post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
1222 electric chute

Hi folks,

New member here. Just sold my Ariens 824 2-stage to replace with a lighter-weight single stage blower.

I came across the Simplicity 1222EE and its cousin the 922EXD. I really like the 1222 because it has a light, and I am outside clearing on a lot of mornings before sunrise. This is the only single-stage model I can find with a light, and overall it looks like a premium single-stage machine.

However, that electric chute bothers me. What happens if the alternator or the switch fails? Is there a manual override or would I be stuck in whatever position the chute is in? I know this is unlikely especially with proper maintenance, but I would sure prefer a mechanical crank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 15
I think you'd be stuck. I had the 922EX before they came out with the snow shredder auger and it was a great little blower. The bigger engine on the 1222 and the new auger seem to be a good combination but I'd also definitely prefer the manual controls. Eventually that power rotator is gonna fail when you need it.

2016 Toro Power Clear 721 QZE
2016 Toro Power Max HD 1028OHXE
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 156
Hi coachDOC and welcome to the forum. There is a manual chute control single stage snowblower with 2 LED lights. It's the Husqvarna ST151.

2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Also under the "Brute" name Briggs and Stratton makes the near identical model with a light and manual chute. Here is a link:Brute 22" Single Stage Snow Blower with SnowShredder™ Auger - Snow Blowers | Brute Power
I'd be inclined to go with the Brute.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to SBF coachDOC. Simplicity and Brute are both part of the Briggs and Stratton Corp. product lines, so there's a good chance there are a lot of similarities between the two.

http://www.basco.com/Our%20Brands/

The snow shredder auger and lights being two that stand out. Looks to have the same engine as the Simplicity you are considering. The Brute has the manually adjustable chute you are looking for.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
The Cub Cadet 1x 221LHP Single Stage 21" Snow Thrower also has a headlight, remote chute rotation (mechanical) remote deflector control, 208cc engine and sells for around $599. It is rated pretty highly by some review publications but it's still an MTD product so I don't know what the long term durability of these machines are.

Does anyone know if the Cub Cadet line is of higher quality than most of the other MTD offerings?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Welcome to SBF coachDOC. Simplicity and Brute are both part of the Briggs and Stratton Corp. product lines, so there's a good chance there are a lot of similarities between the two.

Our Brands : BASCO

The snow shredder auger and lights being two that stand out. Looks to have the same engine as the Simplicity you are considering. The Brute has the manually adjustable chute you are looking for.

Thanks for all the replies!

Turns out the local Simplicity dealer wheeled out a snowblower with a Briggs label on it. And his catalog was for Snapper snowblowers. All 3 brands are the same product with even the same model numbers. Thanks to the links here, I see the Brute is similar, and I think Murray has a model similar to the base model Briggs.

I can't figure out how to find this Brute though. Website says it is the Menard's house brand, but the Menards stores around here don't have them. The front page of that Brute site says it has the larger engine, and the engine spec page says it has the small one. That does not inspire enough confidence to buy this sight unseen.

Nobody local sells Husqvarna snow equipment. There's one Cub dealer outside of HD. Maybe I'll take a look at those too.

I'd like a machine that's going to last 20 years here. Just one failure of that electric chute would be too many.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
All our Menards here have the Brute snowblower lineup. I've seen the snowblower in person and it is really a twin of the Snapper-Simplicity. If you decide to go with one see if your local Menards can order in one for you.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
All our Menards here have the Brute snowblower lineup. I've seen the snowblower in person and it is really a twin of the Snapper-Simplicity. If you decide to go with one see if your local Menards can order in one for you.
Thanks. I did find a store about 40 miles away that has this unit. It is clearly the same build as Snapper/Simplicity/Briggs but in a different configuration. It's $599 for the 205cc engine, manual chute, headlight. Local stores have the Simplicity 922EXD $599 for 205cc engine, remote chute (non-electric), and no headlight. All have electric start.

Meanwhile, $699 around here will get the larger 250cc engine and headlight, but the electric chute.

40 miles is a long way to drive for a headlight. I may just see if there's a headlight kit that I could add to the 922EXD.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
I was at the Menards in my area today, and they had a couple of Brute single stage snowblowers on hand. So, I stopped to take a look at the one that had the serrated snow shredder auger, which was really impressive to see. Seems it should cut it's way through just about any snow condition thrown at it. Unfortunately, like so many things at Menards, the display was about 5 feet off of the floor, so giving it a good once over was difficult. From what I could tell, it looked like the quality was pretty darn good.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page