post #1 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 286
Simplicity 1222 Snow Shredder opinions

Hello everyone great Forum!

Looking to see if anyone has experience with this new model yet. It is Simplicity's the top of the line SS with the big 250cc motor . http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/s...s/snowshredder

This Fall I'm giving a nice running Troy Bilt Squall 2100 to my uncle as his 1980's Toro S620 is way past its expiration date.

My conditions:
Central NJ (wet snow usually, 1-3 big storms per year)
4 car driveway
+ 200 feet of sidewalks
+3 elderly neighbors' drives I do during the big storms to help them out

1. How does it handle the end of the driveway? (EoD)

With the Squall and the previous machine, a Toro Sno Commander, one can really fly through the driveway portions of the job (1-10") but the EoD (especially hardened EoD) bogs them down.

I also like keeping the snow in the street cleared up to the curbs so there is parking space and also so the mailman can reach the mailbox. And it looks nice and neat too. So there is approx. 100' worth of EoD type of snow to remove after every storm.

2. At $700 for this machine (and my conditions) do you think it would be wiser to spend a little more and go with a 2 stage, such as a Compact 24 or similar?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by tdipaul; 07-20-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Welcome to SBF Paul
post #3 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 03:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
I actually just sold that Simplicity AND my Compact 24!

The Simplicity (mine did not have the snow shredder auger) was pretty much a beast but is, as is any single stage, limited by the height of the intake, thus the reason for the Compact 24 as well (more on that later). I only sold it because the grooves in our concrete drive that allow for cracking and expansion are wide and the auger would catch on them all the time, sending a jolt through the machine.

I sold the Compact 24 because our drive is somewhat steep and since that model doesn't have auto-turn, I had to leave one wheel unlocked to be able to turn it but that sacrificed traction. I upgraded to the now-standard directional tires and eventually added chains but just wasn't happy with it. I wouldn't say it's hard to turn with the one wheel unlocked but you still have to push it a bit. It's much more difficult with them both locked.

I'm on the fence on what to get next. I have gone back and forth between the new Honda 2 strokes (major $$$) and the Ariens 24 Deluxe or SHO (much heavier and a bit longer than the Compact, though they have auto-turn, still don't know if the wife can use it). I may end up going for the Honda HS720 single stage. It won't help us nearly as much as a two stage with bigger storms, which are fairly rare here, but will be cheaper, more maneuverable and seems to have a different auger design than most of the single stages out there so hopefully won't catch like the Simplicity did.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 05:07 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 588
Garage
you could always look for a good deal on a used two stage on your local cl.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1117
ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Welcome to SBF Paul
Thank you!! I love snow blowers and just about all power equipment in general
post #7 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnsoul View Post
I actually just sold that Simplicity AND my Compact 24!

The Simplicity (mine did not have the snow shredder auger) was pretty much a beast but is, as is any single stage, limited by the height of the intake, thus the reason for the Compact 24 as well (more on that later). I only sold it because the grooves in our concrete drive that allow for cracking and expansion are wide and the auger would catch on them all the time, sending a jolt through the machine.

I sold the Compact 24 because our drive is somewhat steep and since that model doesn't have auto-turn, I had to leave one wheel unlocked to be able to turn it but that sacrificed traction. I upgraded to the now-standard directional tires and eventually added chains but just wasn't happy with it. I wouldn't say it's hard to turn with the one wheel unlocked but you still have to push it a bit. It's much more difficult with them both locked.

I'm on the fence on what to get next. I have gone back and forth between the new Honda 2 strokes (major $$$) and the Ariens 24 Deluxe or SHO (much heavier and a bit longer than the Compact, though they have auto-turn, still don't know if the wife can use it). I may end up going for the Honda HS720 single stage. It won't help us nearly as much as a two stage with bigger storms, which are fairly rare here, but will be cheaper, more maneuverable and seems to have a different auger design than most of the single stages out there so hopefully won't catch like the Simplicity did.
Right on, I might go the same route as you!

It seems there is no perfect piece of equipment in areas where big snow is not the norm. The speed of an SS is nice but it would be great to have just a little more oomph for the EoD.

Too bad nobody makes a "1.5" stage LOL
post #8 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdipaul View Post
Too bad nobody makes a "1.5" stage LOL
I've been thinking the same thing for years - you would think there would be a market for a bigger single stage or a bit smaller 2 stage.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
One would think.

My Dad had a Wheel Horse with this blower and it did well (for a SS).

My guess is a 250cc engine could easily power a narrower (say 24"?) version to better tackle the EoD
post #10 of 20 Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Welcome, and albeit that appears to be able to do the job, there's a lot more to it. The density of the snow, the speed of the feed machine, and height of the auger opening.

Snow fall, and accumulations are not consistent, so inevitably you have to plan for the worst case scenario. With EOD, you will need chew power. That means that the augers will need to be able to chew through and the impeller strong enough to eject it.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page