post #1 of 15 Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Early Simplicity, Tecumseh vs. Briggs.

Hi all,

Hey i bought a 61 Simplicity past summer that you can see on a thread below that im restoring and it came with what I thought was the original motor, a Lauson Tecumseh H35P 2404P. I saw a guy on ebay selling a 63 with a Briggs and I started up a conversation. He told me ALL the early Simplicity Snow Blowers had Briggs and there would be no way mine would have the original motor on it. He backed it up with saying he worked for Simplicty for 18 yrs. I dont believe this. Especially since I saw someone else on this site that also has the 61 with the same motor as mine. I'm not going to bother restoring it if its not original. I bought the snow blower just for the motor frankly. So can someone let me know? Frankly I think his 63 with a black Briggs is not original. The whole blower is red including engine heater box yet his engine is black. Search ebay for simplicity snow blower you'll see it.
Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-08-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anyone? Haha Cmon guys, you know this! Lol
post #3 of 15 Old 12-09-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Holy mackeral, no one knows? Thought that would be an easy one for this page. Well either way, I like the engine so I'll find a use for that.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
bbaugh's Simplicity:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-sno-away.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaugh66 View Post
Frankly I think his 63 with a black Briggs is not original. The whole blower is red including engine heater box yet his engine is black. Search ebay for simplicity snow blower you'll see it.
Thanks all.
I cant find the specific ebay machine you are referring to..
can you post the link?

but based on the photos of your machine, I agree its VERY likely that is the original engine! paint is an exact match, and the Tecumseh engine tag says its also an early 60's model.. Thats the same Lauson/Tecumseh H35 tag we have seen on 1961 and '62 Ariens models recently in this forum..so that matches 1961 perfectly.

We are now 50 YEARS! removed from when these machines were built!
when the guy said he worked at Simplicity for 18 years, maybe that was 1980 to 1998! That doesnt mean he has the slightest clue what they were doing in 1961.

One of my other hobbies is railroad history..Actual railroad employees know the LEAST about locomotive models and railroad history! because they dont care..im sure this is very often true in other industries, like snowblower manufacturing..just because you were once an employee, doesn't make you an expert.

So im with you bb, it seems very plausable you have the original engine.
please post the ebay link, I want to see what this so-called "original" briggs looks like!

and, just FYI, the reason you got so little response, is simply because no one knows the answer! early Simplicitys are a very unknown topic.. no one, that I know of, has ever researched it..the history, and various models, of many brands simply has not been explored yet..Only Gilson, Ariens and Snowbird has any "hobby" research being done so far..all the other brands are very unknown.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-17-2014, 07:28 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaugh66 View Post
Holy mackeral, no one knows? Thought that would be an easy one for this page. Well either way, I like the engine so I'll find a use for that.
You seem to have quite a unique neat looking combination. It seems that it could be a good collectors item if its for real. Good Luck finding out.

Last edited by AL-; 12-17-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 AM
GSM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
BB,
I have the exact same Simplicity model with identical motor/tag. It is the original motor. I know this because the machine was purchased by my dad in '62/'63. I'll post pics later today.
GSM
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
bbaugh's Simplicity:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-sno-away.html

I cant find the specific ebay machine you are referring to..
can you post the link?

but based on the photos of your machine, I agree its VERY likely that is the original engine! paint is an exact match, and the Tecumseh engine tag says its also an early 60's model.. Thats the same Lauson/Tecumseh H35 tag we have seen on 1961 and '62 Ariens models recently in this forum..so that matches 1961 perfectly.

We are now 50 YEARS! removed from when these machines were built!
when the guy said he worked at Simplicity for 18 years, maybe that was 1980 to 1998! That doesnt mean he has the slightest clue what they were doing in 1961.

One of my other hobbies is railroad history..Actual railroad employees know the LEAST about locomotive models and railroad history! because they dont care..im sure this is very often true in other industries, like snowblower manufacturing..just because you were once an employee, doesn't make you an expert.

So im with you bb, it seems very plausable you have the original engine.
please post the ebay link, I want to see what this so-called "original" briggs looks like!

and, just FYI, the reason you got so little response, is simply because no one knows the answer! early Simplicitys are a very unknown topic.. no one, that I know of, has ever researched it..the history, and various models, of many brands simply has not been explored yet..Only Gilson, Ariens and Snowbird has any "hobby" research being done so far..all the other brands are very unknown.

Scot

Ah now we're getting somewhere! LOL Finally.

Here is the original ad.

I saw it and mailed him stating surely that's not the original engine? He replied below:

There is little chance that black engine came with this model. Looks like no one bought so at least he didn't get over on anyone.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL- View Post
You seem to have quite a unique neat looking combination. It seems that it could be a good collectors item if its for real. Good Luck finding out.
Yes, I saw it on ebay and I have that exact engine with that funky tillotson E7A carb. I could not find parts or a kit for that carb anywhere at the time (I've since found lots of parts for it at Stoller Lawn and Garden, THE BEST!) so I bid for it and won at like $25. I was going to dump the blower itself after taking the engine off until I came here and found that it could be the first Simplicity Snow Blower. Then I became obssessed with restoring it. It runs and everything. However I never got around to doing anything with it and currently it is under a tarp under about 2 feet of snow. HAHA But I will drag it into the garage at some point and start on it.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 PM
GSM

Post Thanks / Like
Simplicity

BB,
Here's the motor tag on my '62 Simplicity. Judging from the close serial numbers these two blowers may have seen each other before. Please excuse the grime. I'm not sure how to send an image, so I hope the attachment goes through.
GSM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simplicity62.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	38481  
post #10 of 15 Old 07-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
My 61 had a Briggs engine originally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page