LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Voltage question p2138e

Howdy everyone! Just picked up a 2012 model year p2138e. It has the Briggs 2100. It's been sitting for a couple years, and I'm trying to get it all good to go. I typically work with ariens machines, this is my first simplicity.

Does anyone know what the voltage should be after the regulator? At high rpms the motor is putting out about 19 volts AC, and after the regulator its putting out about 5.5 volts DC. The chute seems sluggish, the light almost goes out when using the chute, and the hand warmers dont work. I've been looking, but I cant seem to find the proper output voltage of the regulator. I would guess it should be 12v, but that would just be a guess. Any info would be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
It's best if you can provide the complete Briggs model and serial number, in order to identify which alternator and regulator you have installed. But in general, the A/c Volts going into the regulator should be approx 30 ACV and 13.6 DCV coming out of the regulator. If you have the Simplicity model & Serial numbers, it's also useful in determining the wiring and accessories that you have.

GLuck, Jay
post #3 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Briggs part number 25M137-0112-F1

Thanks for the quick response! If those are the typical voltage readings, it sounds like my alternator may be pretty much shot. One more question: the machine has a high rpm surge, but low idle is smooth. Typically I'd look at the carb for that, but could it be the low voltage? Maybe a weak spark? Does the coil draw power from the same alternator as the accessories?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 83
Normally, I'd say surging caused by carb also.... But I just looked up your engine. Does it have a fuel cut solenoid at the bottom??
If it does, I'd say look at charging system first, particularly the coil/flywheel. Then chase the surge, possibly a main jet restriction or governor adjustment.

GLuck, Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in