LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Angry Simplicity model L1226 snowblower

Hi, All. I'm ready to put my snowblower away and thought I'd replace both belts. The drive belt was replaced last year and seems to pull well. Auger belt however, had to be replaced during season because it was slipping like crazy. My question is: my local supplier always charges way too much for these belts and I was wondering if any one new of an off the shelf replacement? Something I could buy almost anywhere? Tried NAPA one year and belt was too loose buy just a fraction but enough that I had to bite the bullet and buy from my local shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 99
Strange that you need to replace your auger belt so frequently. Does your machine have an adjustment on the tensioner idler wheel mounting? Often the idler mounting plate has a slotted section that the mounting bolt fits (carriage bolt head fits the slot). So when belt wears just loosen the nut and slide the idler wheel toward the belt and tighten the nut. Check the right tension on the straight length of belt by clamping the auger clutch lever to the bar and pressing the belt in the center of drive side straight length toward the idler. The distance should be up to half an inch before the idler wheel moves. If you have over half an inch of play and you are at full adjustment then you need a new belt.

Factory belts may be more expensive but they are better quality and right sized.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #3 of 4 Old 03-30-2019, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 54
Likes (Given): 115
Likes (Received): 57
Simplicity used odd sized belts due to not wanting a customer to by an "off the shelf" belt from an autoparts store. Napa can get a lot of the belts that are made to that size if you know the exact size, thats where I get most of mine at. I have the book for the "Simple City" belts by part number and their exact size and construction so I can order the custom sizes when they are available elsewhere.
The book I have is a dealer book and I have an online account with Briggs&Stratton, the makers of Simplicity so it is always updated with all the new parts.
Check your belt tensioner idler pulley bearings and your belt finger/guide locations to make sure there are no obstructions. Check all of your bearings in the auger and paddle/blower shafts and check for resistance in the auger gearbox.
You can get most of the jacketed belts from Napa, either the green belts or the "Blade Runner" brown belts that are the right size and they are better than original most of the time.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-14-2019, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmanusa View Post
Hi, All. I'm ready to put my snowblower away and thought I'd replace both belts. The drive belt was replaced last year and seems to pull well. Auger belt however, had to be replaced during season because it was slipping like crazy. My question is: my local supplier always charges way too much for these belts and I was wondering if any one new of an off the shelf replacement? Something I could buy almost anywhere? Tried NAPA one year and belt was too loose buy just a fraction but enough that I had to bite the bullet and buy from my local shop.
Simplicity is having issues with belts and cables so hmmm... check with your dealer.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page