LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Creepy Sno-Away S-7

Bought this snowblower back in dec 2013. It was on an auction and paid a little more than i should have. Late 60s Sno-Away S7. What caught my eye was the heavy duty aspect of it. 7hp briggs starts with 2 pulls no matter how cold it is. Cast iron 2 spd transmission with reverse. This thing is bomb proof. 2 things I don't care for on it is the 2 din impeller that only throws snow when the bucket is full and the transmission. It creeps when you put it in gear. Has anybody encountered this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 29
Creeps how? Too slow or moves w/o engaging the drive? Off hand I would say a too tight belt could cause unwanted creep.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
I have the allis chalmers version (Tracker-7) of it... my favorite machine.

regarding the snow throwing, Install the impeller rubber if you haven't already. It throws 2" and 28" of snow with vigor.

regarding the creeping, you need to make some adjustments to your traction...both your belt tension (idler pulley position) as well as your "touch-o-matic" traction engagement linkage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Could it be a bad adjustment situation?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'll inspect the drive belt and pulleys first and then move on to the touch o matic. I have been meaning to add rubber paddles to the impeller. Honestly I'm going to sell this one and most likely the 76 ariens 824. I really like the way my 72 Lawn Boy 2680 moves snow. Thanks for the replies

post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadmon30 View Post
I'll inspect the drive belt and pulleys first and then move on to the touch o matic. I have been meaning to add rubber paddles to the impeller. Honestly I'm going to sell this one and most likely the 76 ariens 824. I really like the way my 72 Lawn Boy 2680 moves snow. Thanks for the replies

Perhaps use the impeller kit before making up your mind to sell the bombproof, gear-transmission Simplicity. I assume yours also has the locking differential?

But boy...the 8hp briggs-powered lawnboy (rebranded Gilson) is some stiff competition...another SUPER-UNDERAPPRECIATED machine.

It's hard to get top-dollar for either of those machines despite their incredible build quality & performance.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jsup liked this post
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
Perhaps use the impeller kit before making up your mind to sell the bombproof, gear-transmission Simplicity. I assume yours also has the locking differential?

But boy...the 8hp briggs-powered lawnboy (rebranded Gilson) is some stiff competition...another SUPER-UNDERAPPRECIATED machine.

It's hard to get top-dollar for either of those machines despite their incredible build quality & performance.
If I had room I would keep all 3 for no other reason then collecting vintage iron. Fact is though, there simply isn't enough room in my 1 stall garage for the snow blowers and my snowmobiles and all of the other stuff the boss brings home. No doubt a guy will never get top dollar for it, not when there are nice machines on CL for $300 or less. I think several lousy snow years have hurt sales of new and used snowblowers. Heck, there is a 860e on FB for $100, talk about a smoking deal. No, unfortunately it does not have the locking differential, at least not to my knowledge.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatoxico View Post
Creeps how? Too slow or moves w/o engaging the drive? Off hand I would say a too tight belt could cause unwanted creep.
moves w/o engaging the drive when you select a speed. If it is idling with no speed selected and you put in in spd 1 to go forward it lurches forward.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadmon30 View Post
If I had room I would keep all 3 for no other reason then collecting vintage iron. Fact is though, there simply isn't enough room in my 1 stall garage for the snow blowers and my snowmobiles and all of the other stuff the boss brings home. No doubt a guy will never get top dollar for it, not when there are nice machines on CL for $300 or less. I think several lousy snow years have hurt sales of new and used snowblowers. Heck, there is a 860e on FB for $100, talk about a smoking deal. No, unfortunately it does not have the locking differential, at least not to my knowledge.
I hear ya Fadmon! I come across so many good deals on old Iron that I don't buy ...simply b/c I've come to terms with the fact that I won't sell them.

try to get that traction issue sorted before using it more. Apparently it's bad for the transmission to shift while the "touch-o-matic" is engaged. If you'd like, pm me your email and I'll send over any user/service manuals that I've collected.

Regarding the differential, If your machine has this silver plate on the left tire hub, you have a locking differential. In the image below, both wheels are locked (maximum traction). You pull/rotate the plate so it sits on the big pins for maximum maneuverability.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('80 Toro 724)

post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
I hear ya Fadmon! I come across so many good deals on old Iron that I don't buy ...simply b/c I've come to terms with the fact that I won't sell them.

try to get that traction issue sorted before using it more. Apparently it's bad for the transmission to shift while the "touch-o-matic" is engaged. If you'd like, pm me your email and I'll send over any user/service manuals that I've collected.

Regarding the differential, If your machine has this silver plate on the left tire hub, you have a locking differential. In the image below, both wheels are locked (maximum traction). You pull/rotate the plate so it sits on the big pins for maximum maneuverability.

Definitely no locking diff then. I have and owners manual that I have glanced through but I don't reacll seeing anything about adjusting the touch o matic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page