Does a GX series Honda require fabrication of heat shields/cowlings ??? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
Does a GX series Honda require fabrication of heat shields/cowlings ???

For those of you who have done a re-power using a gx series Honda, did you have any icing/governor issues that required you to winterize it with cowlings/heat shields/etc...?

Or does it seems to run well without any issues ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post
For those of you who have done a re-power using a gx series Honda, did you have any icing/governor issues that required you to winterize it with cowlings/heat shields/etc...?

Or does it seems to run well without any issues ?
A standard Honda GX engine (and all clones and such) are not winter ready and ideally require winterizing.

I've had a Predator throttle linkage freeze up on me once, but most people say they have no issues with them.

If you install a Genuine Honda GX engine you can always get the Honda "winter shield covers" from its corresponding snowblower engine through a parts supplier (or eBay in some cases). At least one member has done it that way.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
Hey russkat we meet again on another topic I dealt with. I installed a Predator 212cc Honda clone engine on my 1971 Ariens Sno-Thro. I have used it now for 2 years with no issues. I paid $99 dollars for it. The air filter is enclosed in a plastic box so I haven't had issues with it as far as moisture getting in or anything like that. Another great thing is I was able to hook my throttle cable up to that engine, since it's an older machine that had the throttle up on the handle bar. The other great thing about the engine is the amount of power I am getting from it. Rated at 212cc it still manages to give me almost as much power as my 8 horsepower Tecumseh does, which is 318cc. Here are a few photo's of it and the link to the ebay video I made showing the machine before with it's original 7hp Tecumseh and after with the predator and how I installed it and the difference in power. Luckily my old Ariens is a single shaft machine and the shaft was the same size and sat exactly where it did for the Tecumseh. If you're swapping out a machine that had a second shaft on the engine or is larger you have to make alterations and I'm not sure if you would be able to use a single shaft engine on a machine that has the second pto shaft. Those are some things to consider when doing a repower. Ideally I would have preferred to put a 10 or 12 horsepower Tecumseh on my machine which are selling new on ebay from $385 dollars to $450 dollars plus shipping, but that is very pricey and at $99 bucks it is affordable and you get an engine with a lot of power and quality. A lot of people have done repowers on all kind's of different machine's and go kart's now with success using that particular brand engine. In the racing circle's for go karts and mini bike's they are selling modification kits for those engine's now, from carbs with larger jet's, to high airflow intake air filter's along with a stator too power lights, to upgraded exhausts and all kinds of different thing's, so it would not surprise me if they have made a kit to alter the engine from using an air filter to just having a heater box like a traditional snowblower engine, if they haven't yet, I'm sure they will in the future with all the modification kits that have come out for those engine's. (My photo's are on my other computer, I will get them up briefly. In the meantime the link to my youtube video's with my machine with the engine swap (upgrade).
Classic 1971 Ariens Sno Thro 10000 series 32 wide Bucket with original engine:
Classic 1971 Ariens-Predator 212cc powered 32 wide Sno Thro:
post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
I was looking thru the photo gallery and one guy fabricated a heater cover box to put over his Predator (Honda clone), I haven't found it necessary yet, but It can be done with a little ingenuity, this was nicely done, check it out, here is the link: Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums - msteiny's Album: My projects - Picture
post #5 of 6 Old 08-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Older versions of Honda's HS-series 2-stage machines had optional 'cold-weather' kits, which were a series of air guides, baffles, etc. that protected the area around the carburetor, as well as directed some exhaust heat to prevent ice from building up a freezing the linkage. This was not standard on these models, as it was a somewhat rare problem.

All Canada-spec HS 2-stage machines came standard with the kit installed, and late production HS 2-stage machines sold in the USA were also fitted with the kit at the factory. The kits were bolt-on, and were designed to work with Honda GX engines and parts of the HS-series frame. I think it would be a challenge to retrofit them to a non-Honda snow blower frame, even with a Honda or Honda GX clone engine.

Keep in mind, Honda doesn't make a snow-ready engine you can buy off the shelf loose. Honda snow blower engines are only sold when you buy an entire Honda snow blower.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes YSHSfan liked this post
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2016, 03:50 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Here is some information from one of the threads about some of the Honda shields that were able to fit with a little modifying to cover up the Honda clone predator very well.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ds-covers.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page