LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
New sigature pro

So I went to purchase my first snowblower...a new orange machine on sale at a big box store... and just couldn't bring myself to do it. For how much it was; it seemed cheesy with all the plastic controls and flimsy handlebars. A friend who does a lot of snowblowing turned me on to simplicity, he convinced me that for not much more money, I could get something substantially better.

I feel like these things are just built like the should be. Old school heavy duty. After looking at a few used units I decided to buy new, I can't believe how much heavier built these are the others I looked at. To my surprise not many of the dealers stock the signature pro models around me, I ended up finding a dealer that was little further away that had three in stock two 24" models and a 38" or something huge.

He called me back and said one of the units is a 28", I kinda had myself sold on a S.P. 24 but now I'm wondering if the couple extra hundred is worth the higher output motor and slightly wider cut path? I don't really need a bigger unit, but I really want to buy a snowblower once and be done.

The one thing Im not crazy about is the electronically controlled chute. Do these hold up? wish there was an option to use a manually operated chute at cost savings.

Last edited by simplyorange; 11-17-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
aboard!

Good choice. I am a fan of the Signature Pro especially after this year’s revisions. They have an all new electric chute control unit that came out this year. Good news is it was done to address the many complaints about the previous chute control that often failed (see YouTube vids on fixing them). The bad news is there really is no history yet on the reliability of the new chute control. I am optimistic that it will be a lot more dependable than the previous design, hopefully more Honda like. To answer your question about spending a little more when looked at it over the long haul for the 28” model. I would go for that one unless space is an issue or you have a lot of cars on your drive to work around when clearing. Other good alternatives the newly redesigned Toro Powermax HD1028 OHXE or the Ariens Pro 28. Good luck and keep us posted!

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
MAZEL TOV on that 1 ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 302
Likes (Received): 133
Welcome from Western Canada and let us know what you end up getting.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
I can't say how well they hold up but once you use a remote chute control you won't want to go back to cranking one around again.
I don't remember seeing but one or two people complaining about them and usually it's the cost to replace the motor. That's just the way it is for the convenience.
I used a new Troy equipped with a remote and it was really handy having that little joystick to operate the chute.

You don't hear much about Simplicity but I think it's a good choice and they are sturdy and built to last IMHO.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #6 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well I Ended up going 28"... didn't really want to spend more money yet... but like Cardo said; in the end the extra money spent over the life of the machine is peanuts. My dealer worked with me a little bit on price so I went for it. I liked the idea of the slightly higher output briggs, also like that the 28" is the smallest with that engine package. Should be a hot little setup.

Last edited by simplyorange; 11-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Oh look it's the newer up dated model. Sweat. I think you will be very happy with it.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 90
Hello again Snowblower Forum,

So this is my Return after 4 years away......

To Simply Orange: I would go for the 28Inch if you don't mind a little more weight and size. I believe I saw someone mention to you going between cars but also if you store it in your garage it does take up a bit of room. So something to consider. I would also go to his store yourself and ask to look at both models...have him show you the differences but also ask if you can move them around.....to get a feel for the weight and manuverability of the two you might find the difference is moot. Just a thought. Definitely think about weight and space. I like old school but wouldn't mind some of the creature comforts.....Hand warmers,,,,chute toggle.....NICE!!! As everyone states on here always check your oil.....everytime before your start it...tire pressure.....make a checklist for yourself but always do your list before starting it. Means everything. Others might add to the list but make one for yourself....

Oh you got the 28...AWESOME...ENJOY the BAD BOY!!!

I have an 85 Simplicity 870/828. I finally blew up my HM80. My fault to....
The only time I did not check the oil in my time of owning it...and I mean only.....ok here is the story...this past April the 9th storm which I am sure a lot of you all on here remember.....We had no power for days. My sister calls me up and tells me my B. I. L. is coming over with a generator to hurry up and go make a path for the generator. So I fly out to the garage break out the 870 check the gas prime the engine I start it and think to myself...You did not check the oil......Simplicity is still running......I think to myself again.....You did not check the oil....I hear my sister in my head hurry up and make a path....So I say to myself you have always checked it and it is fine.....So I go plow the path out back behind house and think this sounds a little funny but did fine..I come back around front to start front walkway to front steps and Bing..........blllllllllllllltttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........a god awful noise and STOPS RUNNING......and I knew immediately......BLOWN ENGINE. I will never forget that noise. HM80 ROD through side of engine......!!!!!!!! I was so *&^%$#@ pissed!(I hope that is ok to use) . I parked it in the garage and Just pulled it out two days ago.

So know I am looking for a Replacement engine and was wondering if any SIMPLICITY 870 owners on here have had to do an engine swap???? Or advice from anyone would be great. I have a guy near with a Craftsman that has a Tec. 143.99001 HMSK80/90 Family:VTP318U1G2RB DOM 8217D.....Anyone familiar with that engine......Is it a decent swap for my now uselss HM80/155209K?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
Oh look it's the newer up dated model. Sweat. I think you will be very happy with it.
My initial thoughts are that I think im going to be really happy with it, gave it a once over and everything looks good for the most part. Few little things I might do before the snow flies but Im super excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicitySolid22 View Post
...So I say to myself you have always checked it and it is fine.....So I go plow the path out back behind house and think this sounds a little funny but did fine..I come back around front to start front walkway to front steps and Bing..........blllllllllllllltttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........a god awful noise and STOPS RUNNING......and I knew immediately......BLOWN ENGINE.

So did your unit typically use a-little oil or leak? Im pretty good about checking fluids on my engines, Ill definitely keep it up.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyorange View Post
My initial thoughts are that I think im going to be really happy with it, gave it a once over and everything looks good for the most part. Few little things I might do before the snow flies but Im super excited.

So did your unit typically use a-little oil or leak? Im pretty good about checking fluids on my engines, Ill definitely keep it up.
No not at all did not mean to scare you it is not a simplicity thing it was a Tecumseh thing.......but having an infamous HM80(known to throw rods) on mine you always had to make sure the oil was at full capacity. I just have a feeling mine was not at capacity on that last use back in April. You will not have that problem at all...different engine...so no frets But always check your oil before every use...never hurts. Not sure what oil you use or is recommended but I know synthetic have a better pour point in the cold. Conventional oils vary...... I always used Valvoline conv. because pour point was -32.8deg. F. I tried Mobil super 5000 conv. this last year(17/18) and I wish i hadn't. I could not find pour point on Mobil products. I always used Valvoline and it ran great. So I did a little research on pour point and Castrol, Pennzoil conventional both have a pour point of -43.6deg. F, Valvoline -32.8 deg.F(as stated previous) and Quaker state -27.4 deg. F. So if I go conventional again I will go with Castrol or Pennzoil 5w30. Or the brand the your manufacturer recommends. Cant go wrong with Snow king either.

Holy Heck...I think because I have not been here in 4 years I am trying to make up for lost time.....Sorry to blab!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page