Anyone feel auger RPM after repower was TOO FAST? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 03-08-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 10
Anyone feel auger RPM after repower was TOO FAST?

Thanks everyone for the great contents of this forum.

Many repowers increase the motor pulley size. Any first hand problems to report on the RPM increase? (I have not read any complaints)

Any repowers that blow too fast now?

I am thinking that if no one has problems with the current higher auger rpm then we can run the auger even faster. I have seen some actual numbers suggested for the max rpm. Where do/did those numbers come from?

All replies appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 7
What I've read says they try to run impellers at 1000 rpm. What they turn when filled with gunk is impossible to guess. In an ideal world if it was turning 1000 under a full load likely that would be acceptable. We all have a streak of Tim the TM in our system to unload though. I'd think the more we pushed that auger the closer to shear pin failure we'd get. The ground speed and the auger speed are in a design set ratio. To pull the machine ahead by the auger has got to be counterproductive for the design.
Any experimenters out there? LOL

Last edited by Mr Fixit; 03-09-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
[QUOTE=404;

I have seen some actual numbers suggested for the max rpm. Where do/did those numbers come from?

All replies appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what numbers you refer to, but you can figure out auger rpm by calculating engine RPM x reduction ratio of pulleys x reduction ratio of gearbox. Depending on the machine, and how well it's built, you might get away with running the auger somewhat faster, but if you have plastic bushings or thin brass or bronze bushings in place of bearings, you might just wear things out before their time.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #4 of 47 Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
What I've read says they try to run impellers at 2000 rpm. What they turn when filled with gunk is impossible to guess. In an ideal world if it was turning 2000 under a full load likely that would be acceptable. We all have a streak of Tim the TM in our system to unload though. I'd think the more we pushed that auger the closer to shear pin failure we'd get. The ground speed and the auger speed are in a design set ratio. To pull the machine ahead by the auger has got to be counterproductive for the design.
Any experimenters out there? LOL
I would say 2000 would be too fast. Older machines are set for around 900 - 1000 and newer machines around 1100-1300.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 47 Old 03-09-2016, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all replies so far.

I had only thought of resonant vibration problems.

Any additional comment welcome.
post #6 of 47 Old 03-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
I think you would do best to try and stick to the same pulley sizes (or at least the same ratio). A lot of the newer units don't have bearings and use plastic bushings...... which you can't trust anyway.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 47 Old 03-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I would start with what are you trying to achieve and what is the speed you are running now. Keep in mind the larger the impeller diameter the faster the speed of the outer surface and therefore more throwing power.

Are you trying to throw snow farther? Are you trying to move snow faster?

If it is the former, I would add an impeller kit. Relatively cheap and other benefits as well.

If it is the former I would start with what Skutflut suggested and establish what speed you are at now and see how much faster you can practically get with a larger top pulley. Keep in mind all of the trade offs outlined by the other posters. Also, you may have to rework your belt cover too.

You can buy a digital tachometer that runs off of the spark plug wire and base line your top engine and impeller speed. They are on Ebay etc. at reasonable prices and easy to install.

It would be interesting to hear the experiences of members who have increased their impeller speed and how has it held up to date.

Good luck!

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 03-09-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 47 Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you all for your replies. So far no one has said they made the impeller too fast and had a problem though. The problems pointed out in the replies are certainly possible though.

My goal is to move snow at a faster rate. I also don't like the pile of snow that gets pushed in front of the machine. I had better check engine rpm, been a long time since I did. The selling dealer turned down the rpm before delivery, said it would make the motor last longer. I guess it has done that.

I stared doing an impeller kit, and then ended up lining the bottom half of the impeller housing with a sheet of HDPE that is cunningly held on with toilet flange bolts. This worked great. I am just getting an itch for MORE POWER and am so sick of the carbs on the techumseh. The new china carb I got on ebay works fine, I am just burnt out on it.

The candidate machine is Ariens 10 32 from 1987 with a cast iron gear box and a six blade impeller.
post #9 of 47 Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
Your Ariens sounds like it is pretty heavy duty although I am not directly familiar with it. I assumed you checked this out..... but are you sure the auger belt is not slipping?

The sheet of HDPE is good for clogging and build up but it is not a direct substitute for the impellar kit. If you have any gap between the impellar blade and the housing, snow will fall through that gap and add to the inefficiency of moving snow. The Impellar kit will close that gap and increase the impellar blade tip velocity.

Between finishing the impellar kit and increasing engine RPM (with out exceeding the engine's stated max stated) you may be happy enough with the end result.

The way the weather is going you may not find out untill next season. This gives you more time to finish the work and to do it in better weather. Good Luck.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 404 thanked for this post
Likes 404 liked this post
post #10 of 47 Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The auger belt is a Stens and is the correct part number. My blower takes a non standard belt size (width and length) . The stens belt shows a lot of yellow kevlar throughout. It was more expensive, but I did not burn a belt after I put it on. The blower did really well the season before this one, where we had a lot of snow. But the engine was laboring in deep snow. I will up the rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page