LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens 28 deluxe motor swap

Figured I'd share my motor swap project with you guys. I have a ariens delux 28 model 921022 with the small briggs polar force 11.50 250cc motor. Originally the power was okay for small to light storms and for home use. The last two years I've been using it for commercial use though and the power output has gotten on my nerve lol. Was thinking of just going with the briggs 1650 motor since that motor was a option on that blower. But figured if I'm going to swap a motor might as well go big. So I got a briggs 21 that can be found on the ariens professional series blower. I have a few pictures of the process but I can't post pictures yet with my low post count. So when I can I will upload them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 295
Likes (Received): 606
Upload pics to Tinypic and post the links instead.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome fellow NYer!

I think after 10 posts, I have asked the admin to change that policy, we'll see! In the meantime, Welcome Aboard!
post #4 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm going to try and do the motor swap using part numbers from the professional 28 model 926038 (the motor baffle plate, and the two motor mount plates with studs already on them that get rivited to the chassis ). I also ordered another belt cover that fits mine to combine the two to fit with the bigger motor. I'll keep the original base as is and cut the top section off and combine the newer cover top with more cover on the bottom to the top of the older one.

Two questions I have are,

1) Both motors are 1 inch cranks so I was able to reuse the same pulleys but started wondering if the professional one uses different diameter pulleys and if I should use them? I looked up both models and the ariens numbers are different between the two but it doesn't say if one is bigger or smaller then the other. Also what is the ariens advertising of the enhanced pulleys I remember reading on here somewhere. Do they make the auger spin faster or the auger spin easier under a load but slower?

2) The auger gear boxes themselves share the same numbers but the internal parts have different numbers between the delux 28 and professional 28. Is their a difference between the two or just new numbers given? Was slightly concern about my gearbox handling the 21 motor.

post #5 of 39 Old 09-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf80 View Post
I'm going to try and do the motor swap using part numbers from the professional 28 model 926038 (the motor baffle plate, and the two motor mount plates with studs already on them that get rivited to the chassis ). I also ordered another belt cover that fits mine to combine the two to fit with the bigger motor. I'll keep the original base as is and cut the top section off and combine the newer cover top with more cover on the bottom to the top of the older one.

Two questions I have are,

1) Both motors are 1 inch cranks so I was able to reuse the same pulleys but started wondering if the professional one uses different diameter pulleys and if I should use them? I looked up both models and the ariens numbers are different between the two but it doesn't say if one is bigger or smaller then the other. Also what is the ariens advertising of the enhanced pulleys I remember reading on here somewhere. Do they make the auger spin faster or the auger spin easier under a load but slower?

2) The auger gear boxes themselves share the same numbers but the internal parts have different numbers between the delux 28 and professional 28. Is their a difference between the two or just new numbers given? Was slightly concern about my gearbox handling the 21 motor.

I have a Platinum 30 SHO which uses twin Impeller/Auger belts like the Pro models. The diameter of the pulleys is 2.75" on the Platinum and the Pro but they use a different part number and a different bolt to attach the pulley to the end of the crank. The belts are different but the same width. The impeller shaft pulley is the same part number for both Platinum SHO and Pro model.

Since I could not find any info on the pulley sizes and the Pro is rated at a higher impeller speed (1112 v 1083 for Platinum SHO at 3600 rpm) I bought the Pro pulley for increased impeller rpm. But the pulley size is the same so the Pro and Platinum impeller speed should be rated the same. The non SHO Platinum impeller speed is rated at 1010 rpm.

What diameter is your pulley? The higher the impeller rpm the farther the snow will be hurled and the more effective the impeller is on watery snow/slush without clogging. But you need more torque and hp to drive the impeller. Also, to get the rated impeller speed you need the engine running at rated speed of 3600 or so. Lowering engine speed to 3500 rpm drops the impeller speed substantially.

I am not familiar with the relative strengths of the auger gearboxes.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I have a Platinum 30 SHO which uses twin Impeller/Auger belts like the Pro models. The diameter of the pulleys is 2.75" on the Platinum and the Pro but they use a different part number and a different bolt to attach the pulley to the end of the crank. The belts are different but the same width. The impeller shaft pulley is the same part number for both Platinum SHO and Pro model.

Since I could not find any info on the pulley sizes and the Pro is rated at a higher impeller speed (1112 v 1083 for Platinum SHO at 3600 rpm) I bought the Pro pulley for increased impeller rpm. But the pulley size is the same so the Pro and Platinum impeller speed should be rated the same. The non SHO Platinum impeller speed is rated at 1010 rpm.

What diameter is your pulley? The higher the impeller rpm the farther the snow will be hurled and the more effective the impeller is on watery snow/slush without clogging. But you need more torque and hp to drive the impeller. Also, to get the rated impeller speed you need the engine running at rated speed of 3600 or so. Lowering engine speed to 3500 rpm drops the impeller speed substantially.

I am not familiar with the relative strengths of the auger gearboxes.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info Town. I just measured mine, my dual auger belt pulley diameter is 2.50 inches.

Thinking I should go to the bigger pulley since I'm sure this motor won't have a problem handling it.

What model number is yours? So I can look it up in a parts diagram.

Does your motor have a 1 inch crankshaft?

What size motor are you running?

Last edited by LoneWolf80; 09-21-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add question
post #7 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Thanks for the info Town. I just measured mine, my dual auger belt pulley diameter is 2.50 inches.

Thinking I should go to the bigger pulley since I'm sure this motor won't have a problem handling it.

What model number is yours? So I can look it up in a parts diagram.

Does your motor have a 1 inch crankshaft?

What size motor are you running?

My model number is 921040. It has the 1" crankshaft. My engine is the 414 cc AX engine made for Ariens by LCT. It has 20 lbs/ft of torque. The SHO feature increases the engine pulley to 2.75". My Platinum model has the long "wheelbase" so extra weight on the bucket; this configuration may need a longer engine impeller pulley. I will measure the length. I will also measure the Pro pulley since that machine has the short "wheelbase".

You must have the 420 cc engine from the Pro model made by B&S for Ariens to have 21 ft/lbs of torque. I think the regular B&S 420 cc engines are normally rated at about 18 to 19 ft lbs. The pulley for the Pro uses a different bolt.

Good luck.

post #8 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
My model number is 921040. It has the 1" crankshaft. My engine is the 414 cc AX engine made for Ariens by LCT. It has 20 lbs/ft of torque. The SHO feature increases the engine pulley to 2.75". My Platinum model has the long "wheelbase" so extra weight on the bucket; this configuration may need a longer engine impeller pulley. I will measure the length. I will also measure the Pro pulley since that machine has the short "wheelbase".

You must have the 420 cc engine from the Pro model made by B&S for Ariens to have 21 ft/lbs of torque. I think the regular B&S 420 cc engines are normally rated at about 18 to 19 ft lbs. The pulley for the Pro uses a different bolt.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Yes the motor I'm using is the 420cc briggs with 21 torque. The pulleys slide right on but you are correct on a different bolt needing to be used to secure the pulleys (wasn't a big deal to do just swap the bolt, fit right in)

I just measured my lower auger pulley and it is 8.5 inches across (from outside edge to outside edge). I looked up your model number and they both share the same pulley on the bottom end.

Last edited by LoneWolf80; 09-21-2016 at 09:05 AM.
post #9 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I just measured my lower auger pulley and it is 8.5 inches across (from outside edge to outside edge). I looked up your model number and they both share the same pulley on the bottom end.

Yes, I just measured my pulley at 8.5".

post #10 of 39 Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Did some math...

Mine now
3600 x 2.5 8.5= 1058

Yours (Town)
3600 x 2.75 8.5= 1164

Is it worth it to increase to your size?

Also with a 3" pulley it jumps to 1270

Other thing I was factoring in was with my old motor set at 3600 rpm's under no load was probably operating if I was lucky at 3000 rpms under a normal operating load for a speed of 882. So with the new motor with the same pulleys I have a good feeling rpm's won't be dropping at all under a load so I'll have a operating speed at the auger of 1058.

You think I should jump to the 2.75 pulley you have or stay with my setup.

Was 2.75 the largest size pulley ariens uses lately in their snowblowers?

I'm thinking just for dependability if I was to plus size I'd go to 2.75 and no bigger. Since I can't afford to blow stuff up and not finish my accounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page