Predator......Durability, Perfomance and Life span? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-22-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Predator......Durability, Perfomance and Life span?

So who has the longest installed predator on an actively working snow blower combo? I realize most of you (I think) who do set up a predator on a unit in need, turn them over. Just curious if some one may already have one that's has a substantial amount of hours on it?
any Feedback?
How does it perform?? Make any sense to go up in HP or CCs or are you all happy with the 6.5 HP 212cc.
thanks

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird

Last edited by Biketrax; 02-22-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 404 thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
For the record, I have never owned any equipment with a Predator motor...

How many hours do you use a blower each year ?
Of course that depends on the size of your drive/walks.
Where I live, we average 140" a year, but my blower only sees 10 hrs at most of annual use. So in my case I'd be happy with 250-300 hrs which translates to 25-30 years.
I would think a Predator should last at least 300 hrs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 404, 43128, Biketrax liked this post
post #3 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 12:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
I have put a few on different machines. Only one I have right now is on a bluebird power rake/dethatcher. It gets used about 30 or so lawns a year, takes on average 30 minutes per lawn. 4 years of use. One oil change per year. No other Maintenance yet.

So about 60 hours give or take. Pulled it out this morning, blew out the air filter. It was last used in May 2015.

I know everyone says this but... I turned the gas on(treated gas) and it started, one pull.
Needs a little choke now to prevent surging. That's a new issue. I will have to clean out the jet.
Thanks Biketrax thanked for this post
post #4 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i have had 3 predators and about 3 196cc clones. they should have no problem lasting at least 500 hours, except maybe the fuel line. just keep it stored indoors, drain the gas at the end of each season, and do the break in with dino for 5 hours and then use synthetic oil for the life of the motor after that
Thanks Biketrax thanked for this post
post #5 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Out of all the catastrophic failures, that I seen or posted by others, I can't recall any of them being a predator.

That's not to say that they are perfect engines, but it could be that they are inexpensive enough, that folks replace them instead of posting up about problems.......?

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
[QUOTE=Biketrax;965ho has the longest installed predator on an actively working snow blower combo? I realize most of you (I think) who do set up a predator on a unit in need, turn them over. Just curious if some one may already have one that's has a substantial amount of hours on it?
any Feedback?
How does it perform?? Make any sense to go up in HP or CCs or are you all happy with the 6.5 HP 212cc.
thanks[/QUOTE]

I own 3 predator 212cc engines One is on a mini bike and two are on snowblowers. Out of the three engines the mini bike definitely has the most miles/hours on it. This coming summer Will be the fourth summer that I have the Predator 212cc on the mini bike. The predator 212 is a darling of the carting world And people buy this engine to race it and have absolutely beat the snot out of it And run it harder than any Tecumseh Snow King engine could ever be run And they seem to hold up pretty darn well. There are also tons of GoFast parts available on old mini bikes.Com and NR racing Plus Other suppliers of clone Chinese clone engines. Seems like the only people who do not like this engine are the people that have never used one before.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Biketrax, Red3790 thanked for this post
Likes Biketrax, 43128, bad69cat liked this post
post #7 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
I haven't had one across the operating table yet..... but they are not issued equipment either - so take that with a grain of salt. Time will tell. They seem to be pretty robust from what I have read about. I think I will put one on my tiller to replace an old Tec just for testing purposes...... should be a good get to know them thing

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Biketrax liked this post
post #8 of 24 Old 02-23-2016, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I have never seen anyone complain about a predator with a fatal failure on this site. It has a ball bearing on the output shaft. Not all snow kings can says this.

This is my 3rd winter with a Predator and It has been just fine with the exception of a dirty carb. One oil change a year and it performs better than the Techumseh that came with the machine.

Check out some of the go cart racing forums as they use this engine much more than the snow blower crowd. As gusto said, unlike a snow blower crowd they push the engine to its limits. They like to soup up the 212 cc engine to get more power out of it.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 02-24-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128, Biketrax liked this post
post #9 of 24 Old 02-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
"I have never seen anyone complain about a predator with a fatal failure on this site. It has a ball bearing on the output shaft. Not all snow kings can says this."

i dont think any snow king can say that. every snow kind i have ever had apart has had bronze bushings. predators have dual ball bearings and a cast iron bore(which the hm80s and better have, h70s and below are "kool bores")
post #10 of 24 Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
I am interested in the same thing.

I tried searching the forums for "Predator" and "Clone" and a few other terms to find the oldest postings out there ... but I think the search stops after 500 hits and won't go back further. That gives me hits that are too recent.

The two questions I would like to get data on are..

1) If your Predator is still working well...How many winters has your Predator survived so far without a major failure? Can you estimate the total hours so far?

2) If your Predator has had a major failure... how many winters did it last before failing? Can you estimate the total hours when it failed?

I know... it's not very scientific because people use their machines very differently in different conditions... but it would be nice to know.
Also... people who have had failures probably say nothing and just go buy another one for $99.
Even so, does anyone have any statistics to share?
If yours is doing fine...survival numbers less than (say) three years are probably too recent to be useful.
If yours FAILED I'd especially like to hear those numbers.

Last edited by unknown1; 02-24-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page