LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 01-22-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 292
Simplicity 860se Rejuvenation

I have a 80s-90s 860se. It’s a rat, it was cheap, and I’m bringing it back to life. The focus is on a mechanical restoration, a sanding, and a coat of paint.

I like older snowblowers with some vintage to them. But not to vintage. This is a good compromise, and it’s about as old as me. But it needed a ton of help, a bit more then I anticipated. Probably should have passed this one up, oh well.

The bucket was a rusty disaster, and the impeller and augers were rusted in place. Lots and lot of heat and an air hammer were nessesary to dismantle the business end of this thing.

Not a single blade on the impeller was straight. Using a press as a fixture for holding the impeller and a couple mini sledges I beat it back into shape. I essentially test and tuned the impeller back into a 1/8” of housing gap. Better then factory, I still added impeller seals.

The drive train is a wreck! Worn out bearings, worn out bushings, elongated bolt holes through shafts, and tons of slop. I wanted a project, well, I got one.

While the traction drive system is robust in design, it can clearly wear out. It’s nice to see sealed ball bearings supporting nearly everything. The problem the steel shafts ends that slip into the bearings inner race have worn out significantly. The OD is way off but I am not buying new shafts.

So I found some steel tube and fashioned up some shims. I ground the OD to match the bearing, and ground the shaft to match the shim and used an adhesive RTV to assemble. I though about using JB weld or loctite. It wouldn’t matter either way.

Next is the axle shaft. The wheel pin holes and the gear sprocket bolt hole are large ovals. Once again, more drivetrain slop. I welded the holes closed and re drilled new 5/16” holes. I also noticed the sprocket assembly and axle shaft have unused provisions for a woodruff key and it corresponds with the bolt hole. So that’s a no brainer, I’ll be using that to take the load off the sprockets fastening bolt.

That’s as far as I got today, hopefully I can reassemble everything tomorrow and move on the next phase.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, dbert liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update time.

I got a lot done on the old girl. I literally went through the entire machine almost everything was out of whack but it’s back together in perfect form.

Full paint job, new tires, new bearings, new bushings, adjustments, adjustments, grease, skid shoes, shave plate.... Fun fact, my old Falline poly skids from my HSS Honda Fit perfect.

BTW duplicolor engine enamel in Chevy Orange-Red is nearly a dead nuts match to the original “deep orange” for less the half the price. And covers very nicely.

I have the predator 301 spinning 3800rpms, yielding an Impeller speed of 931rpms. I haven’t had any snow to test the machine with, but I’m betting that there’s plenty of room for improvement in that department. I’ll be looking into a different pulley combination or maybe even adding simplicity’s Power Boost system.

I’ve also contemplated repowering my old little wonder walkbehind blower with the 301 and picking up a predator 420 for the simplicity.

Anyone know if the 420 will physically fit on a 24” machine without the valve cover protruding beyond the width of the bucket??

I’d really like to add lights to the snowblower, but I’d have to gamble on retrofitting gx270 parts that might not work well. Untapped bosses, different crank tapers, and what not.

I also rejetted the carb from .036 to .037, it starts in 2 pulleys in 0 degree F and 1 pull above 15 degrees. I have an adjustable main jet I bought from eBay a while back that I might try out.

Little update time:

Got my added touch, a sticker from a newer, but still older simplicity pro.

I haven’t had a good enough snowfall to really test the machine, but I was able to try it out on some wet plow piles. No surprise it tossed the wet stuff 20+ feet, and the predator 301 has plenty of guts. I thought about swapping a predator 420 in its place, but I honestly do not feel the need for it yet.

If I re-gear the auger drive to a bigger pulley the 420 might be a good move, but until then the 301 has power to spare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tdipaul, db130, Zavie, classiccat, Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 88
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
You work FAST! It's beautiful. Following what you did, I don't have the time for this project. You must have a warm garage and room to work. I am interested how this Simplicity goes through the snow especially the EOD.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have the benefit of being an automotive technician and a shop to work in. I really didn’t want to dilly dally on this one, I wanted it together for the last snow storm that rolled though, but it was a bust unfortunately. Hopefully some real snow comes our way soon so I can continue to test and tune.

All in all, this will make a nice birthday present for my father. His current 28” MTD gold has proven to be a great machine, but its balance and size is tough on a 74 year old man. He likes snowblowing (runs in the family) and I like that he stays active. This should be a nice upgrade for him.

post #5 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 07:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 119
Bravo!

post #6 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 244
Likes (Received): 287
love these rejuvenation type of threads

nice job

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5/24)
2015 Snapper Pro SW30 52" Mower
post #7 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Wow,nice restoration.

I have an early eighties Allis/Simplicity 870 that is in pretty much the same shape as what you started with...bent impeller,sloppy drivetrain,one auger seized,found rust-through on the hopper bottom recently,etc.

I wish I had your enthusiasm for this sort of thing-I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do an overhaul this summer..or buy something else.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 122
Likes (Received): 109
Very nice work. For the paint prep, did you media blast or wire wheel? Also, did you weld and redrill holes in the wheels or just in the axle? I have noticed this drive-train slop on the older machines too.

Thanks

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #9 of 33 Old 02-01-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm12 View Post
Very nice work. For the paint prep, did you media blast or wire wheel? Also, did you weld and redrill holes in the wheels or just in the axle? I have noticed this drive-train slop on the older machines too.

Thanks
I sand blasted the wheels, augers, and impeller. Everything else was wire wheeled with a very large grinder and braided wire wheel. I didn’t fully strip everything. Just the loose paint and getting the metal free of rust. Everything got wiped down with lacquer thinner and primed. Multiple coats smoothed out the finish but it’s far from the perfection of brand new. I’d call it a 6 foot paint job. Looks Perfect from 6 feet away.

I did not weld and drill the wheel holes yet The wheel offset overhangs the pin lock hole, so drilling straight through is going to be tricky. Even with a right angle drill and super short 5/16ths bit.

It needs it really bad though, I’m kinda procrastinating on that.

post #10 of 33 Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 122
Likes (Received): 109
Thanks for reply. Like I said, the slop in the axle holes bugs me too. Still trying to determine a way to shim that a bit to improve. I'm tempted to find a pin made of plastic, install the pin into the wheel, pour in some JB Weld, then remove the pin just before the JB Weld hardens.

Anyways, thanks for the info and great work on the machine.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page