1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 found free at curb today - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 found free at curb today

Hey all. I am now a proud Simplicity owner, out least for the time being. My neighbor called me and left me a message that there was a machine at the curb a neighborhood over. Got the message within 5 minutes. Quickly ran and got my ramps and drove over their and was delightfully surprised to see this beauty at the curb and in very descent shape. A 1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 single Stage snowblower model 990482 with a Briggs Easy Spin 4 horsepower 4 cycle engine model 100202 type 0180-01 code 6806117. That makes it a 1968, 49 and 1/2 years old. It will become a 50 year old antique next June. (If it was built in June of 68 it was likely sold in late 1968 or early 1969). Anyway, got her home opened the gas tank, was happy to see it was dry. Added fuel and topped off the oil and it started and was running in 3 to 4 pulls. The machine is in excellent condition, it runs smooth and strong, it is fully functional, all the parts on it are in great shape. Cosmetically not bad, just needs a little touching up, but other than that, very nice shape. This is my first Simplicity and my first large frame heavy duty single stage Snowblower. I cant wait until I can try it out and see how it works, than from their I will decide weather to keep it or use it. It is also the first large frame snowblower I had with a Briggs and Stratton engine as I commonly get machines with Tecumseh's and this is a good Briggs engine, I have to say. Too bad its not a 5 hp, 7 hp or even better an 8 hp, but I cant complain. Very good day for me.
Here is a video I made of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	591.1 KB
ID:	107329   Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	107337   Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Simplicity Sno-Away S4 4.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	107345  

Last edited by FearlessFront; 09-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Nice find!
Boy that machine must have a few tales to tell over the past 50 years! Did it come from the original owner I wonder?

It's funny.. the other thread we've been on today with the Toro marketing video talking about their paddle being special because
the middle piece acts like an impeller.... machines like this were doing it 50 years ago!

Last edited by unknown1; 09-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 17
The guy mentioned his neighbor got it running last winter, I see the neighbor has a few mowers out front for sale. Most likely the neighbor got it from the original owner, because the dealership it was sold from is only a few miles away. That machine is actually a straight up single stage. In 1968 Simplicity sold two models the 4hp single stage I have and a 6hp two stage. The two stage had that second piece that rotated the same direction behind the auger, this one just has an auger and the snow goes straight up out the chute. It is basically a large heavy duty self propelled single stage, which you cant find in the store now if you tried. Not sure when the last big single stage was made, but its been a while, so its pretty neat. Cant wait to try it this winter and see how it does in snow. From what I hear they do not clog, since its a single stage and that auger moves so fast, it will throw the thickest slush, down side, it doesn't throw snow as far as a two stage from what I understand. But will see.....
post #4 of 6 Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I just love free !!

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Arrrggg... I want one! I bought what may be a 68 5hp MTD 20" unit with a seized motor. The guy that sold it to me found a really nice 22" Snowflight unit in very decent shape. I am awaiting delivery of that unit. I really like the retro stuff. That and old motorcycles. Great find BTW, well done!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsonly2002 View Post
Arrrggg... I want one! I bought what may be a 68 5hp MTD 20" unit with a seized motor. The guy that sold it to me found a really nice 22" Snowflight unit in very decent shape. I am awaiting delivery of that unit. I really like the retro stuff. That and old motorcycles. Great find BTW, well done!
Me too, and that snowblower would have stole my heart....such a great find. Congrats, i would have swooped down like an eagle to grab that thing. Some Cool factor here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page