Is it possible to put the auger on backwards? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-14-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 40
Garage
Is it possible to put the auger on backwards?

I have an 80s Simplicity 860 and had to put the auger back together, and I remember looking at the assy drawing before I started, and it said that each of the auger pieces are marked "L", and "R", but of course no such markings, and I left the drawings at work so I couldn't refrence them when I was putting it back together. Am I going to have to tear this thing back apart, or doesn't it really matter to much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
yes, they can be installed backwards!
If you can post a photo, it should be clear if they are on backwards or not..
the *front* of the augers should angle inward toward the top, and toward the center on both sides, like this:

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Another way to tell is to just spin the impeller in the normal direction of travel. Then picture something or even put something on the floor between the augers. If the object moves towards the center of the bucket you are good. If it moves towards the edges of the bucket you have your L and R flipped. Some augers can also be put on upside down depending on how they bolt to the shaft.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Dag-nab it they are on backwards, I better get that fixed asap, theyre calling for 4-6 inches tonight
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Better to find out now rather than be out there in the cold and you can't figure out why it isn't moving much snow.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Question

I never thought about it, if they are on backwards what would happen when you went to use it?
Would it roll the snow out the front then?

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Instead of the augers forcing snow toward the center of the bucket and the impeller, they would move the snow to the outside edge of the bucket! You would still get a little snow coming out the chute, but not much..basically the snowblower would lose 95% of its effeciency, because the augers would be moving snow away from the impeller instead of towards it..

post #8 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
I wonder how many did that accidentally, then sold the machine because it didn't work right anymore thinking it was something else wrong?
I bet someone somewhere has done that and just bought another blower.
Something to keep in mind if your looking at used blowers the advertise they don't really blow the snow anymore huh?
Some don't know much about machines period, even the simple stuff.

I was going around to different lawnmower shops looking for an old Jacobson's lawnmower drive belt years ago. No one seemed to have one.
I walked into one shop and a big Harley type of guy was explaining to a Clark Kent type of guy how to change the oil in the new lawnmower he had just bought. He told him just warm it up and unscrew the plug and the oil will come out. Then just add a quart (or whatever it was) and it is done.
The guy said he didn't trust his mechanical ability to do it and would prefer to set up an appointment for him to do. As much as the guy tried to explain how easy it was the guy wanted to set up appointments to have him do it.
The guy told him that it was a minimum $45 bucks labor rate just to add the oil and he would be better off doing it himself. But the guy insisted for him to set up an appointment.
After he left he rolled his eyes and said do you believe that?
He said that 75% of his sales are to buyers like that.

I told him heck it keeps you in business right?
He smiled and said yep but I feel like I am stealing their money.
I told him not to worry about it as I saw that he tried over and over (too long as I was waiting) and his customer was happy.
Heck, I would change oil all day at $45 bucks a pop! Quit my job and do it out of my garage, charge them a pickup and delivery charge too. Have a special with the oil change? Only $25 bucks labor to install a new plug with every oil change?

You have to watch what you buy used today, it may have been a Clark Kent type of guy that had tried to do something himself then just decided it was best to get rid of it. Sometimes you could get a deal that way other times you might end up getting burnt.

I knew a guy who handled the repairing and assembly part of Sears machines at Sears. He told me you wouldn't believe the number of buyers who forgot to add oil to the new machine and blew them up.
Back then Sears would take them back and he would fix and sell them half price, I don't know about now.
I think the new machines come with oil in them now, because so many buyers have started them up without the oil?

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #9 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
$45!!! I can do a full syn oil change in my car for less money
post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
$45!!! I can do a full syn oil change in my car for less money
Sure you can. That's why the tech was trying to talk the owner into doing it himself so the tech could actually do some repair work that was needed and the owner could save a few bucks.

For some, they have a lot of money and don't want to be bothered. Some have had a bad experience trying to fix something and now religiously stay away from anything mechanical and others just have no clue, no tools and need someone elses help.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in