post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Introduce myself an my first question

Hello!

I am from Switzerland and 42 years old. I like older mechanical stuff like cars and smaller machines. I have a little house near Zurich.
On Saturday I get a old Simplecity snowblower from a friends friend for free. After some hours it made his first breath. Very nice!
Now I have two problems to solve:

The aircleaner with the top housing is missing. Does anybody has an idea where I can get a new or used one?

I have a problem with the cluth for the wheel drive: Even if the transmission drive belt is very slack, the belt wouldn't slip. The pulleys are rusty, and I think that it doesn't slip because the grip is to high with the rust. So what can I do? If I polish them they would be rusty again very soon, no? Any idea?

So, thank you very much for your help. I really like this snowblower!

Best regards from Switzerland!
Felix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Video on youtube.com

You may watch a video on youtube.com with my new snowblower:

Regards
Felix
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I would suggest trying to look for the air cleaner on ebay or even contacting the manufacturer directly. As for the pulley I would suggest sandblasting it to remove all the rust then applying a light coat of rust paint to prevent it from rusting again. Hopefully that will allow the clutch to slip when the belt is loose.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by amped_16 View Post
I would suggest trying to look for the air cleaner on ebay or even contacting the manufacturer directly. As for the pulley I would suggest sandblasting it to remove all the rust then applying a light coat of rust paint to prevent it from rusting again. Hopefully that will allow the clutch to slip when the belt is loose.
Thank you very much for the idea!
I just abrade it and put some wd 40 on it. After a few minutes the pulley was polished by the belt. I think if I use it periodically, I won't have the same problem again.

Thank you!
Now I go to enter the next question!

Best Regards
Felix
post #5 of 16 Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That's good to hear. Try to avoid any bare metal from showing as that would show surface rust pretty quickly. Just make sure to use it periodically so that it wont rust that much again.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Luckily, Simplicity blowers are everywhere still. I think if you go through the engine manufacturer, you will be able to find those parts...probably Briggs?
Good luck with it!!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Can you post a pic of your snowblower? Many snowblowers used a Tecumsh engine and most have no air filters as the freezze up quickly. Tecumseh used a "heater box" over the carb & muffler.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
Can you post a pic of your snowblower? Many snowblowers used a Tecumsh engine and most have no air filters as the freezze up quickly. Tecumseh used a "heater box" over the carb & muffler.
Agree, Any older snowblower I've worked on, has no air filter, but does have a metal shroud around the carberetor to keep snow out, Usually the muffler is enclosed also, with only the exhaust outlet outside, to help prevent freeze up. You could probably fabricate one yourself, if you couldn't locate one. good luck. Larry
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota60 View Post
Agree, Any older snowblower I've worked on, has no air filter, but does have a metal shroud around the carberetor to keep snow out, Usually the muffler is enclosed also, with only the exhaust outlet outside, to help prevent freeze up. You could probably fabricate one yourself, if you couldn't locate one. good luck. Larry
Agreed.....I've yet to see one new or old with a filter.....only a "hot box"

Bast regards,
Butch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Defently a Briggs there... Looks like a old one that had a oil bath air cleaner. You might be able to find one used from a old mower, or tiller.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page