LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Smile simplicity 860 friction disc.

Hello, new member and actually own 2 simplicity's. I'm getting ready to install a new friction, and I'm wondering is there any tips to ease the install? I am concerned when it's all back together that it runs at the proper speed in each gear. Thanks for any advice. Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 44
I did my friends a couple months ago and I don't remember the step-by-step but I do remember it only took about a half hour and I remember thinking wow this machine is well engineered it's easy to work on so it's not a bad job, just keep track of your nuts and bolts when you take them on each side. you don't have to take that much a part to do it it's relatively easy. I remember using some cardboard to protect the hexagon shaft when I locked it in my vice to take the bolts out of the disc and I put it back together right in the vice and then carried it back to the machine and reinstalled it.

The meltdown is under way ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91' Toro Powershift 824/Predator 301cc
05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I looked it over and it seems like I take the right bearing retainer off and then the bolt out of the left side shaft.Tthen slide it right that should let it release and take the whole shaft out. I think I'm making a big deal out of the existing disc. It has a small nick in it. I'm going to take a picture of it see what you think. But there so cheap to replace but maybe I'll enjoy it more in the spring lol Thanks for your reply.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5407 View Post
I looked it over and it seems like I take the right bearing retainer off and then the bolt out of the left side shaft.Tthen slide it right that should let it release and take the whole shaft out. I think I'm making a big deal out of the existing disc. It has a small nick in it. I'm going to take a picture of it see what you think. But there so cheap to replace but maybe I'll enjoy it more in the spring lol Thanks for your reply.
They do wear down and the rubber dries out over time. If you replace it clean the aluminum traction disc well ( I use alcohol ) so you dont get any old grease on the rubber. On my friend's machine the axle bolt was frozen in there so bad I just took the whole shaft out it wasn't that hard. If your's is free your job will most likely be even easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
First thanks for replying to my thread. I looked at it tonight and took some pictures. See if I can figure out how to upload. My plan is this
1 remove the black linkage from from bar.
2 remove both bearings an bearing retainers
3 unhook diagonal spring
4 then it looks like it just comes out.

Last edited by Tom5407; 01-20-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add picture
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
simplicity 860 friction disc

simplicity 860 friction disc.-rps20150120_195653_950.jpg
][ATTACH]36785[ATTACH]
Here is my project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	36785  

Last edited by Tom5407; 01-20-2015 at 08:21 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The little rod facing you on the left that goes throught the bushing on the upsiude down u shaped linkage will pop out if you loosen (dont have to remove) the nut on the other side of the bolt in the center at the top, the black bolt facing inward. Got to give it some play to pop that out. After that's loose slide the shaft right and get the chain off the cog. The whole thing will swing out you may need to move the forward-reverse control to finagle it but htat's what I did and it slide right out. After changing the disc out and bolting on the new one, just slide the whole thing back in at the same angle in reverse. Wasn't bad. The photo brought back my memory on it as it was a couple months ago. I do not think I removed any springs they are tough to get in and out.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek

Last edited by Pathfinder13; 01-20-2015 at 08:36 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well those are excellent ideas and makes perfect sense. I didn't want to take off more then I had to. My only other issue is the left wheel is tight and I can't get it off to grease it, right is fine. M buddy and I can turn it and move it out about 3/8". PB Blaster on it and I got a great idea from a tractor forum. In spring I'm going to put both wheels in free wheel and run it up and down driveway to work it loose. If not I'm going to take it to work and press it out. I will get back to you when I do it, part is on order. I would love to try to do a youtube to help others. Only problem is wife would be filming, you know how that goes lol
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5407 View Post
Well those are excellent ideas and makes perfect sense. I didn't want to take off more then I had to. My only other issue is the left wheel is tight and I can't get it off to grease it, right is fine. M buddy and I can turn it and move it out about 3/8". PB Blaster on it and I got a great idea from a tractor forum. In spring I'm going to put both wheels in free wheel and run it up and down driveway to work it loose. If not I'm going to take it to work and press it out. I will get back to you when I do it, part is on order. I would love to try to do a youtube to help others. Only problem is wife would be filming, you know how that goes lol
The axle shaft I think is 3/4 or 7/8. Whatever it is, try a deep socket fit over the end of the axle (impact type if you got one around) and whack it with a mallet. Maybe it will break free. It may be a "burr" from the axle pin shifting in the hole.

05' Toro 3650/ 6.5 RTek
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Will do. Have impact sockets. Seems very dry but definitely not frozen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page