Possibly buying a used Simplicity Snow Blower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 2
Possibly buying a used Simplicity Snow Blower

Hi everyone,

This will be the first time I've ever bought a snow blower. I'm partial to the Simplicity brand. My grandfather bought one back in the early 90's and it ran great even when my father sold it in 2017 because he was moving. I'm thinking about buying the one in the link below. I'm told it's a 24" with an 8HP motor. I spoke to the gentleman on the phone and he was unsure what year it was from because he bought it used a year or two ago. He said it runs great. Poking around online, I'm thinking it might be a Sno-Away 10. The picture in the link is not very good but I'm wondering if any experience Simplicity guys can tell me more about this snow blower based on this one picture. I'm going to look at it on Saturday morning. If anyone has any idea on the model, how old it is and any other comments, I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

https://vermont.craigslist.org/for/d...754038815.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
The eBay logo says to me that the seller may have used the photo from an eBay listing and it may not be the actual blower they are selling.

Ask the seller before you make the trip, unless it's only 1-2 miles away.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post
The eBay logo says to me that the seller may have used the photo from an eBay listing and it may not be the actual blower they are selling.

Ask the seller before you make the trip, unless it's only 1-2 miles away.

I asked him about that. He said that he posted it on eBay as well and just used the same picture. He said it was a picture of the actual snow blower. I was concerned as well because it is about an hour and a half away from me. I was going to ask for more pictures but he was an old farm guy so I don't think he's too good with technology.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
to SBF ABOSWORTH

I love those and they are built like tanks. Why not his own photo of his machine. The Ebay watermark only goes on after it's listed on the ebay site. He should still have the original on his camera or computer.
I tried searching for it on Ebay and it's not there in current sales or expired.

Be careful grasshopper.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-29-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
to SBF ABOSWORTH

I love those and they are built like tanks. Why not his own photo of his machine. The Ebay watermark only goes on after it's listed on the ebay site. He should still have the original on his camera or computer.
I tried searching for it on Ebay and it's not there in current sales or expired.

Be careful grasshopper.

I agree it is kind of odd. I guess I will just ask him to send me some more pictures before I travel all the way out there. I'd be pretty mad if I drove all that way and it wasn't in the condition in the picture. I was on the phone with him for about 10 minutes and he seemed like a genuine old farm fella so I really don't think he's trying to swindle me or anything but you never know. I'll give him a call in a little bit and ask if he can send me some close up pictures before I go out there.

Thank you for the input
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #6 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 31
This snowblower frame design has been around for a long time. Just looking at it though, I believe that's a brigg's OHV engine on it (8hp) I'm guessing it's a newer 860 model or an early P1524 model.

None the less, if this is legit, it's a very good buy if the machine is in good working order. New, the machine is well north of the 1K.

But as other's pointed out, it seems sketchy.....sniff it out, but keep your eyes open.

Steve

Simplicity 860DLXE (1694241)
post #7 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsm View Post
This snowblower frame design has been around for a long time. Just looking at it though, I believe that's a brigg's OHV engine on it (8hp) I'm guessing it's a newer 860 model or an early P1524 model.

None the less, if this is legit, it's a very good buy if the machine is in good working order. New, the machine is well north of the 1K.

But as other's pointed out, it seems sketchy.....sniff it out, but keep your eyes open.

Steve

Thank you for the information. Yes, I will definitely keep my eyes open. As I said, he doesn't strike me as a dishonest person. The only thing I would have on the line would be wasted travel time. I definitely would not buy it if it was a piece of junk when I got there. I'm glad to know that it is a good deal if it is as described though so thank you again for your post.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 243
My big wonder is if he purchased it used last year, Why is he selling it?

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 109
Imo this is one of Simplicitys best series for that model of blower. It has a decent Briggs ohv and the bucket appears to still be the thick steel metal. Newer ones are not as thick of gauge metal. I've measured. 350 is a good price for that machine if everything check out.

74 Ariens 832
8? FMC Bolens 824
02 White 4x4 Snow Boss
90 Lawn Boy ST320
88 Honda 300FW w/plow
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ABOSWORTH, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilateen02 View Post
Imo this is one of Simplicitys best series for that model of blower. It has a decent Briggs ohv and the bucket appears to still be the thick steel metal. Newer ones are not as thick of gauge metal. I've measured. 350 is a good price for that machine if everything check out.
I second Guilateen02 opinion but one, not a good price, a great price. This is the best snowblower of it's size out there.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page