Simplicity Power Boost - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 291
I’m intrigued by simplicities use of a variable auger drive pulley. The closest I’ve seen to a visual of the piece is a silly animated video on YouTube.

Anyone with a newer Signature Pro mind pulling their belt cover and posting some pics of under the hood?

My understanding is that it’s not a RPM dependent system like a snow mobile CVT. Instead it’s load dependent, increased load on the auger and impeller applies greater force on the drive pulley halves. This spreads the spring loaded halves reducing the pulley diameter allowing the keep the engine from bogging.

Thoughts?

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 175
Garage
rather have the sho bigger pulley on all the time nothing to break
no bogging with the 414cc unlike these guys saying my 6/24 is just as good smh
this 1 day at bandcamp its gtting deep
post #3 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post

Agreed. Now if the drive system were set up so that when it hit full engine load it started to slow the ground speed (and maybe auger, but not impeller speed) to reduce the rate of snow ingestion, that would be perfect (as it would make it easier to run the machine right up to the limit of what it could process and stay there instead of having to run below the limit to avoid bogging from accidentally going over the limit). Of course, this assumes enough impeller speed that you'd start to bog before spilling snow over the sides of the bucket due to insufficient processing rate.
post #4 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 254
Likes (Received): 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
I’m intrigued by simplicities use of a variable auger drive pulley. The closest I’ve seen to a visual of the piece is a silly animated video on YouTube.

Anyone with a newer Signature Pro mind pulley their belt cover and posting some pics of under the hood?

My understanding is that it’s not a RPM dependent system like a snow mobile CVT. Instead it’s load dependent, increased load on the auger and impeller applies greater force on the drive pulley halves. This spreads the spring loaded halves reducing the pulley diameter allowing the keep the engine from bogging.

Thoughts?

I will get you pictures tomorrow, I'm done for the day.

Put quite simply, it works. I know, because I have it. It took down wet, heavy snow at my dads, threw it from the middle of a 30 foot driveway, about 3 cars wide, cleared the end of the driveway and then some. Your description is right on.

Regarding HP and CCs as a basis for anything, as others have pointed out in other posts, I think it was Zavie summed it up best when he said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
LOL, could not agree with you more. First of all any talk about more or less CC's or HP is completely useless. Unless the power from the engine is transmitted exactly the same between different machines to the impeller and auger, (no it never is) than any spouting about "this much will give you this" is just clueless bantering.

I said it this way, same thought, different words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
It's like street racing on paper. Some guys will give you 10,000 reasons why their car will beat yours, until you line up at the light, and it doesn't.

I agree 100.....no 1000%!

Last edited by jsup; 01-03-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #5 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Agreed. Now if the drive system were set up so that when it hit full engine load it started to slow the ground speed (and maybe auger, but not impeller speed) to reduce the rate of snow ingestion, that would be perfect (as it would make it easier to run the machine right up to the limit of what it could process and stay there instead of having to run below the limit to avoid bogging from accidentally going over the limit). Of course, this assumes enough impeller speed that you'd start to bog before spilling snow over the sides of the bucket due to insufficient processing rate.

What you want is automatic load sensing hydrostatic drive, go ahead, design and market it.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jsup thanked for this post
Likes jsup, KingDavey liked this post
post #6 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 276
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 626
Quote:
But Simplicity has a 420cc machine, so they can have plenty of engine available as well.

Risk of breakage is definitely a risk, no question. There are more moving parts, and they're on a critical component. I don't know how many of these are in the field, and how they've performed. Hopefully if the spring failed, it would just let the pulley open fully, just acting like a small-diameter pulley (but still hopefully letting you clear snow).

But I like the fact that PowerBoost can offer:
- fast-spinning impeller & augers, so a long throwing distance, and a lot of snow-processing per second, when the load is light enough and permits that. Performing more like a large-diameter SHO pulley.
- high-torque to the impeller & augers, when the snow gets heavy, like nasty EOD. Helping to reduce bogging, when a large-diameter pulley would work against you (making engine bogging more likely).

Even a beefy vehicle will drop down a gear or two when doing something like pulling a heavy load up a hill. Transmissions are helpful for dealing with different conditions, whether it's a car, bike, or presumably, a blower's impeller system.

It sounds to me like the best of both worlds. Especially if it was set up "perfectly", to only decrease the pulley diameter just as the engine started to bog down. Unfortunately, since it's just a spring, it's probably difficult to set up "perfectly".

I'd like to try a machine with this sometime, but haven't gotten to yet.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jsup thanked for this post
Likes jsup, Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #7 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 242
Likes (Received): 284
Quote:
there's no need to communicate your fondness of the bandcamp champ 414 SHO in every post

ITS TATTOOED IN OUR BRAINS NOW

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen, Zavie liked this post
post #8 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post

- high-torque to the impeller & augers, when the snow gets heavy, like nasty EOD. Helping to reduce bogging, when a large-diameter pulley would work against you (making engine bogging more likely).
Great post, I just wanted to comment on this part. This would REDUCE the differential between a larger engine and a smaller one, basically negating any advantage the larger engine has. It realistically can make the smaller engine out perform the bigger engine.

Instead of driving around town in second gear, you get to use them all. I'll take a smaller engine with gears over a larger engine without gears any time. In any contraption with a rotational engine, gears always help.

Last edited by jsup; 01-03-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #9 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Iím intrigued by simplicities use of a variable auger drive pulley. The closest Iíve seen to a visual of the piece is a silly animated video on YouTube.

Anyone with a newer Signature Pro mind pulley their belt cover and posting some pics of under the hood?

My understanding is that itís not a RPM dependent system like a snow mobile CVT. Instead itís load dependent, increased load on the auger and impeller applies greater force on the drive pulley halves. This spreads the spring loaded halves reducing the pulley diameter allowing the keep the engine from bogging.

Thoughts?

There is a very heavy duty spring between the drive and auger pulleys and you are exactly right about how it works. A sudden load at auger/fan will increase belt tension causing the two halves to separate in essence dropping a gear.

Your typical snow blowing experience is through a fairly consistent depth and consistency with the machine not laboring at a comfortable speed for the conditions. When attacking the EOD pile which would start to bog a machine down the belt tension increases and the engine grunts back into the powerband temporarily. Wheel drive does not bog an engine down in snow it is the bucket end.

The only problems I have encountered with this system on many machines over more than a few years is that the sliding pulley half can rust from inactivity disabling the power boost feature and require a freeing up with penetrating spray and tapping.
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #10 of 61 Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
OK OK, I ran down to the garage. Here's your pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190103_204547922.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	150933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190103_204531480.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	150935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190103_204521712.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	150937   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190103_204516389.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	150939  
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Dag Johnsen, drmerdp, Mike C. thanked for this post
Likes Zavie liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page