Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Restoring Simplicity Sno Away

Hey all,

I had posted this on the intro page then realized it belongs here:

Picked up the below 1962(?)Simplicity Sno Away for $28. I originally bought it for the engine as I love those old Lauson Tecumseh's and have a few. The Tillotson carburetor is crazy complicated and I want a few spares because you can't find these or gasket / repair kits anywhere (would love to be proven wrong on that one). And I just love the look of the engine. Something about it..

Anyway, now that I see there is a whole community out there that restores them I think I want in. The machine is running with gas in the plug hole. Sound really, really good actually. It's these dang carburetors. So I will take it off and clean it up best I can. If anyone has experience with these let me know if there is tricks u may know. When you open them up there are tubes and ducts going everywhere. It's a snow blower not the space shuttle Tecumseh! LOL

As far as the blower itself I think I need the engine cover box thing that goes on top. And the carb heater box but I have one off another Lauson Tecumseh. Can anyone see anything else I am missing here?

Thanks all. Great to be a member.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well I cleaned the Tilotson carb out and mounted it back on and the dang things runs beautifully! What a dream this thing is. AND I found someone on the net with all the rebuild parts for these carbs and ordered one of each part so soon it will be even better. So I am still missing the engine cover and the carb box. I would assume the carb box has speed settings because there is no throttle cable running up to a switch on the handle bar. So that will have to be hunted down. I did find a manual for it on ebay and got that too. Next I'll take much of it apart and painting real purdy. I'm taking pics of all this so I will eventually post a thread on the restoration of this thing. If anyone knows of those engine and carb boxes for this model let me know. Thanks all
post #3 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
No one said anything yet?
Hello, welcome to the site.

I am not that experienced at fixing blowers but figured I would add my 2 cents.

Looks in great shape for it's age.

I was going to say couldn't you buy some gasket material and make some up?
I don't know? Do they still sell different gasket material or do you have to actually by the right gaskets now. Many moons ago I used to make up my own gaskets. But you found them anyway, the internet.....has EVERYthing.

How about making up a carb box out of some sheet metal?

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #4 of 13 Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
just saw the post- Welcome aboard! always nice to have a new face to share info-insight-and just good ope talk. a passion we all enjoy, and always seem to learn more from others here. Come fall/winter chat really gets busy here.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
just saw the post- Welcome aboard! always nice to have a new face to share info-insight-and just good ope talk. a passion we all enjoy, and always seem to learn more from others here. Come fall/winter chat really gets busy here.
Hey Geno and Big Ed,

Yeah I just chalked it up to even you die hards not much into talkin snow blowers while sweatin balls in august. So I figured come fall it would get busy here.

So yeah this is quite a find. I bought the whole blower just to get the carb as a back up for another Tecumseh I'm trying to fix. $28 for even the carb is a good deal, nevermind the whole thing. In the meantime I came here and realized I had something here. And thank God for that because I actually had plans to take the engine off and dump the rest of it in some back alley if I had to. LOL.

So here I am restoring a snow blower. Never thought that would happen but I'm totally into it.

So if anyone comes across the engine and carb box let me know. I could have one made I guess, Big Ed. But I would like to try and keep it as original as possible.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 197
Likes (Received): 283
Have you found any photos of what the original engine cover looked like?
Looking forward to seeing this all happen here.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-23-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
Have you found any photos of what the original engine cover looked like?
Looking forward to seeing this all happen here.
The manual has the part number. I'm sure one turns up eventually.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Check this out, might be a nice day trip for you.
Looks like a lot of parts sitting there.

If you live in Central New York State, Paul Jackson mowers in Seneca Falls is the place to go..they have literally *acres* of lawnmower and snowblower junkyard out back.
Click,
Restoring Simplicity Sno Away-1154618680_jau3n-o.jpg

That is from here, One of our members site.
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Edit,
I am not a die hard. In fact I have been AWOL since April. But winter will soon be here again.
I only have one little Craftsman and found this site searching for answers, my garage is not filled with them as some of the members......yet. You can get answers here and a friendly group as well here. And now I am thinking about getting another too. As with a Classic car I found out that there are Classic snow blowers too.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage

Last edited by Big Ed; 08-24-2014 at 08:35 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
Check this out, might be a nice day trip for you.
Looks like a lot of parts sitting there.

If you live in Central New York State, Paul Jackson mowers in Seneca Falls is the place to go..they have literally *acres* of lawnmower and snowblower junkyard out back.
Click,
Attachment 18129

That is from here, One of our members site.
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Edit,
I am not a die hard. In fact I have been AWOL since April. But winter will soon be here again.
I only have one little Craftsman and found this site searching for answers, my garage is not filled with them as some of the members......yet. You can get answers here and a friendly group as well here. And now I am thinking about getting another too. As with a Classic car I found out that there are Classic snow blowers too.
Thanks for the tip. I live on long Island but I will take a trip up there for sure.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2014, 06:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
that is one monster of a machine. great find there. well worth keeping together. is that a chain drive or belt driven auger setup ? I noticed the chain drive augers on the old blowers like the Snowbirdsa seem to have a little more oomph than the impeller shaft/gearbox type of later designs. i.e., they seem to do more with less HP. less to go wrong with them. easier to service and lube the external sprockets and chain when they wear. that's why motorcycles and dirt bikes used chains for 100 years.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 08-25-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page