LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 10-27-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Simplicity Select updates

Simplicity, (Briggs & Stratton) has made some updates to the Simplicity Select lineup as well. This line previously was called "Medium Duty".
The model that impressed me was the M1024e.
Updates include:
Power steering
16" Artic Trac tires
Taller Chute
Redesigned easy turn manual chute rotation control
9.5 Ft Lbs Snow engine
Dual lights housed in metal dash
Heated hand grips are now standard

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 22
If my Googling is correct, the 1024 is priced at $999, which makes it a direct competitor of the Ariens Deluxe 24. The Ariens has a taller bucket (21" vs 19.5"), larger auger and impeller (14" vs 12"), stonger engine (12 vs 9.5 ft/lbs), and visually beefier gearbox. Steering is subjective depending on if you prefer the auto-turn of the Ariens or triggers of the Simplicity. Simplicity has better lights and possibly better chute control. Looks like the Simplicity auger has a through-shaft as well, since it doesn't have additional bracing.

The Ariens should perform significantly better. The Simplicity has its strong points too, but seems a bit light on power.

Are you sure about the heated handgrips? On the website it says NA for the 1024 and 1227.

Last edited by bisonp; 10-30-2018 at 08:51 AM.
post #3 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
If my Googling is correct, the 1024 is priced at $999, which makes it a direct competitor of the Ariens Deluxe 24. The Ariens has a taller bucket (21" vs 19.5"), larger auger and impeller (14" vs 12"), stonger engine (12 vs 9.5 ft/lbs), and visually beefier gearbox. Steering is subjective depending on if you prefer the auto-turn of the Ariens or triggers of the Simplicity. Simplicity has better lights and possibly better chute control. Looks like the Simplicity auger has a through-shaft as well, since it doesn't have additional bracing.

The Ariens should perform significantly better. The Simplicity has its strong points too, but seems a bit light on power.

Are you sure about the heated handgrips? On the website it says NA for the 1024 and 1227.
Yep, I'm sure about the heated handgrips because I bought one. The Ariens is a nice machine but I don't have an Ariens dealer that I like. I also dislike the Ariens chute rotation and lighting. IMHO for my situation the 12" auger and impeller will be fine since it was fine on my old 2 stage. If bigger augers and impellers were absolutely necessary for higher performance then Ariens would offer 16" augers and impellers also. Same with power. I had an 8.0 ft/lbs machine that worked just fine, matter of fact it was way more than adequate, now I have even more power. I also need to clean the yard for the dogs and to have access to my utility trailer. I'm not convinced that Autoturn would work good in the yard.

post #4 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 62
Ariens does offer a 16" auger on the Pro models (impeller stays at 14" but with a slightly higher RPM than other models). The bigger auger / impeller and more powerful engine won't increase the max depth of snow you can go through or anything, but they'll move more volume of snow per amount of time, meaning you get to walk faster in deep snow. Depending on the space you need to clear, how important time is and how often you get deep snow, the time saved may or may not matter (especially factoring in a more expensive machine to move the snow faster).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, Hanky liked this post
post #5 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 15
It really looks like a well designed/usable machine with the controls, lights, and such. Good luck Zavie with the new machine!

AMF/Husky - Gone
Ariens 24 Platinum EFI
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Zavie thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #6 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Yep, I'm sure about the heated handgrips because I bought one. The Ariens is a nice machine but I don't have an Ariens dealer that I like. I also dislike the Ariens chute rotation and lighting. IMHO for my situation the 12" auger and impeller will be fine since it was fine on my old 2 stage. If bigger augers and impellers were absolutely necessary for higher performance then Ariens would offer 16" augers and impellers also. Same with power. I had an 8.0 ft/lbs machine that worked just fine, matter of fact it was way more than adequate, now I have even more power. I also need to clean the yard for the dogs and to have access to my utility trailer. I'm not convinced that Autoturn would work good in the yard.

Thanks for verifying the handgrips, that helps the value for sure.

The current Ariens Deluxe chute control rotation mechanism looks a lot like the mechanism on mine, though mine is a crank style instead of auger. I have to adjust the tension so often I carry a wrench in my coat pocket all winter. Very annoying and something I also really don't like with Ariens.

Still though, that Select engine would seem to be the equivalent of 6.5-7 HP. It will interesting to see how it performs compared to its competitors that have larger engines but may not be as well built otherwise.
post #7 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
bisonp fix the issues its not something that you should need a wrench in your pocket
I have the same setup
its always worked perfect i adjusted it 1 time when i got the machine

never freezes always works nothing to break

its not 6.5 hp to 7 hp its 6 hp on its best day the model number should be 624e shame on simplicity
neither the ariens nor the simplicity is worth a 1k imo
better off used
enjoy your machine zvie

Last edited by 1132le; 10-30-2018 at 12:53 PM.
post #8 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 632
Just for anyone else reading who was looking for some additional context about the engine: the Simplicity lists a 208cc engine. Describing it as 9.5 ft-lb wasn't helping me, as I don't have a sense of the torque from different displacements.

The Ariens Deluxe 24 is 254cc.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #9 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Briggs & Stratton makes two snow engines both of which are 208cc.
One is 8.0 Ft/lbs and one is 9.5 Ft/lbs.

@1132 the HP figures Simplicity states are very accurate. When you personally are a company that has been in business for over 110 years you can quote me HP figures, until then all you have is misinformation.

The main reason I don't buy Ariens:
Every legitimate dealer in my area who caters to professionals and residential customers tells me independently that the reason they just carry one Ariens on their sales floor is so they can service them. Why don't they carry the full line? They can't trust their engines, plain and simple.

post #10 of 50 Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
Briggs & Stratton makes two snow engines both of which are 208cc.
One is 8.0 Ft/lbs and one is 9.5 Ft/lbs.

@1132 the HP figures Simplicity states are very accurate. When you personally are a company that has been in business for over 110 years you can quote me HP figures, until then all you have is misinformation.

The main reason I don't buy Ariens:
Every legitimate dealer in my area who caters to professionals and residential customers tells me independently that the reason they just carry one Ariens on their sales floor is so they can service them. Why don't they carry the full line? They can't trust their engines, plain and simple.
Simplicity rates torque. Not HP. That is not a 9.5 HP engine. It's 9.5 ft/lbs. Which will equate to somewhere under 7 HP.

I've read a lot about the LCT engines here and elsewhere, but I haven't come across any significant problem areas. People seem to be happy with them, other than being from China and having small fuel tanks. What issues are the dealers claiming they see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page