LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-03-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
860 Auger woes

Acquired a 860, not sure if it's an "S" or "SE" a couple years ago. Performed most needed repairs (I thought), ran fine when I used it until this year. Drive pulley behind impeller kept coming loose, put back in position and tightened (torqued) set screws each time and it only got worse. Tore it down the other day and found the keyway shot in the shaft. Ordered new shaft and keys, now the fun part. Augers are "frozen" on both left and right sides to the auger shaft, manual I have says to remove "end cap" and locking clip, then turn auger to push out bearing, seal and worm gear. Mine has a split case, no end cap. Was going to heat and drive augers off, but am nervous about damaging case. No way to put it in a press "fully assembled", I have to get the augers off and they aren't available, but auger shaft is available. Should I just cut the shaft at the case on either or both sides of the case and then try to press them out of the augers and replace shaft, or is there a good chance that they will "drive free" of the shaft without damaging the case after heating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF camaro78z

You can soak them from each end and the shear pin hole with PB Blaster or a good penetrant and mildly heat. I heat some then add the penetrating oil as the cooling effect will actually pull in the oil. Rapping on the augers shaft with a hammer might help break the rust up too. Just don't get carried away with the hammer. Get two big pipe wrenches and try to break the augers free.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Assuming you're referring to a hydraulic presses earlier, you sure can put the auger rakes in a press if you get a little creative. The frame is typically 2 pieces of channel with cross braces welded between them. Just get a couple of heavy pieces of channel, and use that clamped to the frame instead of the welded up affair. I've done that many times.

Assuming you can get the rakes out of the housing: arrange it with the auger shaft vertical, work in some penetrant and use a mapp torch on the center of the auger rakes to heat them up. Hit it with penetrant after heating as it will soak in at times after a little heat. Rap the center of the rakes with a hammer to shock them a little and with luck they'll crack loose some. Put in the press and put some pressure on them. I've rapped it with a hammer in the press too. This has taken multiple days for me to get them loose, but they ultimately came loose. Once off, clean up all the rust you can and put a lot of antiseize on the shaft prior to reassembly.

I do have a pdf that describes what I've done in the past if you're interested. Send me a pm if interested.

Paul
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog, eyebolt thanked for this post
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
Your rakes are probably on a stubby auger shaft and will be easier to remove than if on a normal full length shaft. If worse comes to worst, I'm pretty sure I have a few sets of used augers available.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 06-10-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Sidegrinder,
Managed to get one auger off, other one will not move. You said you possibly have some laying around. How would I go about obtaining a set.
Please contact me at my email address, or call me direct if you choose.
Mike
email: [email protected] phone: 3302845421
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page