clones are typically better quality compared to Briggs engines in my opinion because they all have cast iron bores and ball bearing supported crankshafts, most Briggs I've seen have "kool bore" cylinders which is just plain aluminum and bushing supported cranks. Clone parts are cheaper and are easier to get if you look around, Briggs parts are expensive. Honda clones start easier and run smoother then most Briggs engine. Tecumseh vs Honda clones clones win hands down no contest
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GustoGuy, Rob711 liked this post
post #7 of 7 Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore65 View Post
If anyone has things I could look for to tell me the engine is not worth repairing (e.g. block cracked, likely crankshaft damage, etc) I'd appreciate it.
If the block isn't cracked or broken behind the electric starter you can almost certainly repair the engine. A lot of times even if it is you can still fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore65 View Post
Also, if replacing the thrown rod requires more than basic disassembly/reassembly skills and basic tools I'd appreciate knowing that.
You really don't need much. You should have a puller to remove the flywheel, but even that isn't totally necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetrucker View Post
You don't work on this stuff for a living do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page